Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Arctic Cat 400 No spark. Ran fine then died. No spark. Changed coil same result. Off load arc to the black wire running to the coil. No signal during turn over. Help?

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
Wecome To The Site Traxx
Every Thing Elec. All Clean & Tight ?
Battery Good ?
Kill Switch On ? ( You Where Riding When It Stop Right )
No Expert Here Just Throwing Out Things For Ya
To Check & Hopefully Narrow Down Things To Find The Problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes everything clean and tight. It only has 800m on it and ran fine. The black wire (to the coil) will arc after the switch is turned on then off. No spark at plug or signal during turn over. Weird! We are at ATV accessory and trailer company. We don't normally get into service, but the guy loaded it up to bring it in for some custom work and that's what happened. No spark after running for a few min.

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
Well Looks Like The Simple Stuff To Checks Is Out Of The Way
Now Hopfully Some One That Really Knows Elec Will Chime In
Seems To Be All Kinds Of Elec Problems To Day
Giver Time & Sure You Will Get The Ansers You NeedCat happy

Reactions: TRAXX

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
When a 400 loses spark, my first thought is the magneto lost some magnets. While the 400's aren't notorious for this happening, it happens enough where it raises my suspicions if that isn't what happened here. If you aren't getting a signal, then that's likely what happened.

·
Banned
2,228 Posts
+1 flywheel magnets, pull the side cover and you can see right away if thats the problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When mine went I found parts of magnet on the dipstick..... When you remove the magneto just remember to protect the crank. The OEM puller has a part that screws over the end of the crank to protect it....I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
400 cat no spark

Well Kudo's to you guys. You were right! Magnets fell off the flywheel. Wow what a pain to figure out. Intalled new flywheel and it fired in a couple of turns. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
have 2004 arctic cat 400 atv auto 4x4. no spark. all switches in correct position. cleaned all contacts,new plug,new coil,new flywheel,new stator,new trigger coil,new cdi,new battery...still NO SPARK....HELP !!!

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
have 2004 arctic cat 400 atv auto 4x4. no spark. all switches in correct position. cleaned all contacts,new plug,new coil,new flywheel,new stator,new trigger coil,new cdi,new battery...still NO SPARK....HELP !!!

I hope you checked ignition fuse and made sure power was there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find the issue. I'm running into the same problem.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
Is your kill switch on ?

·
Registered
2005 Arctic Cat 400 automatic 4x4
8 Posts
Did you find your issue? I have the same problem. Did check to confirm wires from trigger were correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the same arctic cat, (2004) 400 auto atv. My magnets came loose, so I bought a replacement flywheel. I got the wrong polarity flywheel. Which I'm sure that's what you did. All you have to do to fix this problem is switch the white and yellow wires coming out of the stator (put the white wire where the yellow wire was and the yellow wire where the white wire was on the plug in. Problem should be solved, you should get spark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 Arctic Cat 400 No spark. Ran fine then died. No spark. Changed coil same result. Off load arc to the black wire running to the coil. No signal during turn over. Help?
I have 25+ years experience of repairing all makes and models ATV"s and motorcycles and this same problem through me for a loop!
The left side cover after removal revealed flywheel magnets and stator assembly to be fine. All electrical connections were checked and
dielectric grease applied. A high pitch noise was coming from the CDI box every time the ignition key switch was switch on which was really confusing!!
A new CDI box was purchased, voltage regulator, upgraded flywheel / stator kit from RM Stator, Coil,
spark plug, charged the battery and load tested and still no spark and that high pitch noise continued from the new CDI box.
I removed the new CDI box, voltage regulator, coil and reinstalled the original ones as I still had the same issues, leaving
the upgraded flywheel / stator assembly installed.

After several hours/ days/ afternoons/research on internet/ "Beers" and being shocked by that dang coil wire!!! '' I GOT IT''

Determined this thing was not going to beat me I decided to start unplugging electrical connections till that high pitch noise stopped
from the CDI box. Starting at the ignition key switch just in front of the steering stem the noise stopped!! I removed the switch which revealed
inconsistent ohms each time checked. The switch was taken apart and smelled liked electrical issues had occurred although visually appeared fine.
I jumped out the switch connector plug in the harness as if the switch was on. The green neutral light came on, Pressed the starter button and it started firing through
the spark plug like it should!!
After cleaning the carburetor and purchasing a new after market ignition switch its running great, Customers happy and I'm sleeping better!!

I really hope this helps someone out!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same arctic cat, (2004) 400 auto atv. My magnets came loose, so I bought a replacement flywheel. I got the wrong polarity flywheel. Which I'm sure that's what you did. All you have to do to fix this problem is switch the white and yellow wires coming out of the stator (put the white wire where the yellow wire was and the yellow wire where the white wire was on the plug in. Problem should be solved, you should get spark.
Oh my God if I could kiss you I would I've been fighting this problem for a month replace the flywheel use my original stator no spark bought a new stator. Hours on the internet finally found your post swap those two wires over perfect fired right up thank you so much

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh my God if I could kiss you I would I've been fighting this problem for a month replace the flywheel use my original stator no spark bought a new stator. Hours on the internet finally found your post swap those two wires over perfect fired right up thank you so much
Is there anyway you could tell me which wires need jumped?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts