Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed springs on my 6 tower primary clutch, 03 440 firecat last wknd, took it for a test ride, and now its sticking shut, when its completly shifted out, and wont snap back to downshift unless i hit a bump or hit it with a rubber hammer!and it worked fine before i changed springs, and the cover is on right, i checked for cracks and saw none, whats the problem???

·
Registered
183 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snopro joe* @ Jan 22 2007, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i changed springs on my 6 tower primary clutch, 03 440 firecat last wknd, took it for a test ride, and now its sticking shut, when its completly shifted out, and wont snap back to downshift unless i hit a bump or hit it with a rubber hammer!and it worked fine before i changed springs, and the cover is on right, i checked for cracks and saw none, whats the problem???[/b]
DID YOU USE AN AFTERMARKET SPRING? IT'S WIDER THAN AN AC SPRING, PROBABLY GRABBING ON THE SIDES. MAY NEED TO RELEVE IT A LITTLE BIT WHERE IT'S RUBBING. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm pretty sure i put an arctic cat spring in, (orange white) but even when i took it off, i took all the parts out and put them into a my spare 9 tower and once i took the wieghts out it seemed to slide back and forth just fine, this is already with the spring and cover off, but when i tightened the wieghts a little bit, it would bind up! and i wasnt over tightning, so i ended up putting my spare 9 tower on, how much of a difference is there between the two clutches?? i figured wieght for starters

·
Registered
334 Posts
just a smide to tight on wieght bolts wiil make it hang up a little loctite on nuts and thighten to edge of towers
if sheave binds back off just a little till it moves freely hope tthis helps

·
Administrator
20,050 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shaker @ Jan 23 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
just a smide to tight on wieght bolts wiil make it hang up a little loctite on nuts and thighten to edge of towers
if sheave binds back off just a little till it moves freely hope tthis helps[/b]
exactly, I just like to leave mine (for personal reasons) loose enough to rotate if the need calls

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was tightning them with a screw driver-bit, i would say just over finger tight, i never had this problem before, but it still must be too tight, i loosened them up and it works fine, it just seems a little loose when its spinng 8800 rpms, i was thinking would it help to put the cover on first before tightning the weights, i got it to work, thanks

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Check the bushing in the moveable sheave. Make sure there isn't a bunch of burned up rubber stuck to the post the clutch sheave slides on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'll try the lock-tight trick tonight, the clutch otherwise is clean and the bushings dont have to much play in them, so i think i'm good to go now. thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts