Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I just picked up an 02 660 trail. Only 1200 miles, beautiful shape, runs good, everything works except thumb warmer.
The problem is when riding along it sometimes cuts out for an instant; lights, dash, everything. It only happens for an instant about 1/4 of a second, the Sled only imperceptibly if slows at all. I can't seem to find a pattern, it happens uphill downhill bumps it's just very random. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
We have another member with the same issue. We haven’t figured it out yet other than check grounds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea I will check that next. Before I rode today I found one of the battery terminals was a little bit loose was hoping that was the problem but tonight at did it some more

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem at my 660. It is the emergency stop that's the problem so I have just bypassed it and now it works perfectly fine. (The problem is the emergency stop that stops the snowmobile if you release the gas to quick.)
Hope it helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that as well.both you and 660Catman have given me good places to start. I will check and see today if that is when it is occurring

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
This is a fairly common issue related to the throttle safety switch and is easily bypassed. Start there before tearing in to anything else. Do a search on "throttle safety switch" for more info. This Youtube video will also help you know what to look for:

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
2002 4-Strokes have an issue with the bushing in the throttle lever that causes the throttle safety switch to kick on when it shouldn't.

There's an update kit, I'm trying to look for the PN but I'm failing at the moment. I had one in my tool box until just recently but I gave it away. I bet a dealer has a way to look at all the updates that were offered on those machines. There was also an issue with the 02 sensor and routing the spedo cable.

The 2002 4-Stroke are a bit of an odd ball machine. They have a few parts that are unique to that year, the throttle assembly being one of them.

As far as the thumb warmer goes I bet the two little metal elements have become delaminated. I've had to replace the thumb warmer on my '04 for this reason. The replacement part comes with glue and a new foam pad. It was an easy fix.

K

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW...All the guys that say bypass it, it's a different setup than the 2-Stokes. Try to track down that update kit, it's the answer to the problem.

K
Thank you Kopeck and Zieman I took her out a couple more times and its doing it under all conditions, accelerating, decelerating, Hills up and down and bumps. No rhyme no reason
thank you for the bulletin I think I have a line on one of those update kids. Keep you posted.
Think snow!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
  1. Thank you for that as well.both you and 660Catman have given me good places to start. I will check and see today if that is when it is occurring
  2. Man...sometimes I wonder why I keep stuff but every now and then it pays off. See attached, it's all the service bulletins for the '02 4-Strokes. The last one (last 2 pages) is the one you need to pay attention to.

K
    I was just rereading that service bulletins. It says they will allow 0. 2 hours for the repair of this defect. Do you think after all these years they would still honor that? Assuming it hasn't already been done

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Doubt they will cover it but you never know. You can always ask. I think if you give a dealer your VIN, they should be able to look it up to see if it was done. I did look up part number 0609-144 for seal they recommend in the bulletin and it's $1.24. I look in the parts fische and it lists part number 0609-038 at $1.46. Both are valid part numbers and I can't see difference in pictures. However the O2 sensor in the other bulletin is $330.44.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts