Banned
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
well,...gotta give credit where its do.
sounds like he earned it.
lead every lap,...thats good driving. in my book.

it would be nice to some more win's from the "green" camp :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
How does a sled go from the biggest :turd: in the field to a race winner? In Duluth, that thing couldn't even get out of its own way. :S

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
If they ever start winning races in Stock class then you have something to worry about. I hope 4 strokes don't take over sled racing like they did MX. Glad to see Yamaha get a win but I am not looking forward to the day they start winning the stock class.

·
Registered
85 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (greensled @ Jan 14 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How does a sled go from the biggest :turd: in the field to a race winner? In Duluth, that thing couldn't even get out of its own way. :S[/b]

They gave the Yammi a two lap lead. :super_happy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
what makes me angry is how yamaha is gonna force the other manufactures into changing into 4 strokes just because they couldn't build a 2 stroke twin worth crap. I know the hp is about the same between the yami and the other manu's, but that four stroke has a ton of torque with it being a 1000. I really think its wrong for yamaha to manipulate the sport like this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think Yamaha used to make some incredible 2 strokes; by far the most reliable. Wouldn,t you like a sled that can reliably go 10,000 miles with minimal issues? 16 mpg driving hard on any regular grade fuel? Take off the blinders; give up the 8 track player & look towards the future!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gade600 @ Jan 14 2007, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what makes me angry is how yamaha is gonna force the other manufactures into changing into 4 strokes just because they couldn't build a 2 stroke twin worth crap. I know the hp is about the same between the yami and the other manu's, but that four stroke has a ton of torque with it being a 1000. I really think its wrong for yamaha to manipulate the sport like this.[/b]
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but they aren't going to force anyone to do anything. Now if they are building a better product and the other brands need to switch over to keep up... that's not called manipulation.

It's called progress.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
So this was the open class? What was he running? Modded apex or what? I used to live and breath Sno-x....and am clueless these days.

·
Registered
60 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tuner @ Jan 15 2007, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Yamaha used to make some incredible 2 strokes; by far the most reliable. Wouldn,t you like a sled that can reliably go 10,000 miles with minimal issues? 16 mpg driving hard on any regular grade fuel? Take off the blinders; give up the 8 track player & look towards the future![/b]
My next sled will definitly be a Yamaha. The torque of the motor is unbelievable. Who cares that its heavy. The Apex rips!!

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Pro Open = anything allowed.
And with a Phazer in Pro Open we could be looking at the long rumored Turbo 500 engine. I'd like to see some close ups of that engine bay. And what was his comment ? "That engine is so powerful--It's all Yamaha!" Uhm... where did that come from ??!!
Remember back to the early rev ? They ran it in Pro Open and crushed everything. I think we also should be looking for that sled soon as they have said it will be out in Pro Open this month.

Just playing cards with all the rumors we've had flying,
Steve

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
So this sled was 1000cc's and modded to who knows how hp?? How the heck could he hang on?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congrats to Yammi and Malinoski. Yammi's 4 strokes are certainly sweet and nothing should be taken away from them. Ultimate performance is what matters and I have been saying forever now that weight is given WAY more attention that it really deserves in this industry. A sled that weighs 100 lbs more but has massive torque and HP will still win.

MX bikes are a perfect example of the weight vs. power issue. The new 4 strokes bikes weigh more than 2 strokers and weight means a lot more in the bike world where they are whipping them out while flying 75 feet through the air. But 2 strokes are COMPLETELY dead now in MX because the 2 strokes cannot keep up with the "heavier" 4 strokes and make the kind of racing power that they do.

Not too far down the road we will be seeing 4 stroke sleds that weigh under 500 lbs. And yamaha is going to have such a massive lead on everyone else....it will be ugly.

That being said....I still love my cat!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
So looking at this we have sleds that are probably in excess of 200hp running against 150hp 600's?? Is that accurate? Melrose?? I'm guessing Yami has BIG BIG $$ into some VERY high-tech light parts in that sled also. Probably not much of a weight penalty...and wayyyy more power.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmscat50 @ Jan 15 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So looking at this we have sleds that are probably in excess of 200hp running against 150hp 600's?? Is that accurate? Melrose?? I'm guessing Yami has BIG BIG $$ into some VERY high-tech light parts in that sled also. Probably not much of a weight penalty...and wayyyy more power.[/b]
I agree. 1000cc's vs. 600 is not fair (just like in mx where 450's vs. 250's).

They should at least allow 1000 2-strokes (or limit 4 strokes to the same displacement). It's obvious to me that 4-strokes will take over, not because they are better but because that is what the industry wants.

Just because 4-strokes are heavier does not mean you should penalize 2-stroke engines and limit them to almost half the size.

There is no replacment for displacement.

·
Registered
275 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigblock2stroke @ Jan 15 2007, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmscat50 @ Jan 15 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So looking at this we have sleds that are probably in excess of 200hp running against 150hp 600's?? Is that accurate? Melrose?? I'm guessing Yami has BIG BIG $$ into some VERY high-tech light parts in that sled also. Probably not much of a weight penalty...and wayyyy more power.[/b]
I agree. 1000cc's vs. 600 is not fair (just like in mx where 450's vs. 250's).

They should at least allow 1000 2-strokes (or limit 4 strokes to the same displacement). It's obvious to me that 4-strokes will take over, not because they are better but because that is what the industry wants.

Just because 4-strokes are heavier does not mean you should penalize 2-stroke engines and limit them to almost half the size.

There is no replacment for displacement.
[/b][/quote]

Your wrong.....cc's have nothing to do with it and shouldn't. HP is and should continue to be the dominant factor. Besides....it isn't the HP that makes these 4 strokes walk all over the 2 strokes....its the usable torque AND HP that they can create to make much more powerful low/mid range that translates to more power to the ground.

Besides...this is in the open class where it isn't 200 HP vs. 150 HP.....all of these sleds are probably producing around 180 HP....but the yammi probably has 25%-50% more torque in the low/mid range.

Face it fellas....4 strokes have more capability and potential than 2 strokes. I still love the rip of a 2 stroke, but its day is numbered.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spedf7 @ Jan 15 2007, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tuner @ Jan 15 2007, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Yamaha used to make some incredible 2 strokes; by far the most reliable. Wouldn,t you like a sled that can reliably go 10,000 miles with minimal issues? 16 mpg driving hard on any regular grade fuel? Take off the blinders; give up the 8 track player & look towards the future![/b]
My next sled will definitly be a Yamaha. The torque of the motor is unbelievable. Who cares that its heavy. The Apex rips!!
[/b][/quote]

I care.

Same thing happened to jet-skis.

My 92 Sea Doo XP was a lightweight air machine. Nowadays you can only buy tanks with huge hp that you need a tidal wave to get them in the air.

Same thing will happen with sleds. You won't see sub 500lb 4-stroke sleds. You'll see 6-700 lbs sleds with huge displacement/hp that can handle/jump for chit, but will do 130mph.

I must be getting old, but I can see the end is near.

I'll wait and buy the last X-fire 1000 model year as a leftover and it will be my last sled purchase until I'm really old and just want to "cruise".

1 - 20 of 48 Posts