Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 400 4x4 fis

the other day after getting stuck and find out my four wheel drive is no longer working i seen my left front cv axle was lose or seemed to be so i replaced it
took it for a drive to see if the four wheel drive is working again nope still not working put the locker in it locks the front wheels so you can hardly turn the thing but they still do not pull

i am at a loss

so i took all the actuator off and it seems to be fine and working however the pin that it pushs ? is like only sticking out of the casing around a 1/4 in and will only puch in about a 1/8 in maybe less

where should i go next i do not want to pull the whole thing out if i do not have to as it looks like a very large job

·
Registered
338 Posts
I looked at the one on my bench. With the actuator off the pin should stick out about 3/4" which would be in the 4WD position. When I pushed the pin all the way in it only sticks out about 1/4". Sounds like the drive coupler/selector fork is not being allowed to slide back onto the drive shaft to engage 4WD.

Did you see if you could pull the pin out some more???

What did you mean by "left front cv axle was loose"?
Was the axle trying to come out of the diff???

·
Administrator
36,507 Posts
^^^^and did you replace it with an axle with the locking ring on it?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
my wifes 06 400 le had a simular issue
come to find out the front drive shaft yoke coming out of the engine stripped out,, so when you put it in 4wd,, it would just skip over the splines..

you may want to inspect your front drive shaft(propeller shaft)
for slop on the splines,, if there is play i bet its skipping...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cv axcle was just real loose we cut the cv boots and everything appeared to be good.
But you could grab it with your hand and move it triple times more then others on it
I replaced it with one withe locking ring it will not come out

I checked the drive shaft it seems to be fine

But the actuator pin will not move out at all I guess I am gunna pull it and see what's going on in side.

Thanks for all your help Clap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the whole grot diff out and apart today
I found that the shuttle shaft was bent and Jammed not sure how it got bent.
But the one little shaft that have the spring pushing fork out was bent in half at the little o ring

Any ideas what would cause this :wub:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 400 4x4 FIS- 3x4 not a 4x4!!

I too have the same quad, and the right front wheel does not engage or get any power while in 4x4... not in high, low, reverse, locked diff... no power to that wheel at all. Front left seems to be just fine. Was this what your problem was? Did you figure out the cause and cure? I am having a tech look at it tomorrow, but any help you can offer would be appreciated, so I can pass along the info. thanks!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have the same issue with my 06 H1, on one of the summers last rides it shot some parts out through the bottom of the case and I lost drive to the right wheel. I have not had time to take it apart yet, but I believe the side or spider gears failed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts