Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with their 500 auto not staying in high gear? Mine will go into high gear then pop out and rattle.
No problem with low gear. Just high. Would someone please advise adjustment procedure. Do I need more throw or less on the shift linkage? Thanks to anyone who can help. Pics or diagram will be appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I was always gonna look at how to fix it, but never got the chance. Hopefully this thread will give some good info for both of us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I dont know if this is the right way or not but this is how i did mine and it worked for me..... unhook the linkage at the engine, grab it with a pair of pliers and shifted the trans into high gear, place the shifter in high and lenghten or shorten linkage acordingly till it slid back onto the trans. then make sure it still shifts properly into the other gears............. I dunno .....worked for me!!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (caper @ Jan 10 2007, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hope this helps...

[attachment=60334:Shift Lever Adjustment.pdf][/b]
Thanks for the diagram. It helped me figure out the best way to adjust the linkage. I just spent the last two and a half hours adjusting and testing. The method they describe is great if you have all of the plastic off of the machine. Getting your hand up under the front shift mechanism is a real tight squeeze. If you're trying to make adjustments with a hot engine, expect a couple of burns on the back of your right hand. The best way to make the linkage adjustment is to use a 9/16 open end wrench and loosen the lock nut on the linkage shaft up under the shift mechanism. Back off the nut just a bit if you're going to add throw to the linkage or back it off 1/4" or so if you want to reduce the throw. with the engine on, find forward gear and leave it in that gear. Shut off the engine. Go to the shift shaft on the engine and pull off the C - clip that holds the linkage onto the shifter arm. Now gently pull off the linkage and make sure you don't drop the washer and plastic bushing that are on the end of the linkage. Rotate the linkage shaft counter clockwise to increase throw or clockwise to reduce. Make about three rotations in the desired directions then re-assemble the shift shaft end of the linkage. Don't tighten the lock nut yet. Take the machine out and test it. Run it in all the gears and watch your gear position indicator on your instrument cluster. Make sure the indicator corresponds with the correct gear. Run the machine for a while to ensure you have your shifter staying in gear. If it is, tighten the lock nut up at the top of the mechanism. If not, keep adjusting until you get it. Don't make too big of an adjustment. I did and found that when I tried to put the machine in high, it would go past high and get into a false neutral. Also, while you have the C-clip and bushing exposed, put a dab of grease on them. I hope this helps. If anyone is making an adjustment, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have my 500 apart and plan on adjusting it this weekend. man, my 650 was alot easier to adjust.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts