Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not pulling up any good topics on 440 fan mods. I've got a 95 440 z, I'm rebuilding the top end on. While i'm in there. and have it apart, any suggestions? I'd like to mill the tops of the cyl.'s for extra compression, does anybody know what kind of clearance i have to work with? I'm not looking for a "buy a bigger sled response", I just happened to pick up this sled in very good condition, with a dead cyl. cheap, so would like to liven it up a little while I'm in there.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
look into the 2001 z 440 i think with some parts from that sled will bring up the hp. that should fit into your crank base, also ask fett brothers i think they had a piston kit to bore it out, .20 over, or add 38mm for air.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have done some work on the 440 fans. The first thing I start with is port matching the exhaust. Use the exhaust gasket as your template to get your ports to the identical diameter.

You have to do both the ports on the cylinders and the ports on the exhaust manifold. There will be lots of material to be removed.

From there I polish the inside of the exhaust port with a dremel tool. This takes a lot of time.

On the intake side, starting with new pistons I skirt them 2 mm (or the width of Sharpie). Because these are a piston port engine, this will open the intake port up that much sooner and with the mods on the exhaust side, the engine will be able to breath better.

The reason you use new pistons is because if you skirt an old piston, there is simply too much wear and you will end up with piston slap during acceleration.

I did this procedure to 3 440 engines and they performed excellent. Better fuel mileage, much better top end.

You will need to watch your plugs after you have completed your mods and rejet accordingly.

Good luck

Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts