Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, looking for some advice.

Purchased a 2000 triple touring (600) with 1200 miles on it. I do not have any expierance with this sled. It is completely stock.

Are there any service bulltins on the engine or chasis that I should be aware of?

Any weird and wonderful things that are paticular to this engine or chasis that I should be on the look out for?

I have an 02 Pantera and it runs like a top. I dont want to get stuck with my kids on the side of the trail with this 600 if I can help it.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Ben

·
Registered
288 Posts
This sled will be more likely to get stuck with the added weight so you are gunna have to be careful. Im not sure on the service bulletons. The AC triples run very strong and you should be very happy with it. Also, the purr of a triple is one of the best noises you will ever hear!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah, keep it on the trail! Unless you empty your wallet several times over, it will get stuck so easy and so deep! Keep the clutch alignment within specs. and keep a eye on the LH side bearings (both shafts top & bottom). I'd also take out the closure for the hood vent on the LH side closest to the rider, this will aid in cooling for both clutches and your belt. Make sure you have a NEW spare belt with you at all times, buy a Ultimax XS-802 or Ultimax3 instead of wasting your $$ on a A/C 020 belt! Have fun, it's a great TRAIL sled.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys.

I have an 02 Pantera and when I get stuck with it I call a tow truck LOL!!!!! I can just imagine what this 600 will be like. I will probably need a helicopter to get it out!

They are definitely snow hogs for sure.

I will take your advice and check the bearings and also take out the L H side hood closure.

By your post, it almost seems like this machine is a belt shredder as the belt you have suggested is certianly a top end belt and you have also suggested to make sure the clutches are kept aligned and to pull out the LH side hood closure.

Is there something specific I should know about with this engine. Do they twist alot in the chasis? I did infact buy the ultimax 3 as a spare belt.

Fact is the people who sold me the belt told me it was the only belt they would recommed for this machine (I thought they were just trying to upsell me at the time).

Jut wondering if this machine goes through belts because it spins up so high. In the ZRT formum the one fella said that his ran around the 9200 to 9300 rpm mark. That is alot of RPM.

The machine had the original belt still on it. Should I change it now. It does not look bad.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm the one who replied to your post in the other forum, I've noticed that you've post in several locations with different questions and I believe I've replied to most. Yes, the last time the 600 triple was in the sled I had it running up to the 9200-9300 rpm with a uncalibrated tach. This is not uncommon for these little triples at all and D&D's trail pipes (I posted a link in one of your posts) are designed to run up to 9100-9200 rpm range, or I believe that's their spec.
I had issues with the A/C 020 belt especially on this particular sled. I experienced about twice the life out of a Ultimax3 belt! Heat is surely a belt killer and I believe that the hood vent removal added alot of life to the belts after that (just my experience). This sled should have came from the factory with some type of torque arm but, it didn't so this allows more flexing which aids shorter belt life.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Replacing the orginal belt is your call. If you are going to play around with the sled and try a few things, try the new belt and if you notice a big difference keep it on there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to take your advice.

Put the new belt on. Keep the old as a spare. Check the bearings on the left hand side and lube them properly and remove the plastic plates from the clutch side to increase air flow.

These are very practical and cheap suggestions. I am also going to purchase the D&D clutch kit for the stock pipe ZRT 600 as my first upgrade.

I may also do the power breather as it is not alot of money.

Everything else will remain stock, not really interested is setting any land speed records with this snowmoyatch.

Thanks again. And yes you are right I did post in the ZRT section to learn more about the engine specifically.

In this section I wanted to know about the machine itself, as it is a touring machine and thats what I am into.

The heart of lion and the ride of couch, you got to love it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
After thousands of $$'s in transformations, I made the sled into a (triple powered) Mach Z/Grand Touring eater. I grew up riding with 2 twin brothers that have always rode Mach z's, so I guess that's the reason for my taste of power. The last time my wife was able to ride, she had a blast when we passed them on the lake :super_happy:! Pantera 1000's were way over priced even used, I picked this sled up very cheap and went thru many mods. It's a heart pounding experience @ 30mph when I'd crack the throttle.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Forgot something, I'd suggest a 4th wheel rear axle kit for this sled. If you ever take it down in a gulley or anything like a ditch, it gets alittle tippy so be careful(especially with a second rider aboard). I'm by no means a ditch banger but on occ. we all have to cross one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A fourth wheel will help to stabilize this sled??? Is that right. Please explain. Thats a mod that I am really interested in.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The rear axle in the rear suspension only has 3 wheels, this sled needs the 4th wheel. The kit includes the correct spacers and the wheel. This adds stability when go up/down ascending/descending grades especially, on a angle (ditches etc.). I'd look in Dennis Kirk...Parts Unlimited..Hi-Performance Engineering...etc. for the Acrtic Cat 4th wheel kit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

That is good advice for sure. Anything to make the machine more stable and improve saftey is at the top of my list.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have maxed out at around 9800 on the tach doing over 100mph

i also take it out and mess around in the powder on the edge of lakes quite often, what I find is that although it’s heavy as hell it only takes one or two other guys to get it out of about two feet of powder

1 - 15 of 15 Posts