Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just don't understand this. My husband and friend have the new 2007 Polaris IQ FST snowmobiles. Now as we all know, snowmobiles are designed for cold temperatures, for this time of year. You can usually depend on them to get anywhere in bad winter conditions compared to a vehicle. Well, yesterday morning the guys went to start thier IQ's and the darn things wouldn't start. The starter wouldn't even engage to turn the motor over. How reliable is that? We normally park the sleds in the garage, but they left theirs out that night. Either way, there's many of us out there that don't have somewhere indoors to park them, so what do those people do when you can't start them in the cold?

I just think this is crazy not to mention unreliable. Sure okay, I probalby would have had to pull the heck out of my F6, but I would have got it going, not like thier machines.

Anyone out there have the 4-stroke cats? Do any of the Cats have this reputation on a really cold day?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
My ol'man has the 04 T660 Turbo Touring and has never had it not start, even on the coldest days in the winter (he tried just for curiousity, -30*) after setting in an unheated garage.
What weight oil are they running in their Poo's, possibly it is to thick for the temps? Or maybe it is just a issue with the new 4-stroke IQ's I dunno

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GoFastCat @ Feb 5 2007, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My ol'man has the 04 T660 Turbo Touring and has never had it not start, even on the coldest days in the winter (he tried just for curiousity, -30*) after setting in an unheated garage.
What weight oil are they running in their Poo's, possibly it is to thick for the temps? Or maybe it is just a issue with the new 4-stroke IQ's I dunno[/b]

I can't remember what oil they're running in those machines. Unlike me of course, they never have to top the oil up. The temperature here was -35 degrees C out and they were left out all night. They went back at 2 in the afternoon and managed to get them started, but only after turning the key over and over again to get the starter to engage.

I joked when they first got them and said..."Where's your block heater cord?" Makes you wonder though doesn't it?

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FreezerBurnt @ Feb 5 2007, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Go read FST forums

They are known for that

Polaris really struck out making the FST IMO[/b]
Aren't those Polaris sleds associated with 'F'reezing and 'S'tranded 'T'emperatures ?. I dunno naughty :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Even 2 strokes can have problems starting up in the cold and yes even arctic cats. I know of 2 arctic cat sleds that start horrible a zl440 and a z370. The Polaris FST is a very underrated sled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2006 Turbo Touring LE does have a heater w/plug in cord that they recommend when -15 or colder . Even has remote start and heated seats if it really gets cold. Where's the defroster for this thing?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Billybob @ Feb 5 2007, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My 2006 Turbo Touring LE does have a heater w/plug in cord that they recommend when -15 or colder . Even has remote start and heated seats if it really gets cold. Where's the defroster for this thing?[/b]
The 04 T660 has the heater plug as well but my ol'man has never used it to my knowledge, never had the need for it.
I could see not being able to start in cold temps a pain, espeically for a snowmobile. FreezerBurnt or anyone else that knows, what is causing the FST to not start in the cold temps or is it an unknown problem??

·
Registered
738 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Even 2 strokes can have problems starting up in the cold and yes even arctic cats. I know of 2 arctic cat sleds that start horrible a zl440 and a z370. The Polaris FST is a very underrated sled.[/b]
wow my z570 will usually start on the second or 3rd pull when its been sitting outside at -20

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I left my ZRT outside last thursday night and I was unable to turn it over on fri. I took the belt off and I could just barely rotate the clutch it was so stiff. After a day in a heated garage she fired right up.

It is way too cold. -40C without the windchill last night.

Kevin

·
Registered
738 Posts
do you wanna know what the secret is?

choke the sled to kill it when you park it for the night, it put a bunch of oil and gas in the cylinder and lubricate it so its easier to turn over. my sled used to start in 4-5 pulls(2 to prime and 2 or 3 to start it) but now it starts in 2 or 3 pulls.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey I don't know the Polaris machines at all. I just happen to love the cats, and always have, but have never had anything against Polaris. Just thought it was weird though that the darn things wouldn't start. Also, now with hearing from a couple of you that you have heater cords on your 4-strokes, why in the world doesn't Polaris? It is a 4-stroke motor after all, and when you think 4-stroke, you think vehicle, and you think OUCH in cold weather, unless it's plugged in.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how long it takes before the block heater is added to these motors.

·
Registered
564 Posts
A. There on Poos
B. Small engines like that arnt exactly made for cold weather but im sure there was a few piece fabricated to withstand cold temps. Its hard for small engines to start in cold.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dad has almost 6000 miles on his 2003 4-Stroke Touring Cat and he has never had an issue starting the sled. That includes nights where the sled is left outside in -30C temp's of Central NL. It might take a few extra seconds to catch, but has never failed yet. Nor Does my Cat after 3 or 4 pulls, haha!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Morgan @ Feb 6 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You mean they don't have a pull start? I would not own a sled that has to rely on a battery for it to run.[/b]
Nope! They don't have a pull start. My reaction to that was quite obvious too. So you have absolutely no backup with those sleds. When the battery quits, or the starter doesn't work, you're stuck no matter what. But I think too that the reason they don't have a pull start is because you probably couldn't turn the motor over with a pull cord. Am I right with that one?

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Flying Pumpkin @ Feb 6 2007, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Morgan @ Feb 6 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean they don't have a pull start? I would not own a sled that has to rely on a battery for it to run.[/b]
Nope! They don't have a pull start. My reaction to that was quite obvious too. So you have absolutely no backup with those sleds. When the battery quits, or the starter doesn't work, you're stuck no matter what. But I think too that the reason they don't have a pull start is because you probably couldn't turn the motor over with a pull cord. Am I right with that one?
[/b][/quote]

yea,..i would think it would be impossable to pull start a 4cycle motor of that size.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Flying Pumpkin @ Feb 6 2007, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Morgan @ Feb 6 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

You are not completely done and out if the battery or starter fails. Even with the 4-stroke you can still emergency start them by using rope around the primary clutch. There used to be a good write-up from a member on here about it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 06 t660 touring.. Havent had it long so I can't say about the startingof it in the cold, but my 02 500 cat atv has always started in very cold temps.
I don't know if there is much difference but wouldn't ATV's have a hard time starting if it was just 4 strokes that were hard to start in the cold.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts