Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who do i contact about 4 wheelers tearing up groomed trails in michigan 35 bucks per sled and have to deal with this im sick of it troll food

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
You have to talk to your local club, If that doesn't work efficiently and swiftly you have to go to the state level. Me being a former Trail Coordinator in ND that is a problem that I've had to deal with. When trails are deemed open for snowmobile use, ATV's are not permitted. I was coming around a hairpin corner one time a few years back and about head on crashed with a wheeler. He sent me off the trail and didn't even have the balls to come help pull me out! Deal with this quickly!!!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACZR440's @ Dec 22 2009, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
who do i contact about 4 wheelers tearing up groomed trails in michigan 35 bucks per sled and have to deal with this im sick of it troll food[/b]
Call the DNR they run the trail and have MR.LAW to back it up.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have both ,snowmobiles and a quad and this just infuriates me to no end! These guys (me included) have 8 months at least to ride their machines STAY THE HELL OFF THE SNOWMOBILE TRAILS. and they wonder why so much land is being closed to 4 wheelers. There are responsible quad guys , I know, but waaaaaay too many selfish idiots on these machines. When I encounter quads in the winter I let them know how I feel in no uncertain terms. DCR and the trout troopers are doing what they can in MA , I hope something will get across to these guys. Good luck ,man.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wimpyt-cat @ Dec 22 2009, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACZR440's @ Dec 22 2009, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who do i contact about 4 wheelers tearing up groomed trails in michigan 35 bucks per sled and have to deal with this im sick of it troll food[/b]
Call the DNR they run the trail and have MR.LAW to back it up.
[/b][/quote]
any one got a good # for the DNR

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
called them sed probally nothing we can do about it thanks for your report "dont you love the dnr " we have so many problems here to the netting on little bay de noc now this crap WTF the buliding with the dome on it on the end of michigan ave in lansing could use a huge bottle of duche

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is there an Enviromental Police in Michigan? Who patrols the trails? In MA they have as much or more power than the state police, and they love enforcing atv laws. Where does the money from trail passes and registrations go to in MI

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESORCES DNR dnr to all 3 questions their useless most people call it the department of natural retards!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Out here we crowd them off the trails then call fish and game. The fish cops usually show up before the tards finish digging out of the snow and they get a nice big ticket. Especially when it's a rail trail.

·
Registered
21,410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcatman02 @ Dec 22 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is there an Enviromental Police in Michigan? Who patrols the trails? In MA they have as much or more power than the state police, and they love enforcing atv laws. Where does the money from trail passes and registrations go to in MI[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACZR440's @ Dec 22 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESORCES DNR dnr to all 3 questions their useless most people call it the department of natural retards![/b]
I do believe the County Sheriff Departmant are the ones that patrol the trails. Providing they have the money and equipment. The county just north of me, the sheriff department patrol their trails.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ride with guy in NW Wisconsin where wheelers are allowed on many trails. I ride my sled and he rides his sport quad. And to be honest, my sled with 1.25 inch track on it tears up the trail way more than his wheeler. He generally won't go out if the trails are soft and he hardly leaves a mark. He rides and obey the same rules of the trail and the like.

Certainly if it is against the law there, people shouldn't be on the trail with a quad. We stay off of the trails that are not designated multi purpose so he can ride legally. My main point is sleds tear up the trail just a much if not more than a sport quad. Those paddles are like little shovels and toss a nice rooster. No body wants to ride very close behind me. Can't say for sure on other more utilitarian type wheelers. They may be worse causing ruts which I agree would be bad. It comes down to riding responsibly no matter if it a wheeler or a sled.

I agree wheelers on snow are much more difficult to control and you can easily lose it in a corner. It takes a talented rider to handle one of them on snow and proper tires are a must. So, it is not for everyone.

Anyway, just another viewpoint on things. Bring on the Christmas snow. Cat happy Cat happy

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoney67 @ Dec 22 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I ride with guy in NW Wisconsin where wheelers are allowed on many trails. I ride my sled and he rides his sport quad. And to be honest, my sled with 1.25 inch track on it tears up the trail way more than his wheeler. He generally won't go out if the trails are soft and he hardly leaves a mark. He rides and obey the same rules of the trail and the like.

Certainly if it is against the law there, people shouldn't be on the trail with a quad. We stay off of the trails that are not designated multi purpose so he can ride legally. My main point is sleds tear up the trail just a much if not more than a sport quad. Those paddles are like little shovels and toss a nice rooster. No body wants to ride very close behind me. Can't say for sure on other more utilitarian type wheelers. They may be worse causing ruts which I agree would be bad. It comes down to riding responsibly no matter if it a wheeler or a sled.

I agree wheelers on snow are much more difficult to control and you can easily lose it in a corner. It takes a talented rider to handle one of them on snow and proper tires are a must. So, it is not for everyone.

Anyway, just another viewpoint on things. Bring on the Christmas snow. Cat happy Cat happy[/b]
I see your point but here in Michigan, on Sept. 15 when small game season opens, the trails are closed to atvs and the such. When Quads are running on a freshly groomed trail, they leave tracks and ruts that snowmobiles, "that pay for the trail systems" cannot negociate well. It would be great if all ATV ridders rode responceable, But that ain't how it happens. Most are younger guys out rippen and tearing up. This is fine, IF they use there trails in the summer time. When they start charging ATVs $35.00 apiece for yearly trail stickers and change there season to coincide with snowmobiles, then I guess I will have nothing to bitch about, BUT that ain't the way it is. Ron.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I see your point but here in Michigan, on Sept. 15 when small game season opens, the trails are closed to atvs and the such. When Quads are running on a freshly groomed trail, they leave tracks and ruts that snowmobiles, "that pay for the trail systems" cannot negociate well. It would be great if all ATV ridders rode responceable, But that ain't how it happens. Most are younger guys out rippen and tearing up. This is fine, IF they use there trails in the summer time. When they start charging ATVs $35.00 apiece for yearly trail stickers and change there season to coincide with snowmobiles, then I guess I will have nothing to bitch about, BUT that ain't the way it is. Ron.
[/quote]

Ron,

You also make valid points here. Maybe they should legalized wheelers in the winter on some or all trails in Michigan and it wouldn't be as inviting to these clowns. My thought here is if something is legal, it is not quite as enticing. In NW Wisconsin, I've rarely seen a 4 wheeler in the winter despite they can be there. But then again they can be just about everywhere winter or summer there so what people are out there are fairly spread out. They are quite liberal with their atv rules I believe. I'm pretty sure they don't pay anything as far as trail passes and what not in Wisconsin which isn't right. They just have their usual 2 or 3 yr registration like a sled but no trail pass. They should make them pony up to a trail pass if sledders have to.

A non resident trail pass for snowmobiles is $36 so they hit us pretty hard. We pay $30 for 3 yrs as a Mn resident and unfortunately, I feel the trails in WI are better groomed and maintained. Here, many of the trails get chopped up in a half day and are groomed 2-3 times a week. I know there is only so much that can be done given funding and volunteers, etc, etc, etc but Mn could take some lessons from Wi. On the other hand, fairly rare to get lost in Mn on a trail as they are well marked. Can't say the same for Wi. Every time I go out there, I get turned around due to lack of signs.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Holiday Season.

tmoney67

We can only hope if they catch some of these clowns, they will take there atv's and sell them and put the money into the grooming coffers.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Get a paint ball gun and fire away.. :lol:

I cant stand them bass turds..they tear it up here and then we get blamed.

Lock and load !! lazer

·
Registered
246 Posts
Last year in the Hayward area on the lake we go to, Lost Land Lake, there was several problems with Ice fisherman. They were setting tip-ups on the actual staked part of the trail. The thing that really pissed me off was on the other side of the lake someona actually drove a truck down the stick trail. One place they drove across the trail and the slush shot out and formed a concrete curb. I crossed it at 5 miles and hour and it was a big jolt. I would hate to see what happens if you hit it at 50. My wife and I and our 2 kids stopped on the trail where these guys were ice fishing to talk with them. It ended up being me in a heated disucssion with 10 guys. I asked them what the deal was and I was told that they always fish there, (not true, I visit this place 5 times a winter for the past 15 years), and that they moved the trail over on the best fishing spot. I tried to warn these guys that they are playing with fire, and that there may be a group of 20 to 30 pissed up guys making the run to Lakewoods from the flowage, and they will be on the receiving end of a bad altercation. They told me they had the right of way and that we should steer clear of the tip ups. I tied to be noce, but these guys were there every day and night for a week. So my philsophy is this. I will stay on the staked trail. If there are tip ups on the trail, they could get run over, but I will not go out of my way to avoid them. Unfortunaltly I did run over several. As for 4-wheelers, I would right down their registration numbers and call the DNR or the Sherriff. That is all you can do. I did run into someone on a trail that was stuck and he was waiving me down to help him. I stopped and told him that he was not were he was supposed to be. He said he knew it but there was no where else to ride. I told him that if I pulled him out he needs to leave the trail or he risked getting stuck again. He said he would get himself out and he could ride wherever he wants. I left him.
I guess I am just an old prick.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
x2

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well then, add me to the "Old Prick List". Rules are rules and If I have to follow them so should they. Peace,beeler

1 - 20 of 20 Posts