Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 500 automatic. Problem is it will idle fine, but the instant you give it throttle, it dies. any ideas. I have drained the bowl and no change, cleaned the filter, no change. any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Anything lead up to this. Sounds like something in the jets or the slide. Take the carb apart and clean it.

WC

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Sounds like a fuel restriction problem. Check your fuel system to ensure you're getting a good consistent flow to the carb. If you are, then it's likely dirt in the carb somewhere. Probably the main jet. Disassemble carb, blow out passages with compressed air, re-assemble and see what happens. Don't forget that your carb is a CV and has a diaphragm on the top. Be careful not to damage it. Also, check it for tears. It could also be a source of problems.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
I have an 05 500 auto. This is just a guess, there is a line that runs from the intake (rubber manifold) between the carb and cylinder head and it runs to the fuel pump, it gives the fuel pump its pressure to work right. It's called a pulse line I think. Mine broke because I didnt remove it while jetting and it pulled on it real hard and tore it. (65 buck for a new one) with a tear in it it wouldnt let the fuel pump work. Could this be your problem?
If you loosened your carb and spun it to re-jet and didnt remove this (vacuum line) it might be your problem, let us all know what you came up with.............tigger

·
Registered
891 Posts
Let me through my latest problem fix at you.

My brothers 500 was doing a very similar thing. It would start and idle fine but when you tried to give it any throttle it died. After playing with it we could very very slowly get it to rev more but then it would cut out bad and die or even back fire a couple times. We were sure it was gas related and tore into the carb and drained the tank to get clean gas in it.

Fix was simple after we found it. I was trouble shooting it in the garage two nights ago and by complete accident I noticed that when it reved up it would spark from the edged of the plug wire boot to the motor. I replaced the spark plug boot and the rubber grommets on both ends of it and it solved the problem. When I picked up the parts at the dealer my dealer told me that many times if they get a problem at higher RPM and they can't find a gas issue it has been the plug wire boot.

Worth looking at.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
It's funny you bring this up. Just yesterday I was yapping with the tech at my local Gander Mtn. in Forest Lake, MN. We know each other well and were just BS'ing. This guy comes up to us and has an 02 500. He said it would start, but as soon as he hit the gas it would die. I asked him when the last time he used/ran the bike was.....9 months. The tech and I looked at each other and smiled. I asked him if he used Sea Foam or other gas stabilizer. He said he used sea foam. I was shocked, and asked him how much he used. He said "A thimbul full"...which is like 1oz for 5 gallons! LOL Told him he needed a lot more than that (like 1/8 bottle) to stabilize the fuel.

We took it into the shop (it's like I work there, but I don't get paid...something here isn't right). :) Took the carb off, and it had the yellowish stain in the bowl. All the jets were plugged horrifically. 30 minutes of cleaning, and she fired up like she was brand new off the line!

Just funny that I'm reading this after hearing the same complaint last night from someone with a 500. It could be other things as well, like what freetrapper pointed out. Could be some grit/junk plugging your main jet or something too. Your best bet would be to take the carb out and clean 'er up good.

I run sea foam in every tank as a preventative measure and to keep it clean. I also installed a fuel filter (away from the engine) to keep any grit/sand/crud out of the carbs. Cheap $5 investment.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Yeah, the tech there is very good, but I like to just swing by and give him crap. We're good like that. :) I'm the only customer they'll let freely roam the shop unsupervised. They call me the employee that isn't on the payroll. :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hey Sanny,
I pretty much have that at my local dealer as well. I have to of course let them know I am there but when I stop by I just head to the back to BS with the tech guys. I have had about 8 friends buy quads from them and they joke about me being one of there best salesman. However the best I ever get paid is a hat or t-shirt every now and then.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I get some decent deals every now and again. Yesterday he sold me an AC accessory at over half off. I too sell stuff on the floor. For some reason, customers will come up to me and ask if I know about these Cats. lol My answer is typically "I know a thing or two...what's your question?"...or "Yes, these Cats will tow all of your Honda friends home". :)

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KETCHNU @ Jan 8 2007, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have an 05 500 automatic. Problem is it will idle fine, but the instant you give it throttle, it dies. any ideas. I have drained the bowl and no change, cleaned the filter, no change. any help would be appreciated.[/b]
Hey guys listen up. I don't want to come across as telling people what to do but..... When fellow posters look for advice and the good folks on this list give you guidance and assistance, it would be very much appreciated to return to the group and advise what the cause of the problem was and the solution. I've noted that some of the more knowledgeable lister have gone through a fair amount of effort to write up advice. I'm certain they and everyone else would be keenly interested in the outcome of posted problems. We can all learn from each others experiences. Get back to the group when things get fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts