Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My quad is a 2006 Massey Ferguson 400 auto 4wd single seat, which I understand is a re-badged Arctic Cat 400. How do I know if it's an FIS? There's so many abbreviations to identify the different models. Mine has three diodes and three relays in the fuse box if that's any help.

Anyway, my question is, is there a wiring diagram that includes how the indicator circuit works? All the wiring diagrams I found don't mention the indicator circuit. The best wiring diagram I've found so far is the 400 FIS AUTO one on page 8 of the 2006 ATV/UTV Wiring Diagrams on countrycat.com

I'm trying to figure out why the indicators won't work - I've replaced the 3 pin flasher relay, and checked the connections underneath, to no effect, but it's hard when you don't know where the wires are going. Thanks

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
FIS is for fully independent suspension. You’ll have two rear axle shafts and upper and lower control arms on the rear.
I take it you’re in Europe if you have signal lamps. We don’t have that in Canada or the USA. Might be hard for us to help you.

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
Make 100% certain that you have good ground at each light assy. That tends to be the biggest plague to anything with turn signals throughout the power sports industry over the years.

If lights are coming on (but not flashing/blinking), it’s either mismatched watt bulbs, or flasher relay itself. Usually, mismatched bulbs do flash, just at offset paces from R to L (but not always like I mentioned previously)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it's not FIS then, the rear axle is solid between the back wheels. It makes it weird going around corners, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm in the UK, we have indicators here. you don't in Canada?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
The diagrams we have do not include the turn signals as Canada and US don't require them. I have added an aftermarket set on my machine because with a project in north central PA is opening a lot of secondary roads to ATV usage to link different trail systems. Since we will be interacting with vehicles and most probably don't know hand signals, I added the turn signal kit to our machines.

What I did different then the video is I tied power for this system into accessory and not directly off the battery. I also did not use the on/off switch on the controls. Taillight also was not needed, and I did not install the plate light.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-atv-horn-&-signal-kit-with-flush-mount-signals-p

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
It’s weird when cornering as these are not limited slip differentials. Pavement will wear out tires more and it tears up the grass and dirt. In Canada and the USA it’s illegal to drive on the road. Some small towns may put up with it, but it’s still illegal.

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
Some small towns may put up with it, but it’s still illegal.
St. Helen, Mi. MANDATES that when within city limits, that all off-road vehicles are to be ridden on the streets. Dune buggy’s, ATV’s, dirt bikes, side x sides, etc, etc, etc..... during non-winter months.

If caught riding off the streets, ticket is issued. Maybe elsewhere it’s illegal, but definitely not that town. And it’s a Mecca for summer off road riders with its location and terrain. Easily thousands of riders descend upon it during typical weekends, let alone spring/summer/fall holiday weekends.

·
Administrator
37,152 Posts
It’s weird when cornering as these are not limited slip differentials. Pavement will wear out tires more and it tears up the grass and dirt. In Canada and the USA it’s illegal to drive on the road. Some small towns may put up with it, but it’s still illegal.

In Clearwater county it is legal to drive your quad on the secondary roads.
There are a few other counties in Alberta that it is legal.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
St. Helen, Mi. MANDATES that when within city limits, that all off-road vehicles are to be ridden on the streets. Dune buggy’s, ATV’s, dirt bikes, side x sides, etc, etc, etc..... during non-winter months.

If caught riding off the streets, ticket is issued. Maybe elsewhere it’s illegal, but definitely not that town. And it’s a Mecca for summer off road riders with its location and terrain. Easily thousands of riders descend upon it during typical weekends, let alone spring/summer/fall holiday weekends.
In Clearwater county it is legal to drive your quad on the secondary roads.
There are a few other counties in Alberta that it is legal.
Thanks for that info. We learn something new everyday.

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
This first shot is just a general overview of St. Helen... there are trails leading to every corner of the state (short of maybe the Metro-Detroit and Lansing regions), the second shot shows just some of the state where off road fans are a major part of any towns economy. I ❤❤❤ The Huron National Forest!!!

Sand and loamy black dirt abound throughout the trails throughout the state. The legality issue in St. Helen began all related to a dust control issue. Seems a business owner there wanted to ban all atv’s and such, as his cleaning business was adversely affected by all of the off road fanatics that convened on the town.
The COC said no way (would have bankrupted most if not all of them), so they settled on paved roads for off road traffic travel when within city limits.

Years later, this very guy (original plaintiff) is a close friend of not only my widowed ex-boss “Connie” of decades ago, but myself as well, go figure... ?

Anyhow, back to topic, sorry 55555, for my short hijack of your thread.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
@660catman

I was up there (St. Helen) very recently inquiring through my realtor friend about homes for sale... While there, I shot a street sign with the warnings concerning ON ROAD ONLY operation of all orv’s that aren’t related to SNOW...
These are posted about every 400’ to 500’ along the downtown streets that lead into town from all 4-directions.

EDIT: There are other signs leading into town listing it as being ok for SNOWMOBILES ONLY to utilize the sidewalks during the season of powdered white gold.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
@660catman

I was up there (St. Helen) very recently inquiring through my realtor friend about homes for sale... While there, I shot a street sign with the warnings concerning ON ROAD ONLY operation of all orv’s that aren’t related to SNOW...

These are posted about every 400’ to 500’ along the downtown streets that lead into town from all 4-directions.
@C-note

Nice. When you think about it small towns could adopt an ORV policy for riding around town. Some do it here on major snowmobile trails to get to gas and restaurants. Good for the town and as long as we all obey the rules of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts