Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to start my 95 ZR 580 EFI after about a month today and it wouldnt start. This one has a battery but it is charged and I can hear my fuel pump run when I turn it on. This sled always starts on the second pull and I've never had it not start with the exception of having a dead battery. I checked for spark and it was there but with the EFI I'm not sure how to check the fuel, if it had a carb i would just spray fuel in it and try to get it to fire. Also when the fuel pump runs it never bogs down like it normaly does once the fuel reaches the injectors which leads me to belive that it isnt sucking fuel out of the tank or its plugged or something. It wont pop or anything and if it were a kill switch or a fuse or something electrical either there wouldnt be spark or the pump wouldnt run right?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matt580 @ Feb 12 2007, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also when the fuel pump runs it never bogs down like it normaly does once the fuel reaches the injectors which leads me to belive that it isnt sucking fuel out of the tank or its plugged or something.[/b]
If the fuel pump never stops it is not building pressure so the injectors can not spray fuel. check the tank vent, filter, pickup etc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am wondering if maybe the lines are iced up, do these symptoms go with frozen lines. The sled has sat outside for about a month since it last ran and it has been around 0 degrees the last 2 weeks here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything looks pretty frozen, I'm gonna try to get it in the shop this afternoon so it warms up. My Grandpas picking me up some new spark plugs also. I'm hoping once everything thaws out it will work. I tried to take the fuel line off the rail and run the pump to see if fuel squirts out but I couldnt get the line off i think because it was frozen. I thawed some of it with a hair dryer but i couldnt get the whole line thawed. Maybe a full tank of gas would help too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This things got me stumped. I parked it in a heated shed all night last night and everything melted, this morning it still wouldnt start. I looked in the air box and there was quite a bit of snow in it so I thought the throttle bodies may have frozen up but they would have thawed out last night if they were. That fuel pump runs like crazy but it never bogs down, and in 90% sure theres no fuel going into the motor because after all this messing with it the spark plugs are bone dry. If it was a TPS or kill switch or something like that there wouldnt be spark right, i know theres spark because i felt it run through my hand. I tried putting a little gas in through the plug holes and it did nothing still. Aybody ever had anything like this happen before. Also, I got the fuel line off the rail today and ran the pump with it off, fuel came out of the line just like it was supposed to. This leads me to beleive that its somethin between the fuel injectors and the crankcase.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a '96 ZR 580 EFI, maybe I could shed some light. Does you fuel pump ever stop running? When you first turn on your key the red battery light should be solid and you should hear the fuel pump run....then stop when pressurized. If it does not presurize (meaning the pump constantly runs), then you either have a leak, or your pump is possibly shot.
In the other spectrum, if your pump runs for a bit then stops, then you have pressure and the lack of fuel in the motor is a result of injector failure.In this case I would check to make sure all of your wireing to the injectors are connected, if it still doesnt work then you might wanna consult your nearest stealership, because you might have to test your EFI box, you could also test your crank position sensors too....cross your fingers :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got her started today. I was all ready to pull the injectors to see if they were stuck but right before I did it i gave it one last try. At first it sputtered which was more than it had ever done so I kept trying. Eventually it started and ran crappy for about a minute while i feathered the throttle to keep it going. After that it ran fine and when I shut it off it started right back up. I think the injectors must have been frozen and stuck a little but they sprayed just enough fuel through to get it started this time. I'll be sure to run some injector cleaner through it. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice
I had same story.
Ran it on a Saturday, all was well.
sunday - no start
Monday - no start
I prolly put 50 pulls on it. Normally always 2 -3 pulls.

Fuel pump would run and shut off each time i hit the key.

i figure, GREAT, its the stator or kill swith assembly or (were those issues with oldies like a 95?) so i take it to the dealer
he calls and says it's started right for him everytime.

bizarre but it's good news!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I took a trip to Canada a few years ago. We woke up to a - 20 tempature. All the other sleds in the group started except my friends 96 ZR 580. We had to put in a building and thaw it out for a couple hours for it to start.

If I was you Id ad a little dry gas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts