Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is John and im not new to the site by any means, i forgot my old password.
i know that this is the place for real life help, and what i really need help or any suggestions at all is i need reliable, meaty power, but dont we all.

i have an 05 500 M, i have jetted it with a K&n, and drilled my exhaust, already

but i also have 26" ITP XTR's, and other necessary wheelin riggin, basic riding conditions variate fairly wide from big bog's, to sand banks, to huge hill climbs and rock ledges, to smooth hard pack.

me nor my machine is a racer, but i want the horsepower still, just mainly powerful torque.

what is the most power i can work into this machine, and is EPI's clutch kit worth looking into,

and i know you have been asked over 999999999 times, but i would apreciate any help what so ever guys, it's the spring thaw, HAVE FUN :devil_angry: and ST.Patty's Day :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
hmf exhaust and 2 inch snorkle and rejet it is the most u can do without going into the engine. Lots of torque this way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not worthy: hey man thanks for that, and do not take me as a pest, but did you happen to change the pilot jet as well as the main? also the vacuum slide, have you drilled it to an 1/8th? and the snorkle, can i use the "flexy" hose, or should i stick to the regular PVC?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Yes the 2" snorkel for more air then a HMF and a rejet with a dyno jet kit, the needle on the 4th notch 42 or 45 pilot jet and a 150 to 155dj main jet,this will make the most power for the buck..
then i would put in the EPI clutch kit with the purple springs,this kit should be in the 500m from the factory its great and will make a nice difference for you.
Also the slide mod like you siad drill the lide hole out to 1/8" this will allow for a better throttle responce.
then if you want alittle bit more you can get the WebCam for it, its not to costly and will give you alittle more low end power as well.. :D

As for the snorkel i would stick with the 2" pvc pipe it only takes like 2 90s and a straight peice to get it done..

Also if you do get a HMF for your 500m you will have to buy one for a 03 Honda Rancher as HMF does not make one for a 05 model. but the one for the honda fits nice and all you have to make is a rear hanger/bracket for it easy to do...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank god you guys know your 5h1t. i apreciate the help guys, and to be honest that is all i needed to know, haha already. i was getting anywhere on my own badcomputer haha.

Hoopie, same wheeler, and almost same set up

GWC, man you got a nasty wheeler, what happened to the red one?

have a good one and thanks alot, i know it gets aksed alot, like deadh0rse

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
riggin, that's what this site is here for man. If money isn't an issue, then go with all of the above. If money is a "player" and only some things can be done, then I'd snorkel ($20), rejet ($5-10) and reclutch ($75 on the steep side). If you give it more air and more fuel, that'll net you more power. Reclutching will lose you some top end, but gain you the torque it seems you are craving. It's a teeter totter situation...lose top end, gain lower end. :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I used a 45 pilot and 155 main stock Keihen jets. I didnt drill the vacum slide as throttle response has not been any issue. The first two gears I cant shift fast enough anyways.

You can get pipe and bracket and jets and snorkle for under $350 and its a completely different quad. I havent felt the need for the clutch kit by I only run 26in tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im AM goin to do those exact mods, at sum point haha, but after all is set into place, to make sure it is running porpperly and reliably, i simple pull the plug correct?

i have the same exact tires, except i got the SS106 alloys, but that dont matter, does you're tranny seem to shift slow, feels heavy, really strong, but i tore a bevel gear already(drivin stupid) and i think my warranty is up, so im just askin questions, alittle comparision since you have the closest to my 500 i have heard to this date.

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
plug chops will let you know where your at. The tranny does shift slow compared to sport quads. Be sure to let off the gas before shifting or bad things happen. Add a number 4 washer to your stock needle to improve the midrange. You can get that at the local hardware store for about 4 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.