Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Well, being as this is my first post, let me start off by saying hello! I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 or a 2007 400 4x4 and was curious what you guys who own one think of them. What do you like about them? What do you dislike? And also, what can I expect to pay for a 2006 or 2007 400 4x4 LE? I'm located in northern Illinois by the way. Thanks for reading guys and I look forward to hearing your opinions. Oh, if you have any pics of your quads, I'd like to see them.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an 06 400 4x4 LE and it's great! I ride with a guy who has a Rincon (686cc) and when riding in mud, the ground clearance makes up for the lower cc's and I get through stuff that he doesn't. I'm 6'3" and 235 lbs, so I like a bigger atv where I don't feel like I'm falling off of it. After 500 miles, the handling and engine power improve greatly from when I first got it, and everyone says after 1000 miles it even better still. Also, my 400 jumps better than the Rincon...not that I'm freestyle jumping, but I know exactly how it will handle in the air. The Warren winch that came with the LE model has never failed me. What I don't like about it is the fenders have no flex in them, so both rear fenders are cracked due to MY error when learning to ride. I got to close to trees and cracked them. The other thing with the '06 I don't like is they have Carlisle Badlands tires which have soft sidewalls and causes the front tires to come off the rim if you hit a rut, root, rock, etc. wrong. So, to compensate, I ride with 7-8 lbs of pressure and that helps keep them on. Once I get extra cash, I'm buying new tires!!! The 400 has lots of pulling power and I've pulled 400lbs of soil in a trailer, pulled 30 foot trees for a long distance, etc. and it doesn't have a problem. I paid $6200 out the door from Gander Mountain with a 3-year warranty. Now all that being said, I wouldn't mind having the 500 LE which has about 125 cc's more (I believe) which would help keep up with the bigger ATVs on straight aways, but in the mud or on the trails, it keeps up with everybody.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
There was a post just a few days ago covering the 400/500 choice discussion. Do a search. Lots of good info here if you look for it.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
ive got an 06 400 auto and i just hit 1000 mi this past weekend and i think it is an excellant machine, excellant ride, it is probably one of the slowest atv out there but you trade it for low end power which i prefer. it can keep up or stay ahead the best of them. i think for the money it has more to offer than some of the other atvs. i payed $5900 last january when i bought it brand new. lately i have been thinking i should have gone for the 500 only for more power.more options as far as mods if thats your thing but over all the 400 is a great machine that will go through just about everthing.but depending on price difference and your personal preferance you should consider a 500

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a 400 auto last July and for my first quad I feel like I made the right choice. It has done everything I have wanted it to do with no problems and for building trails, clearing fence lines, hauling wood, and crawling over stumps and trees on logging roads I don't think I could have bought a better machine. I love the ground clearance for getting over stuff but if you get it on a side hill it really feels like it wants to tip. I have 700 plus miles on it so far and zero problems. I work it hard but I don't abuse it.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
i love my 400. it has done everything that i have asked of it. i just pulled a 20 foot utility with 4 flat tires, out of the mud and weeds.it was a load but i put it in low and took off. i just wish there was more of aftermarket for it. I have no regrets about buying my 400. i paid $5100 for it as a left over model. i am, however, about to buy a new atv and it will be either an h1 or a 500m. i will be keeping my 400.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Havent been able to give my 2006 AC 400 AUTO a good test yet since I just got it in Nov of 2006. I only have 100 miles on it and they are mostly flat land miles. First impressions though: Excellent ground clearance. Lots of low end power(torquey). Not alot of top end if you like to go fast. If you stick to the rough stuff it is adequate. Tires suck. Got mine for $4950 (new). 2007's were out and the dealer was marking the 06's down to get rid of them. Difference between 07 and 06: 07 has different brand tires, and a different setup on speedometer pod, Also 07 has plastic heat deflectors above the running boards. Not much difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
We just bought a 03 400 and I was surprised how powerful it is. Very tuff and the same everything else as the bigger motored AC's. Only real diff. is it wont run as fast as the bigger cc ones but still is way faster than needed for any trail situation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm gonna check out the local AC dealer next weekend and see what they've got. I've got a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 right now; pretty good power, speed is not too bad and the 4 wheel drive system is good for some stuff, but not real deep or thick slop. I'm not looking for a speed demon or something that I can do serious jumping with, I mostly prefer to explore trails, hit some mud and enjoy the ride. Sounds to me like the 400 LE is the right choice, although the price difference between the 400 and the 500 seems pretty slim. I noticed for the 07s, they eliminated the LE option. Whats up with that?

Matt

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i thought it became a se option, bumpers, winch, different rims? mabey that is only on the biggerbore models.
i had a 400 before my v2 and it definately was a good machine, i'm just power hungry and there wasn't enough there for me but for the average rider you will be more than happy. just remember when you first hop on it it may seem a bit slugglesh, give it a few miles to break in and it will feel more powerfull every ride.
my wifes is a 500 and to me there is not much of a power difference than my old 400 was but for her the liquid cooled, electric choke (my old 04 400 didn't have) is a bit better for her.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got 1400 miles on my 2003 and I am real happy with it. No problems to date. Use mine for pulling trailers and riding trails on the local farms. Have been to Wayne National Forest with it, and it kept up fine with my brothers 500.
If you use it for what it is, a "utility" ATV, you will be very happy. It definately isn't a sport bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have 04 400, I like the power. thumbguy . I got about 1500 miles on it. great for work and play

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a 04 400. Great bike so far. Would I do it over again?......................Well..................I do like my 400 but in hindsight I wish I would have spent a little more and got the 500. But 400 does everything I need it to do. I just would prefer a tad bit more motor at times.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I love my 04 400. Never had any major problems out of it except for the brakes going out and the shifter breaking which both were mostly my fault. I have no complaints so far. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I LOVE my 2005 400i manual...it is truly an awesome machine and pretty much goes anywhere...that is, except in REVERSE!!!!! WTF were they thinking when they made this awesome utility quad but put the wimpiest reverse gear on the planet in it????? I dunno They should have given us 400 riders a low range reverse. I've gotten stuck in some pretty embarrassing places because I couldn't back out of them.....It's a BIG bummer!!

Other than that, the machine is awesome and I did put a winch on the back for next time :beer_cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
The one thing I wish I had on my 400 is EFI. Where I ride I am breaking new trails so I spend a lot of time off the bike working a chain saw, then once I am some hundreds of feet down the trail I want to move the bike up closer and it is a pain to have to sit and wait for the choke to open and the idle to settle down.

I am sure when it comes time to trade this machine I will go for a bigger motor so I can have EFI. I don't need more power but it would be fun. This is my first atv and I don't think I could have bought a better machine for my needs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good luck with your purchase.

I have an 06 400 auto. Love the machine. So far only 125 miles but I have had a lot of fun on it. It will keep up with a polaris 500 efi in the snow but will be dusted on a straight dry road. I would recomend the 07 over the 06 as there is a wierd problem with the front differential. They didn't put a spring in some of them and the 4wd quits working. I know the 06 can probably be had for a better price but just beware it may be in the shop for a couple of weeks getting this repair done. You could ask the dealer to verify if the spring was put in and if not make them do it. It doesn't happen on all the machines just some. What ever you choose you will be happy. Remember that not so many years ago a 400cc was a huge machine. My dad has a 99' 300M. It looks like a toy next to the new 400. If you get the 06, set aside a couple hundred dollars for new tires as the ones that come on it suck. THe front tires especially as the bead will roll casuing a major flat. Cary a $10 walmart air compessor at all times (you have been warned!!!)

Just for imformation i got my 06 for $5900 "out the door" included a snow plow and a helmet. Probably could of done better but there isn't a lot of Arctic Cat dealers near here. Tough to work a good deal. I am in Western Montana.

Got my winch from costco for $129, mile marker. Seems to be fine. Hand guards are a must if you are in a cold area. I think rocky mountain atv had them on clearance for like 49 dollars.

Once again good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got mine a few months ago and love it. I will be going soon to get another cat probably a H1. My wife loves the 400 cat she rides it just about everyday....after I leave for work. Ever since I got my cat the ole rancher 4x4 es just sits in the garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts