Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 artic cat 400 2x4 that I recently got and cleaned the carburetor, changed oil, new air filter, spark plug and gas line hose and it cranks but doesn’t start. I don’t really know what is causing this i don’t know if the carb isn’t getting fuel or anything can someone give me ideas?

·
Administrator
35,402 Posts
Open the drain screw in the bottom of carb and see if there is fuel in it.
Did you completely disassemble the carb and clean every single part with carb cleaner?

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Once you confirm you’re getting fuel and it still does not start, check for spark. The 03-06 400’s have issues with magnets breaking off the flywheel and having intermittent spark.

·
Administrator
19,788 Posts
Here’s the innards of a 2004 400 4x4 that had weak peak voltage and out of spec stator readings (see broken pole on stator)

Strong possibility yours may be very similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes have completely cleaned the carb and still didn’t start but I saw that this year has had problems with the magnets in the flywheel

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
did you drain the fuel tank before cleaning carb
as if fuel in tank is old/bad/dirty, and you didn;t make sure tank is clean and fuel is good, all that work cleaning a carb can be a waste of time IMO and you can be right back to having a dirty carb again as soon as you try to start
SO< name of game is starting UP stream and making sure all is good before cleaning things down stream

also, HOW did you clean the cab, spray with carb cleaner, or disassemble and really make sure it was clean, all passages ans such clean and free flowing
ethanol fuel will coat parts that spraying and even soaking some will NOT remove!

LAST< are you sure this a OEM carb and not some china junk someone stuck on to sell atv!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you drain the fuel tank before cleaning carb
as if fuel in tank is old/bad/dirty, and you didn;t make sure tank is clean and fuel is good, all that work cleaning a carb can be a waste of time IMO and you can be right back to having a dirty carb again as soon as you try to start
SO< name of game is starting UP stream and making sure all is good before cleaning things down stream

also, HOW did you clean the cab, spray with carb cleaner, or disassemble and really make sure it was clean, all passages ans such clean and free flowing
ethanol fuel will coat parts that spraying and even soaking some will NOT remove!

LAST< are you sure this a OEM carb and not some china junk someone stuck on to sell atv!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I took tank off and cleaned it and put new fuel in with seafoam and yes took carb apart and used carburetor cleaned

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
again spraying with carb cleaner won;t actually clan a very gunked up carb
many require much mire intense cleaning , like using an ultra sonic cleaner and or boiling hard parts in lemon juice
and if you add TOO Much sea foam to the fuel it will also cause all sorts of poor running to NO running at all conditions!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only put like maybe a 1/4 of sea foam in the fuel, could it also be possible for my petcock valve to be clogged?

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
I only put like maybe a 1/4 of sea foam in the fuel, could it also be possible for my petcock valve to be clogged?
It’s possible. Test it by removing line off carb. Also check petcock in RES too. While you’re at it and if you haven’t yet, add an inline fuel filter.

·
Administrator
35,402 Posts
From the sea foam site;

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have never EVER seen anything run on 50% seafoam, I doubt that works very often
I seen many times just a little more than called for, and things went from running to NOT running, dump fuel, replace and Back to running
I ain' t bashing seasfoam either use it myself now and then, but there ain't no magic in a can, and too much of it, will make more problems that it will fix IMO

·
Administrator
35,402 Posts
I guess we should sue them for false advertising lol

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Sure looks like that would be the issue. Don’t forget an in-line filter. Just in case crud like that makes it into the carb. Also let us know your results after you install new petcock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
6 Participants
660catman
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing