Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a sled for my girl friend. She is about 120 lbs and not an inch over 5 feet tall. took her on a couple rides thisyear and she rode my 01 500 zr and she loved riding. So I figured it was time to get her a sled. Was looking at getting a 370 or a 440? I think she would benefit from having the 370 with revese and ES but I dont want to get her something to small. I dont want to spend a ton of money on one either, because I know she wont ride but maybe 300-500 miles a year. Give me your thoughts on what I should go with!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
either one would be fine and either one can be had with electric start and reverse. I just picked up a 1999 Jag 440 with electric start for $900. It didn't have reverse, but it was an available option and I have seen them advertised with the reverse already. I have a reverse chaincase I am going to put on it anyway. The 440 has plenty of get up and go. I bought it for my 10 year old, and he will likely use it until he is 15 or 16 years old. The 370's are about 40 horsepower and the 440's are about 50 horsepower. For what you are looking for I would probably just keep an eye out and pick up the first suitable one you find. Below is a picture of the Jag I bought.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I picked up a 1998 Jag 440 DLX for my girlfriend this year. It only had 1500 miles on it and not a speck of rust. The thing was immaculate and I think a good deal at $1450! It has electric start, but no reverse.

She absolutely loves the sled. It has just the right amount of power for her to control it and she still has throttle left to go. I would go with the 440 because it's easier to grow into the sled and maybe get a few more years out of it than you would the 370. If she gets used to the 370 right away and needs more power then you will have to upgrade it anyway.

Either way I think it's a safer bet than getting her a liquid. But that's just my2cents
Good luck!

Pics of her Jag: (http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/snowmobiles-sale/282163-1998-ac-jag-440dlx-ne-wi.html)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looking to get a sled for my girl friend. She is about 120 lbs and not an inch over 5 feet tall. took her on a couple rides thisyear and she rode my 01 500 zr and she loved riding. So I figured it was time to get her a sled. Was looking at getting a 370 or a 440? I think she would benefit from having the 370 with revese and ES but I dont want to get her something to small. I dont want to spend a ton of money on one either, because I know she wont ride but maybe 300-500 miles a year. Give me your thoughts on what I should go with!

Thanks!
We've got one of each. Z370 tops out at 55mph, a blast in the tight stuff, great fuel mileage. Z440 Hit's about 65mph and the bit of extra umph will be welcomed as she gain experience. Both have been trouble free replaced the Clutch side driveshaft bearings, and the throttle safety switch overide. 35xx miles on each

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
I have to agree with everything said here... I bought that 2000' Fan Z440 in my icon pic too the left ...has about 3200? for my Son in Feb. 2001' (still have it now)... He was around the 110-120 wieght at the time, he rode that till 05' when he bought his 03'F7 at age 17...
We had double rode a few times as he was learning on it at age 13 and I even hit 62-67 mph with it... as you can see I still like to ride it and it still ride's well... It will definitley climb hill's ( steep inclines ) a bit better than the 370 will... and keep up with newer sleds at a 50 mph pace no problem... That Light Wieght Twin..is a solid engine, you can let them sit..and with just afew pull's they are running..( unless you add electric start ) ... the reverse we don't have ..but for your Lady friend..it might be a good option.
On that note:... Most of the dealer's around here..can re-sell a Fan 440 pretty fast, and you don't see many out there for sale as they are a Keeper sled... for any low snow or icey type conditions ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts