Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the actuator off my '04 400 and have a couple questions, if someone can help.

Should the little shaft that runs into the diff. pull out orshould there be a keeper to hold it in? Mine comes out and there are a couple groves in it like there should be a snap ring on it.

which way should the little shaft be to be in 4wd, in or out (forward or rearward)

Thanks for any help. it seems like my actuator is working but 4wd is not engaging.

·
Administrator
39,141 Posts
Here's a diagram for you. Any place like countrycat has a parts fiche that you can look at parts. www.mymowerparts.com
Download a free service/repair manual they are invaluable if you want to do your own work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks like there is a retaining clip, wonder how hard it would be to get in there and put it back on. Anyone have experience in this?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've had my front diff apart plenty of times... it's always a bit of a nuisance. I've thought about working on it while still in the frame, but it's honestly easier just to remove.

The spring is probably not pushing all the way back OR the driveshaft/pinion bearing could be worn, mis-aligning the splines on the pinion and the driveshaft. The coupling won't slide over unless the pinion and driveshaft output are splined together... a bad bearing makes this difficult. Check to see if you have any play in your driveshaft where it attaches to the differential.

Reactions: STTH
1 - 5 of 5 Posts