Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys...I need some help. I have an 06 400 automatic cat. I went ahead and had the dealership install a set of 25" 589's. I dont like them. I want to go a little taller because we ride in a lot of deep water and mud. I see a lot of members on this site that have 400 automatics with 27" tires. I have had mine to were it wouldnt turn over the 25" tires. What do you guys think I should do and what 27" tire would you recomend?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Clutch kit and 27 XTR's
maybe snorkel,K&N,and dynojet kit

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you have trouble turning 25's in the mud then definately don't go bigger. The 589's are relatively heavy for their size, try mudlite xl's in a 25". Otherwise you may have to look at a clutch kit and that means trail manners will suffer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinkin about getting either 26" mudlites xl are swamp foxes. I really wasnt wantin to mess with the clutch. I am planing on getting a pipe and jet kit. Which tire do you think would be better?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I would go with mudlites they are light and will work well with a 400. I would get XTR's for 2 reasons 6 ply & radial.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
mudlites in the xl lug (deep) in the 26 inch size are accuately a bit smaller than 26 true inches but sounds like a possible good tire for your application. had these on my 04 400 auto and didn't need a clutch kit, ran fine.
the 589's are a heavy tire, the mudlites are one of the lightest "mud" tires out there.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
WHatever you do don't get the swamplites. They are a great mud tire for around here but they wear way too fast if you ride a lot on hard packed dirt and roads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 25" xtr's on a 06 400 auto they seem to sap alot of power,wear faster than they should & dig a bit too much in sandy gravel.
I have recently put on a set of 25" bighorns on and they are outstanding compared to the xtr"s. Steering very easy , smooth ride
excellent traction (little if any digging),dont catch on things (roots ,rocks & ruts) in the trail that the xtr's do that rip the handlebars from your hands .So far I would take the horns over the xtr's any day !

·
Registered
46 Posts
How do you guys think my all stock 400 would turn 26" Executioners..... so far they look to be the tire i want, now i just want to find out if it's possible to run them?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys...thanks for the info. I think i am just going to leave it alone for now. Hank, I dont think my 400 could handle those tires. I have heard that they are on the heavy side and 25" 589s give my quad all it wants. My 400 is stock though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 06 400 auto TRV and just added the 26" mudlite xls and the only power loss I noticed was my top end, but not by much and I'm pullin 722lbs .... didn't really notice any difference down low, I certainly have no problem turnin them in the mud :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts