Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my 2009 550 H1 EFI started blowing ignition fuses. I found a rub back by fuse box and temporarily repaired. It was good for about a week and then it did it again. I learned that it was the foot brake so I unplugged it and all is well.
Then I went riding and about an hr into it I hit this little mud hole and it began rev limiting as if it was in reverse and the gear position was an "E" I turned it off and back on and was good until I hit more water.
When I got some time the next week or so I played with the wiring. Me and a friend figured out that it was shorting somewhere in the main harness about halfway back the seat. I have reserved the plastics and could move the wire and cause it to happen. I untapped the harness and it was full of sand(I bought it used about 2 months ago). I pressure washed it for a better look. I see nothing rubbed or broken and I am stumped.
So unless you guys have anything that helps me I am going to start tearing the whole harness apart.

Sorry for long post just wanna get it all in there.
Thanks for any info you might have,
Alex

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
You can have a broken wire inside the the outer cover of the wire and never see it. Continuity testing will tell you. Are all your connections di electric greased and tight. ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can have a broken wire inside the the outer cover of the wire and never see it. Continuity testing will tell you. Are all your connections di electric greased and tight. ?
I did all connections that were obvious except the ECU cause it was not unplugging easy and I didnt wanna break it.

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
That might be your problem. Tailite,display,actuator , rad fan, headlites, etc

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That might be your problem. Tailite,display,actuator , rad fan, headlites, etc
That would make some sense, I did tail light, actuator(which is new) and I could make it trigger when I moved the wires under the seat

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I have the same machine, check by where the wiring loom runs along the frame where the air filter housing connects to frame. The housing has a plastic tab that hooks on to the tubing and I noticed that it had almost rubbed through the outer loom. I then took some thick clear plastic tubing, split it and put it over the loom. While you are at it, check on the left side where the cooling hoses come out of motor, the lower hose is awful close to the body panels, I did the same thing with it.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Wiring problems are easy to fix, hard to find. First get a wiring diagram. Wish I could remember where I got mine but its very helpful.
Next If you cant see anything then you need to get a voltmeter out. Get your buddy to help and test every wire, moving the wires around if you need to find the bad one(s).

Or you buy a new harness

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
You can get a wiring diagram at www.mymowerparts.com and there is a write up in the pinned section by miketheexplorer on how to extract and print them

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the same machine, check by where the wiring loom runs along the frame where the air filter housing connects to frame. The housing has a plastic tab that hooks on to the tubing and I noticed that it had almost rubbed through the outer loom. I then took some thick clear plastic tubing, split it and put it over the loom. While you are at it, check on the left side where the cooling hoses come out of motor, the lower hose is awful close to the body panels, I did the same thing with it.

ok. i might be able to look at it tonight not sure though. i will be certain to let you guys know what i do. do i have to remove the front plastics to get to this area? i have the rears off but the fronts are a pain in the balls. bang your head

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked by the air box, there was some rubbing by both tabs so I untapped the whole area and only saw a little rubbed spot and if I touch it to other wires or the frame it doesn't trip. Any other spots I should be looking?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am now in the process of removing basically all wiring. -____- yay...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I now have the whole front end wiring system pulled out. I have yet to find a bare spot. I am no longer home and probly won't touch it til Sunday night. I am currently considering a new wiring harness unless I find something.
Thanks for the ideas and anything else you may have to offer
Alex

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Did you unplug the cdi?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you unplug the cdi?
I unplugged it the other day and it worked for a minute and then I began rev limiting again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know where I can purchase the plastic wire loom that goes on the main harness? I think I am just going to dielectric grease everything, like EVERYTHING, and tape, wire loom, and tape again the whole thing, put it back together and see what happens.

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Any parts store. Are you sure your diodes are in the correct way? The arrows on the diodes have to face the same way as the fuse box
You mean you unplugged your cdi and plugged it back in and it worked?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any parts store. Are you sure your diodes are in the correct way? The arrows on the diodes have to face the same way as the fuse box
You mean you unplugged your cdi and plugged it back in and it worked?
Diodes are good. It did it to me halfway through a ride. And yea, it worked for a few minutes after I in plugged and replugged the cdi.

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Are all the wires going into the cdi clean , tight and making good contact. Sometimes they can get bent or slide out of the connector

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are all the wires going into the cdi clean , tight and making good contact. Sometimes they can get bent or slide out of the connector

I will be getting a better look at it tomorrow. That's probly what it is. It's probly right there somewhere. I'm gonna re wrap everything and run it better than it was and hope for the best.
Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks for everything,
Alex

1 - 20 of 29 Posts