Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone fed up with reading of all the problems the 400 has? I really enjoy my ATV when I can keep it running. Flywheel Magnets - ever heard of such a problem from another manufacturer (besides Suzuki)
Wiring harness issues.
I am perfectly fine paying for mechanical wear items or failures self inflicted. My ATV is babied. The trouble with this model is a discrace. Arctic Cat needs to come to the party for these unique issues in my opinion. I'd think long and hard before buying another one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
What year model(s) have the flywheel issues? I've yet to have a problem with mine (knock on wood), but I keep seeing threads about the magnets.

Only major complaint I have is the shoddy high range reverse :( .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year model(s) have the flywheel issues? I've yet to have a problem with mine (knock on wood), but I keep seeing threads about the magnets.

Only major complaint I have is the shoddy high range reverse :( .

2007 with 2000 km's here

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The flywheel trouble is really the only problem that has been unique to the 400.

So the magnets fall off your flywheel and your ready to burn HQ down. It's good thing you don't own one of the larger cc bikes that was built on the same drive train components the 400 has, arctic cat would really be in trouble then.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Problems with the 400? I read about a lot of people with stator trouble, but haven't experienced it myself. The only problem I've had is the carb overflowing, which was fixed by adding an inline filter. That happened when it was still new. My 400 is my favorite ride, and would never imagine giving it up:wub: She's been rock solid for 8 yearsRockerdude

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I have had the dreaded broken wire in the harness issue with my 400. I wrapped the main harness in spiral wrap and it has been good ever since. 9,000 miles and still going.

Mike

Reactions: Lumpneck

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have three '07 400 Autos with mid rpm lags. 1500 to 2500. All are clean, good fuel, no water, valves tight. All less than 1000 miles. Plugs look like maybe bad spark. Took peak signal voltage reading on the worst running only to find low .64v instead of minimum .7v. Would this be caused by the stator magnet problem.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
So the magnets fall off your flywheel and your ready to burn HQ down. It's good thing you don't own one of the larger cc bikes that was built on the same drive train components the 400 has, arctic cat would really be in trouble then.
LOL I'm thinking the whole magnets coming loose on the stator issue is due to overheating. Many times I've read where the engine started acting up after plowing or or some other high load low speed activity that would of overheated the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL I'm thinking the whole magnets coming loose on the stator issue is due to overheating. Many times I've read where the engine started acting up after plowing or or some other high load low speed activity that would of overheated the engine.

I agree completely. The glue that secures the magnets lets go when hot and causes all issues. That doesn't make up for the fact it is a part that should never fail except for bad design.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Personally I think rather then start a big complainfest about issues of the 400 line we should compile a part # cross reference to the zuki equiv of the motors, I just foundout yesterday even with a 10% discount the local zuki dealer is $30 cheaper per belt

·
Administrator
37,499 Posts
Zuki parts are always cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got one

I just bought one and have been checking on issues. How would I add the spiral cable covering to prevent the wiring harness issue before it starts- part of harness to cover? It seems like the exhaust gets super hot when run at high speeds. She will hit 45 mph. Ran it out to buds maybe 3-4 miles. Got home and then turn key to restart and electric fan came on with red light for a few seconds. Seems I may have got her hot?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fuel filter

Also exactly where in the line should I add the mentioned fuel filter and which fuel filter should I put in line? Thanks. I will search for the answers here as well now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
What year of 400? I use the center split plastic cable wrap and I wrap every bit of the harness any time I find a situation where I can get to a new section.

Depending on outside temp and how long you ran at WoT your engine may have gotten warm. The temp light'll come on a lot of the time when you turn the key in gear and don't hit the starter.

When I spliced in my inline fuel filter I just went right off the tank valve with about 6" of hose, then put filter, then put rest of hose on to connect to carb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for reply

It is a 2005 400 auto and its the limited edition model. It has 260 miles with around 63 hours on it. Pretty sweet ride. I'm thinking it probably was running hot but was cooled while riding as air was chilly. Once turned off temp rose and then as you said turned on key and electric fan immediately took off to cool- makes sense.

I'll have to look at that spot for filter. Are you just putting any small inline filter there like on my outboard for example?

I'll have to get some cable wrap from ? And get at that too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The dealer that I got several small parts from gave me the following advice:

1: run 0W-40 Synthetic Oil
2: Wire a switch into the fan control circuit (far right sensor on front of engine) and leave the switch on. This forces the fan to run any time the key is on and keeps the oil temps lower.
3: Use spacers on the inner fenderwell to force a gap open. This allows better airflow across the engine itself. Basic heat transfer here: more air flow across the cooling fins = cooler engine.

I still need to get the wiring soldered in place for a switch, but the other two options are already in place.
The dealer (Cycles, Sleds and Saws in Idaho) was very nice to deal with. He said that he saw plenty of issues related to high temp failures until they started doing this. As for the oil he said any motorcycle rated full synthetic, not necessarily AC branded. I already use Smurf Blood in the wife's Polaris, so that's what I'll be using in this one as well.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
If you want your fan to run whenever the key is on, run an extension to the 12v accessory plug. The fan has the same connector. (on my '08 at least, check yours) There isn't a need to use a separate switch.
That's how I have mine setup. I got a 6" extension from radio shack for $4. My sensor or some wiring is messed up and I'm too lazy/cheap to fix it properly. :sleeping:

That said, my '08 400 has been awesome. It's cost me a bit of money, but it's all wear parts or ignorance on my part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow

I can see the synthetic oil but running the fan all the time? Are others doing so? Seems excessive to me and wouldn't the fan burn out. You got any pics of the spacer deal in your front fenders for the additional air flow? Thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts