Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 2012 f8 sp looking to do 4th wheel kit. My concern is since my riding style is about 50/50, trail/ditch banging and jumping would it be best to stick with 7.12 wheels or go the 7.5 route? I would think the 7.5 should hold up but.. Whats your opinions?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Factory 7.12 wheels create a lot of track friction on the hyfax.The 7.5" wheels enables the track to float and increase MPH and MPG as well as increase life of the hyfax.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Why are you thinking the 7.5" wheels won't hold up? I just put a 4 wheel kit on my 13 F800 and I was told that the 13s don't need the larger diameter wheels only the 12s, so I went with the 7.12 wheels. Not sure if that's correct or not but that's what I was told. If I had a 12 model I would go with the larger wheels as Snogasm said the 12s had some real issues with hyfax wear and the larger wheels should help with this. As long as you buy a kit with high quality wheels I don't see why the larger dia. wheels would be any less durable than the smaller ones.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the four wheel kit from Turbo Dynamics on my '13 F800. I don't have any valuable input yet but I want to hear what others are saying so I'm chiming in.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Why are you thinking the 7.5" wheels won't hold up? I just put a 4 wheel kit on my 13 F800 and I was told that the 13s don't need the larger diameter wheels only the 12s, so I went with the 7.12 wheels. Not sure if that's correct or not but that's what I was told. If I had a 12 model I would go with the larger wheels as Snogasm said the 12s had some real issues with hyfax wear and the larger wheels should help with this. As long as you buy a kit with high quality wheels I don't see why the larger dia. wheels would be any less durable than the smaller ones.
I thought the 13s have the same 7.12 wheels shows the same part # from cat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are correct. The 7.5 wheels they are talking about are part of the 4 wheel kit sold by Turbo Dynamics. I put the td kit on mine and works well so far. The 7.5 wheels will give you a little more top end and they look good.Rockerdude

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes the 13s have the same 7.12 dia wheels as the 12s. Thinking maybe they changed the mounting height or someting. The 13s are running a quiet track which adds the ramps under the idlers giving a little more clearance under the hyfax. I'm not sure if the 12s had quiet tracks or not. Again just going by what I was told by a company that has both the 7.12" and 7.5" four wheel kits. Not sure why they would say the 13s don't need the larger wheels if they do. On the 12s I would definitely go with the larger dia. wheels, on the 13s I'm not sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I purchased my sled from Tom (Turbo Dynamics), he talke me through the whole wheel size specifics and I couldn't see why I wouldn't want the four wheels or the larger wheels in my '13. I also added additional idlers to the front of my skid to replicate the location if the '12 front idlers. I always saw hifax wear at the crest of the skid, I'm not sure why AC moved the idlers back in '13.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I purchased my sled from Tom (Turbo Dynamics), he talke me through the whole wheel size specifics and I couldn't see why I wouldn't want the four wheels or the larger wheels in my '13. I also added additional idlers to the front of my skid to replicate the location if the '12 front idlers. I always saw hifax wear at the crest of the skid, I'm not sure why AC moved the idlers back in '13.
The original design of the '12 had the wheels in the middle (look at the pre-prod models and the pictures)... for some dumb reason they moved them up front for production of '12s. The recalls moved them back to where they were (originally) and where they are on the 13's.

I have 1500 miles on mine... 800 with the wheels up front. 700 with wheels moved back. NO wear on the front/curve of the skid. Worn out about 2/3 the way back the skid.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You were given bad information.
The '12 and '13 are basically the same skid, except for the RR of course.
The '13 does have 5 idler positions on each side though.
I've had the 7.5" kit form Tom @ Arctic Adventures on my 12 since early last season. It REALLY frees the sled up.
Go with the 7.5's

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You were given bad information.
The '12 and '13 are basically the same skid, except for the RR of course.
The '13 does have 5 idler positions on each side though.
I've had the 7.5" kit form Tom @ Arctic Adventures on my 12 since early last season. It REALLY frees the sled up.
Go with the 7.5's
I guess only time will tell. With the skid sitting on the work bench it looks like there is plenty of clearance between the rails and the bench or what would be the track. Seems that adding some additional idlers ahead of the rear wheels to help keep the track off the hyfax would make more sense than putting bigger rear wheels on it. There is still all that distance between the idlers, no matter how big the back wheels are. Anyway, I have the std size wheels on mine with an extra set of idlers and I will let you know how it works out. Glad you are happy with the larger wheels though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I guess only time will tell. With the skid sitting on the work bench it looks like there is plenty of clearance between the rails and the bench or what would be the track. Seems that adding some additional idlers ahead of the rear wheels to help keep the track off the hyfax would make more sense than putting bigger rear wheels on it. There is still all that distance between the idlers, no matter how big the back wheels are. Anyway, I have the std size wheels on mine with an extra set of idlers and I will let you know how it works out. Glad you are happy with the larger wheels though.
Actually, the 7.12" wheels don't touch the bench, the hyfax do.
I've got 2 extra sets of idlers and the 7.5" wheel kit, and 2300 miles on my hyfax.
You do what you think is best for you, I'm just telling you what works :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Actually, the 7.12" wheels don't touch the bench, the hyfax do.
I've got 2 extra sets of idlers and the 7.5" wheel kit, and 2300 miles on my hyfax.
You do what you think is best for you, I'm just telling you what works :D
2012 2013 ARCTIC CAT SKID WHEEL KIT - YouTube
Well not sure why your wheels don't touch the bench. My 13 had never touched the snow and the hyfax were a good 3/8" above the bench when the skid was sitting on the bench. If the 12s and 13s are the same as you say they are then something isn't adding up. I'm just telling you what I know to be true b/c I had it out on the bench before I ordered the wheel kit and there was more than enough clearance for the hyfax with the std wheels IMO.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well not sure why your wheels don't touch the bench. My 13 had never touched the snow and the hyfax were a good 3/8" above the bench when the skid was sitting on the bench. If the 12s and 13s are the same as you say they are then something isn't adding up. I'm just telling you what I know to be true b/c I had it out on the bench before I ordered the wheel kit and there was more than enough clearance for the hyfax with the std wheels IMO.
Whatever man, you must me special! Yours is the only one AC built like that.
If your looking for an argument, you've got the wrong guy.
Buy whatever you want, and have a great season.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Whatever man, you must me special! Yours is the only one AC built like that.
If your looking for an argument, you've got the wrong guy.
Buy whatever you want, and have a great season.
I don't think I'm special and I am certainly not looking for an argument. I am just posting on what I found to be the case on my 2013 sled. Again I'm not sure if the 12s and 13s are the same but in the video you have in your previous post it is a 2012 sled, not a 2013. If the 12s were like that I can see why a larger dia wheel would help. I wish I would've taken some pics while I had the skid out but I didn't. If I get ambitious I will try to measure from the bottom of the hyfax to the center of the rear axle. The wheels are the same size so the location of the hole in the rail has to have changed otherwise there is no explanation.

No way it will be a great season since winter is half over with no snow. Could still be a decent season if we get some snow soon. Hope you're having better luck where you are.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Update:

Measured the distance from the hyfax to the center of the rear axle and jdinny is right on. About 3 9/16" to the center of the axle, which is exactly half of the dia of 7.12" wheels which means not much clearance between the track and the hyfax. I must have had it sitting on a wrench or something on the bench b/c there was a gap under it, but you are correct, there is no clearance between the rails and the track with the factory wheels. My apologies.

I guess I shall see how the smaller wheels work out, b/c that is the kit that I have on the sled. Hope it works out cuz the sled looks awesome with the white wheels. Besides with the little snow we've been getting the past couple years, even if the hyfax only lasts 5 or 600 miles that will be atleast a season or two. :angry:

·
Registered
57 Posts
4 wheel kit with the 7.5" wheels is the way to go
Along with an extra set of idlers up front
Wife's 1100 hyfax looks great after 540 miles and those are miles in low snow conditions

Reactions: NovaNewfie
1 - 20 of 38 Posts