Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I am baffled. This Cat 500cc single cylinder ATV I pickedup in October wont start! It ran perfect when I parked it, now I can't get it to start, no matter WHAT I try!

Yes it has gas. Yes it has spark. Yes I made sure it wasn't in gear. I tried it with the brake locked, without it. I checked ALL the fuses. Nothing is wrong but something is keeping it from running.

What are your suggestions for what you would do or check to get it going? I can't figure this one out. It ran perfect...now, nothing. Two months maybe of it sitting, covered up, no water or snow hitting it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is it that I am missing or overlooking. It didn't help that it was a Craigslist buyer from out of town and I was feeling guilty that it wouldn't start. IT always had!

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Are you using the primer on the carb? Is the electric enrichener working? Fresh fuel? Have you checked the air intake for rodent nests?
What year is it?

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Check your air intake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
roger that. have confirmed all, individually and that is why I am here. It is not lacking anything that is visually available to check on. I haven't done a compression check because an ATV doesn't lose compression while sitting. The points might go bad, the carb might very well gum up fuel can go bad but compression is not something I am worried about in this situation. That's not saying I don't appreciate your input because I do thank you all for taking time to try and help me in what is the most confusing thing to me in a long time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well if you said it has been sitting for awhile, then try cleaning the carb. If all your main points to make the machine run are on point, it might be best to try and fix something that can be affected by sitting idle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you disconnected the battery recently? I have a 700 vlx and installed a winch, quad would not start afterward. Had fuel and spark. Disconnected the battery and made sure I connected the positive first and it fired first try. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for the sake of it, did you try pullstart it? I've seen it before. It wont start using the starter but start fine with the handcrank. It does that when your battery is fading out. The starter takes all the juice and there's none left at the plug. It's worth a try..😉

·
Administrator
7,576 Posts
Wet plugs on a 2003. You can shut the gas valve off so that it doesn't get anymore. Sounds like the bowl is full. This model is gravity fed as the gas tank is directly above the engine. ( no fuel pump) Sounds like a stuck float needle. A carb cleaning is what I would tackle first. I would also remove the spark plug and pull the starter cord to see if raw gas comes out. ( key off of course ) Pull it 25 times or so to clear it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Slid the air filter off a bit, squirted starter fluid in and wrrrrrrrooom, fired right up.

No clue why or what it was, but I feathered the choke, it stayed running, warmed it up and drove it up and down the ditch couple of miles and promptly swapped it off for a 4wd truck this am.

life is good, thanks for ALL your help guys!

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Have you tried using the primer on the carb?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts