Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: First time poster for an unusual problem. The 366 is an 08 with 70 hours on it. It has started sluggish from day one and now is at the point where it won't crank a full rotation.

The battery is new the starter is new the voltage is correct and the valves are adjuted. To me it feels like the auto decompression is not doing it's job. Has anyone else had this issue that can help me out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
no longer under warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
alot of us got three year warranty's.

how much voltage does the battery have and what does it drop to when you crank it? have you checked the starter relay?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very common, Mine does it too. If I give it a little throttle it will always start though. My dealer says it is a common problem. He adjusted my valves, didn't change it. Are you having a tough time getting it to start or does it just not start easy?

famer2

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine does too... A quick double tap on the starter and feathering the throttle will make mine start easy though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to able to do the double tap and throttle when it was newer but it just got worse and worse, now the starter just doesn't have the power to get a full revolution. I think it would start ok if I can just get a crank. The lack of a pull start has me steamed too.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
did you charge the new battery? use a tender? do some heavy winching? what are the voltage's?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Battery is in, charged and over 12.3 volts, no winch. I even tired jumping with my truck and had the same results.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Check all the connections to and from the starter as well as the ground.
Not just visual take them apart and clean them.

BTI

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickin @ Nov 23 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
New Battery is in, charged and over 12.3 volts, no winch. I even tired jumping with my truck and had the same results.[/b]

I hope you didn't have your truck running when you did that. It may cause damage the to electrical system of the atv.

·
Registered
429 Posts
put a battery tender on it.mine was doing the same thing so i went out and bought a recoil.but with the tender on it i never need the recoil

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had the same problem I adjusted my valves and so far so good!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just picked up the 366 from the dealer and they adjusted the valves (to an out of spec condition) it starts but still stops dead on the first try. This just is not right. Does anyone have the customer service number that is not for dealers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Go figure the top speed is now at 27 MPH. This must be the reprocusion of setting the valves at .001.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickin @ Dec 3 2009, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Go figure the top speed is now at 27 MPH. This must be the reprocusion of setting the valves at .001.[/b]
say what????????????? GET A NEW DEALER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

set those valves right before they hit the piston, a tight lash makes harder starting not easier, more than likely the problem is weak battery, like said on page 1.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I'd say .001 is a little tight. After you adjust the valves if you still have trouble starting check your ground. I've seen a few cars with this same condition, renewd the ground and problem solved. Have even had to run the ground to the starter mount bolt in a couple of cases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mudcat, the tighter lash allows the decompression to work better so I can get the motor a full revolution to start. The theory here is if the motor won't turn there is no chance of starting. The dealer is right in this regard but I agree it is a piss poor alternative to what he told me is a bad design. The battery is new and fully charged with good connections. The starter is getting the juice.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Your dealer stinks...he adjusted the valves but never did a test drive?
Out of spec as a "fix" wow

Anyway, I still think it's voltage related.
The batt should have more than 12.3 volts fully charged and at rest.
Did you check all your connections, ground and positive going to starter??
Did you or them do a load test on the battery?
I would remove the ground and put some star washers on it...in order---frame-star washer-neg cable -star washer then nut or bolt whichever it has.

The 366 is made by Kymco (MXU 375), do a search for one of their dealers....might be of more help, they probably sell more of that model than Cat.

BTI

1 - 20 of 34 Posts