Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i just recently replaced a flywheel on my arctic cat 2004 400 4x4 and the problem i am having now is that when i tighten the magneto cover bolts or even barely snug them up the starter wont roll the engine over. If I losen all the bolts up then it rolls over fine. This is really irritating me and i cant understand why this would happen. any input would be great thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So basically it comes down to the two washers and where do they go. I believe that one washer goes on the backside of the idler gear and the other goes onto the backside of the starter gear. But with this configuration the slightest tightening of the case makes everything too tight and the start wont roll the engine over. if i simply remove these washers and tighten down the case the engine rolls over fine but i should not have to do this. what am i doing wrong. please help i need to get this project done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had posted this in another part of the forum, but either i have mistakenly posted it in the wrong "topic" or something cause it was ignored. If this is the case i am sorry about that. I just need a little advise on AC 300 diff's. Here is what i posted: Hey guys, Im new to the site and tiring my best to put a 2002 AC 300 4x4 back together... It was given to me not running, clutches slipping and front differential in a box in pieces. Needless to say it has been an adventure. I have it back together but can't figure what position to put the 4X4 linkage lever on, is there any way to know, when i put it where i think it goes it shifts in but you really have to pull on on the handle to make it release. And when it is in 4x4 it feels like its dragging the bike down. Is there anyone on here that is having similar problems or can direct me on how the lever is supposed to set. Thanks for any help anyone can give..

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi, i am new to the forum, i am having the exact same issue. it doesnt seem right to instal the cover back on without the washers. can you advise on what you found out? how is your quad running now? thanks
andy

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
DoorFX had a picture specifying where the THREE washers go on a 400. Search "Very Random Spark" in forums here and you will see the very random spark... please help thread. It was just a few days ago

Reactions: andyschmunk

·
Administrator
37,475 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
thank you guys very much! this explains a lot, i have looked at my service manual, and parts schematics longer than i care to admit...lets say these washers are lost, would they be the same size as some of the others on the gear shafts? would these be readily obtainable or extremely specific? thanks again, you guys are awesome!
andy

·
Registered
943 Posts
They would be fairly specific because if they are too thick you'll have problems, too thin and they'll be sloppy, dealer can order them. Where in AB are you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, will do. I have lived in Alberta pretty much my whole life (30 years) it's nirhinf but prairies out here, no trees with the occasional valley.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I took a picture of my setup, seems to be different . Unfortunately, since my wife uses this quad as per if her business (snow removal for the govt) I had to remove the washer from idler gear 1 and 2 along with a washer on the shifter knob. I put it back together and it cranks like butter. I know I'm playing with fire here by doing this. Why is the worst case scenario? It runs fine, no noises. Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
37,475 Posts
Is yours auto or manual ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone i just recently replaced a flywheel on my arctic cat 2004 400 4x4 and the problem i am having now is that when i tighten the magneto cover bolts or even barely snug them up the starter wont roll the engine over. If I losen all the bolts up then it rolls over fine. This is really irritating me and i cant understand why this would happen. any input would be great thanks.
Just curious as to if you were ever able to find the problem?? I'm currently having the same issue and have had my case off 3 times now and cant see anything out of place or what it may be

·
Administrator
37,475 Posts
You have the washers in the wrong place.

·
Administrator
37,475 Posts
Read this whole thread including links.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts