Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2006 400 4x4 manual and I noticed when I put it in gear and start to accelerate it feels like it slips and then locks up.kinda similar to the way a stall converter feels.it does this in every gear.i don't think this is normal so I was wondering what could cause this and how to fix it.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some slipping is normal as the clutch has to free wheel when at idol then it should lock in once you get moving a bit, I know I can feel it on mine. Also if you are running in too high of a gear it will slip. Also if you just bought it change your oil.and.make sure you use the right type.You may also want to adjust it as it is spelled out in the manuals it is really simple to do and then you know for sure if it is adjusted properly. Also just as a side note it should not slip once it is engaged until you let off to shift. I struggled with it a bit since I came from riding automatics and I felt like I was reving it too much after my first trail ride with it I figured out that going slow means low range but must of the time high is great except for on the really steep stuff then I would run out of power. Hope that helps

2007 4 x 4 400 manual
Exhaust mod
650 Rear shocks
400 front shocks.
snorkel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info.the 06 400 slips a little during initial acceleration in high range but my 98 454 has no slip at all.i didn't know if they had a different trans setup and was supposed to feel slightly different or if they should function the same.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
What oil do you run? Try adjusting the clutch first.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 400 in the Arctic cat is a Zuki set up so they are a bit different than your 454, and it sound like yours is normal from my experience. And yes It does feel a bit like a high stall torque converter. I would still suggest that you change the oil if you have not done so, and adjust the clutch just for piece of mind

2007 4 x 4 400 manual
Exhaust mod.
650 Rear shocks
400 front shocks.
snorkel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.