Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Zr6000rr 137"
From lower speeds (30-40mph) if I got wot it'll pull 8000-8050 rpm just fine, but if I'm going 60mph or above and go wot it will not pull max rpm, usually around 7400-7500 rpm and won't accelerate very much. I set belt deflection and track is plenty loose. Sled has about 2700 miles on it and I bought it new. This is really annoying on wide open trails where I'm cruising along at 60 mph and want to hit it and pick up speed, feels like a 440. But if I slow down and pin it, sled goes to max rpm and pulls to like 90 mph or so depending on conditions

·
Super Moderator
8,615 Posts
Check your weights. I have seen them wear/dent and hold the shift.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I I'll have a look when I get back home Monday. Something is going on that the motor can't overcome at those higher speeds. I'm thinking clutch as well. I'm told part 11 can wear as well and hang up the weights

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 18 ZR6000 was having the same issue- found one of the power valve return springs broke...that was causing the power valves to act up...From idle to WOT the valves would open fine and pull 8000. If I was cruising at 6000 rpm and went WOT the valves wouldn’t open.

Belt deflection has no effect once the clutches start shifting out. At 2700 miles it is highly unlikely the clutch weights are notched..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'll have a look at that also. I wouldn't think the clutch parts would be worn so soon, and read all the durability updates that cat did in 2016 with team clutches.
Just so I'm clear, part 22 pictures below? New to cat sleds
94BF793B-4022-4E03-B4A1-AC08CC19F1CC.png

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I'm with Favoritos on this one. There have been pics posted on here and HCS with wear on the weights. It is subtle, but the symptoms that you are describing are very similar to those that have been described with the weight issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this issue on the 2016-present models? I'll try and find pictures of this weight wear you're talking about. I don't have much experience with clutches besides cleaning them as I've never had any issues with any sled I've ever owned

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The pics I have seen were specific to the Team clutches. Now that I think about it, I think it may have been Tiggershark or Favoritos that posted them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, number 22 in the parts diagrams. Also a perfect time to clean your valves while your in there. In my case the pto side spring had a couple coils broke..bought two new ones.

My 18 has 3300 miles- zero wear on the ramps of the clutch weights.

·
Super Moderator
8,615 Posts
@favoritos

Were you the one that posted those pics?
I did.
The thread lists the miles and wear I experienced on each set. I also have a couple of sleds running the Team that are not showing as much wear at higher miles. I usually have slower riders on those machines. The wear is somewhat tied to riding style. When you are smashing the spring a lot, it is hard on wear components.
@Thisispainful, I did not see any issues with the weight spacers. That is a good thing. I had picked up a set of pins and spacers just in case. Those sets are spendy. o_O I'll wait to replace those.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just checked my weights and they do not have any wear notches. I did however have 1 of the 3 weights partially stuck, I wiggled it and blew 125 psi of compressed air all around the pivot point and now it flicks freely like the other 2 did. I'm by no means an expert on primary clutches but this may be part of my intermittent problem with low rpm's at higher speed roll on wide open throttle

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had a couple of the weight spacers in my 16 show some signs of wear. Nothing too bad so I flipped then over so the smooth side is towards the weight. I expect to be replacing them this summer. Over $100 for the rebuild set though, crazy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had a couple of the weight spacers in my 16 show some signs of wear. Nothing too bad so I flipped then over so the smooth side is towards the weight. I expect to be replacing them this summer. Over $100 for the rebuild set though, crazy.
How many miles?

·
Registered
53 Posts
How many miles?
They were fine at 1500. Noticed some wear at 3500. Haven't looked at them now with 6100 miles but it still shifted fine. I would expect that it is best to just replace everything now and save the good used parts for later.

I blow the clutches out after every trip. Disassemble to inspect and clean annually.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They were fine at 1500. Noticed some wear at 3500. Haven't looked at them now with 6100 miles but it still shifted fine. I would expect that it is best to just replace everything now and save the good used parts for later.

I blow the clutches out after every trip. Disassemble to inspect and clean annually.
Ok thanks. I blew mine all out before my 4 day, 600 mile trip and on day 3 it was not pulling peak rpm on the wide open trails at higher speed going to wot. I'll be taking it apart this summer and having a good look. Might get out one more time this season, this covid-19 pandemic has stopped grooming and closed all clubs

·
Super Moderator
8,615 Posts
Are you talking about the price for spacers and the pins? I told the dealer to throw in a set when I picked up a set of weights. I didn't realize the sets were that expensive. My pins and spacers still looked good and I returned the set. I did need to replace the buttons. I was starting to see some slop between the towers when I replaced the second set of weights.

·
Super Moderator
8,223 Posts
Those spacers are just shims you will never wear those out. If you have a weight that is sticking more than likely the bushing in the weight is trashed and needs replacing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those spacers are just shims you will never wear those out. If you have a weight that is sticking more than likely the bushing in the weight is trashed and needs replacing.
I have seen those shims wear quite a bit, but it was on an older sled, not likely common on relatively new sleds. It's looking like my season may be over given everything happening right now. I'll wait until it warms up as my garage doesn't have heat.
My sled has 4 trips up north and a few day trips around home. I've never had clutch components wear with this low of mileage but always a first time for everything.

I haven't pulled the exhaust valves yet either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts