Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well performance ATV would give a me a bill for my repair today.or even To put in writing that artic cat has posted a temporary repair with replacing the headlight fuse from a 15 Amp to a 20 Amp... But informed me that artic cat is working on a fix but will not be till the end of year 2022.So that 2023 models will be correct. And then they will come out with a fix for the 2021s .. in that being said , if not believing me find a 2022 model and pull the headlight fuse that is a 15 Amp fuse and the complete atv will turn off...the wiring is incorrect the headlights are wired to the main ignition of the atv ...the system will draw 8 to 11 amps till the cooling fan turns on , and start up will be almost 16 amps causing the fuse to heat up then lower as the fan runs ...Continued high amps weakens the fuse and over a short time will blow...causing the fuse to fail.

·
Administrator
41,172 Posts
Report it to transport Canada and the equivalent US entity.
In 2008 cat had bad/dangerous front diffs. Once they were reported it didn’t take long for Cat to issue a safety recall due to pressure from both governments.
Don’t you find it odd that you can’t get it in writing? I also find it odd that there is nothing on the net regarding this ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes odd but I think once others get contacted, it will hit the internet more.. I can hope anyway. And yes Ontario safety and compliance

·
Administrator
41,172 Posts
Reactions: john67adam

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can confirm on my LTD this is the case. Pulling the headlight fuse kills the machine. Pulling the main 30A fuse also kills the machine.

Sweet job AC. I put a 20A in its place. I wonder if the guy who is having all the problems with starting and running has tried putting a 20A in the headlight spot. Maybe his 15A is weak and not allowing the full current to pass through it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used the online form to register the defect to Transport Canada. I also used the YT, Twitter and Facebook AC feeds to mention the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can confirm on my LTD this is the case. Pulling the headlight fuse kills the machine. Pulling the main 30A fuse also kills the machine.

Sweet job AC. I put a 20A in its place. I wonder if the guy who is having all the problems with starting and running has tried putting a 20A in the headlight spot. Maybe his 15A is weak and not allowing the full current to pass through it.
Would putting a 20amp fuse in there not void the warranty on the bike?

·
Administrator
41,172 Posts
I’d be more worried about burning it down with a bigger fuse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol. Maybe, but to be fair the circuit that the 15A fuse is on for the headlights, at most would draw 11A, so now that its also responsible for the ignition and fan means its carrying, even with the 15A fuse in place, more current then it was designed for, even under normal operation.

I am going to do some tests this weekend to see what exactly the current draw is under different conditions to see what my particular bike is like.

·
Administrator
41,172 Posts
If the wire size, relays, resistors etc. are all designed for a max 15 amp and you put a 20 amp fuse in, well you saw the picture.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's what I mean. Its currently passing at least 16A, which is already in stock form above capacity, its just the weakest link is the fuse which takes a while to fail as even a 15A fuse can pass higher current for a time. This isn't a recall that AC should be allowing to persist for long, I hope they address it. Even if you keep putting in new 15A fuses the high current will be damaging other components.

·
Administrator
41,172 Posts
I’m not an electrical engineer so no way in heck I’m saying the fuse is the weakest link.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If AC didn't make the fuse the weak link we are in big trouble lol. I mean they did make a pretty big error on this machine already so its not out of the realm of possibility.

·
Administrator
41,172 Posts
Still nothing from Cat /Textron.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts