Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how the itp 589 tires are? i'm using mudlite xl's right now but the 589's look way more aggressive.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I've generally heard only good things about this tire, but I do believe that it is quite a bit heavier than the Mudlites that you are currently running. Several members on here either use them or have in the past. Hopefully one of them will be by soon to give you some better feedback. :thumbsup: If you want the more aggressive pattern of the 589 with some of the lighter weight characteristics of the Mudlite XL, you might also want to look at the Mudlite XTR!

·
Registered
434 Posts
New Guy,I had the 589's on my 500.They wear like iron.But they were heavy.I switched to a 26" swamplite and I really like those.They do have a little wobble at higher speeds but i didnt buy a rocket ship.I didnt care for the 589's for on the trail,they seemed to really make my frnt end heavy when it came to steering that may sound funny but thats what it felt like.I have also just purchased a set of 27" outlaws they arent even here yet so cant make a statement on those.They will be my mudding tire or wett trail riding.In my opionion if you want a tire that you will have for awhile because it wont wear out and you can deal with the heavy part the 589 are good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'll second the recommendation to look at the XTR's. Lots of discussion about them in the Tires and Rims forum. Unfortunately, the XTRs are not any lighter that the 589s according to the ITP website. I can confirm the weights listed for the 26 inch XTRs are correct. The XTRs should ride smoother and the radial design should offer less rolling resistance, maybe one reason most people don't seem to notice that much power loss. Still love the look of the 589s. Also, the XTRs tread is much more impressive looking than the pictures of them seem.
Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just picked up a set of 27" MUDBUGS for my 700. From what i could tell the only difference (aside from cost!) is that one tire is a radial and the other is a 6 ply. I ride with guys who have both bugs and xtr's and they both tires perform the same.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
The 589s wear out really fast if you run roads at all....mine have like 600 kms on them and are almost half gone

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I wonder if you have other issues with alignment savage. I have the itp 589's and they wear like iron. I can only compare them to the stock tires and the mudlites but they have lasted much longer than both. They are definately better mud tires than the stockers or mudlites but the radial tires do better on slippery hill climbs.

WC

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
the alignment seems fine to me...the tires have worn all around not just in on spot....like i said i did alot of pavement and i have to i just found them to be a very soft compound...but they are a nice tire run nice and pretty good in mud and trails...my buddy had carlisle xlrs and has 3000kms on them and still have tread those may be my next tire for me.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I run my 589's most of the season 'cause I enjoy riding in the gunk. They wear like iron (on trails) and are ok for slower trail riding ( smaller tires might help in this matter), and do alright on the rocks. Then again I'm the one in the group who volunteers going in to yard somebody out so I like the bigger tires. With my rims they aren't much heavier than the stock setup. Next set will either be the XTR's or maybe the Titan 489's.

[attachment=72850:IM000074.JPG]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
My last bike was a honda rancher 350(i know ,i know sad,I got it for $1200 with the rims and tires) with 26 inch 589's and itp wheels. I found them to be bullet proof even on the pavement. As far as trail riding and mud go, they worked great. I do alot of pavement riding with the kids due to it being difficult to get away. Any way just got my cat it has swamplites and they are already wearing with minimal pavement time. The 589 I believe is a decent choice but they are kinda heavy ,lol coming from a guy riding a 350.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've had 27 inch Mud Lites on a 03 500 Manual and 26 inch Executioners on my 06 H1. I have not rode the Mud Lite XTR's but from all of the riders impressions that I've read, I think they would be a better all-round tire. AC500shiftm was correct about the weight, the 589's and XTR's are almost dead even on weight. The thread pattern on the XTR's is a compromise between the Mud Lite and the 589. The 589's may a slight edge in deep mud but the XTR's should be the superior choice for overall smoothness on all other terrain.

The thread pattern on my Executioners is very similar to the 589's. If I had to do it over again I would have opted for the XTR's on my H1. Another tire that is very highly recommended for overall performance is the Outlaw MST's. My next quad will most likely be fitted with MST's or 589's. Tires are a very personal choice. The best scenario is if you could find someone at a riding area or a friend with the tires you are interested in and take a short burn.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 589's on my '06 400 and they wear like iron. They do really well in the mud and clean themselves great, on the trail do they pretty good but I was not looking for a fancy trail tire. I think 589's are one of the all around tires out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.