Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 400. I was turkey hunting and riding with friends all week in Pa. I was the only one on a Cat. All 7 other machines were Polaris. From 330 magnum to 800 sportsmans. I let my dad ride my Cat most of the time and I used one of the extra Polaris machines. My problem is that my Cat steers like a frickin log wagon! The Polaris machines were ALOT easier to steer. Even my 70 year old dad made the comment about my bike steering "like a pig". Now, I bumped up the air pressure in the tires a little, but didn't seem to do much. I just roled 1000 miles on the machine. It is 100% stock. Yes it has the Badlands tires on it. My questins is, If I change to bias ply mud lites or Goodyear raw hide grips, will my steering lighten up some? The thing is a real handful in the rocky stuff!

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Changing your tires from the stockers will by FAR change how it steers. It's a totally different machine when you do.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ May 5 2007, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Changing your tires from the stockers will by FAR change how it steers. It's a totally different machine when you do.[/b]
I have no experience with anything but stock tires on both of my Cats. One has the Carlisles and the other Goodyears. Between the two types of tires on my 500s, I don't notice any difference in handling characteristics. Could be that they are both equally effective/ineffective tires. I don't know. I do know that they get me in, out and over terrain that a goat would have trouble with. I find that the component that has the most effect on how my machines handle is the geometry of the trails. If I'm riding wide trails or gravel roads, the Cats handle just fine. Put them on a trail that has been worn in by narrower ATVs or snow machines, you will be doing some wrestling. From my experience, the width of the Cats, and in particular the width of the front wheel track on narrow trails will slow you down and require considerably more steering input. I doubt that any tire selection will fix that situation. What we need, is more Cats on the trails.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have two words for you "MAXXIS BIGHORN". They are the best 350 dollars you will ever spend on your machine. Steering control and precision will be greatly improved. The push will be completely eliminated. I would highly recomend them. I ride a 06 400.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Cats Have a heavy steering due mostly to the fact the steering isnt linear. What you turn the handlebars is exactly what you get at the wheels. Excellent for always knowing exactly what your tires are doing, but horribly to manuver at slow speeds. Most other quads turn less at first and more near the end of the throw giving you mechanical advantage over the steering at slower speeds. That coupled with the weight of these bikes makes the steering quote a chore at times. As others have mentioned tires should help, but I doubt it will solve this problem completely. Just kinda one of those its the nature of the beast thing

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
tires DO make a difference, better believe it! bighorns on my v2 were noticably better or lighter steering.

might want to play with the shocks a bit softer in rear and stiffer infront, seems to help i have noticed on the wife's 500 with stock cariles

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I doubt that any tire selection will fix that situation.[/b]
It's rare, but I'll have to disagree with ya Borat. I had stockers on my V2 and now my H1 and put aftermarket tires on both and it's literally a night and day difference in turning and handling. With stockers, it took both arms to turn the quad sharply. With aftermarket, I can turn it with one arm (not that I do, but that shows you the amount of pressure it took/takes).

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ May 5 2007, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
It's rare, but I'll have to disagree with ya Borat. I had stockers on my V2 and now my H1 and put aftermarket tires on both and it's literally a night and day difference in turning and handling. With stockers, it took both arms to turn the quad sharply. With aftermarket, I can turn it with one arm (not that I do, but that shows you the amount of pressure it took/takes).
[/b][/quote]

I'm hoping you guys will let me drive your bikes in a few weeks. I'd really like to see what difference good tires make before putting out the $$$. It just seem ridiculous to throw away tires with perfect tread on them, lol.

Jay

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ May 5 2007, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
[/b][/quote]

Well Sanny, I hold your word in high esteem and will believe you. I just can't get my head around how a tire change will cure the problem of a wide machine on a narrow trail???

Nonetheless, I'm tempted to try a set of Big Horns. What size would you recommend for the 500M? No mudding (unless I have no choice), mostly gravel, rock, stumps, downed trees. You know, the usual bush perils. If not Big Horns, what would be best for those riding conditions?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
if you don't need the gc then i would recomend 25 inchers. they are perfect for your application, very similar to what i try to ride. they do work in the mud just not a strictly mud tire.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Steeles, try putting more tension on the front shocks and loosening the rears a bit. If the rears are cranked up too much, you'll encounter stiff steering. Pump those stock tires up to 12-14 lbs and take it for a ride, just for a test.
Different tires do make a difference. Then let us know how it steers.
Your not stuck in 4 wheel drive are you? That would make it steer hard.............tigger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts