Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have an AC 400 manual (IFS) with some tranny issues. Took it out for a winter ride, lost 4th gear. It kept slipping and refused to stay in gear. I limped it back to the trailer and home. When I unloaded it, while in neutral and at idle, it sounded like a box of marbles. Could be a shift fork or more, I don't feel confident enough to split the case myself and attempt repairs. Any sugestions?

Second, I have read a few threads regarding rear diffs prematurely failing. After every ride, I check mine (grab the axle shaft and wiggle it). If you can see play at the diff housing, you NEED to tighten it! I have looked at many ATV rear diffs and AC (to me) has the weakest set-up. I have built a bracket that will stiffen and shore up the rear diff. That is after I get the tranny fixed! I will re-post in a month or so, just need time/$$ to make it happen.

Lastly, there were some posts regarding spring kits to allow use of oversized tires. I am running 27" ITP Mud Lites on factory wheels and feel they contributed to my tranny woes. The posts I saw (I was not a member here then) mentioned EPI's kits. First off, the kits, I thought they were used on autos, not manuals. Having said that, do they offer kits to fit a 400 manual? I have seen the green, purple and orange springs mentioned on reply after reply. It seems the orange would be the way to go, provided they work in manaul trannies, do they???

Thanks for the great info, if there are some die-hard wrenchers who have the knowledge, please PM or email me. I don't want to shell out $1,500 or more for repairs!!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
welcome!
first the tranny doesn't sound too good to me, my guess is that if you haven't ever had one apart you might want to pay a reputable mechanic to look into that, might have broken a gear and that is what you hear rattleing around in there. i wouldn't run it like that personaly just so you can minimize any more damage (internal)

second, good idea on stiffing up the bracket for the diff, i personaly haven't had any problems in that area but if i did then i would look into fabing something also.

third, this is only for the auto's i believe, before you look into springs i would try the high elevation mod on your 400 in the secondary, do a search it's around here some ware. basically it's a mod on the secondary clutch where you have your current hole for the spring to sit in (put it at a 12 o'clock position) and you will be drilling a new hole for the spring to sit in ( at the 3 o'clock) position which in turn puts more pressure on the spring and doesn't shift the secondary as quickly and helps backshift quicker (better engine brakeing per say).

as for manual's i would wait to hear what some of the other more experienced members are doing if anything, mabey internal springs for enguagement rpm's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 15 2007, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
third, this is only for the auto's i believe, before you look into springs i would try the high elevation mod on your 400 in the secondary, do a search it's around here some ware. basically it's a mod on the secondary clutch where you have your current hole for the spring to sit in (put it at a 12 o'clock position) and you will be drilling a new hole for the spring to sit in ( at the 3 o'clock) position which in turn puts more pressure on the spring and doesn't shift the secondary as quickly and helps backshift quicker (better engine brakeing per say).

as for manual's i would wait to hear what some of the other more experienced members are doing if anything, mabey internal springs for enguagement rpm's?[/b]
Who can I obtain such priceless info? Is the process complex? I am mechanically inclined, just never tore into my quad yet. Thanks none the less, MT Native

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Montana Native @ Jan 15 2007, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lastly, there were some posts regarding spring kits to allow use of oversized tires. I am running 27" ITP Mud Lites on factory wheels and feel they contributed to my tranny woes. The posts I saw (I was not a member here then) mentioned EPI's kits. First off, the kits, I thought they were used on autos, not manuals. Having said that, do they offer kits to fit a 400 manual? I have seen the green, purple and orange springs mentioned on reply after reply. It seems the orange would be the way to go, provided they work in manaul trannies, do they???

Thanks for the great info, if there are some die-hard wrenchers who have the knowledge, please PM or email me. I don't want to shell out $1,500 or more for repairs!![/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Montana Native @ Jan 17 2007, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Jan 15 2007, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as for manual's i would wait to hear what some of the other more experienced members are doing if anything, mabey internal springs for enguagement rpm's?[/b]
Who can I obtain such priceless info? Is the process complex? I am mechanically inclined, just never tore into my quad yet. Thanks none the less, MT Native
[/b][/quote]

There is a clutch kit for the 400 manuals just check out >>THIS POST<< or maybe thats the post you were referring too I dunno

Basically the stiffer spring raise the centrifugal clutch engagment allowing the motor to be higher up in the tourqe and horsepower to help get the tires spinning and keep them turning. Unfortunately I doubt it would have helped out your tranny problem as it would have created more shock to the gears then the stock springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts