Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i know its just a 366 but its what i have to work with...

I have a 366 and i read somewhere that you could swap out the factory diff with a locking one. I haven't found any real information on it. What are my options, i am mechanically inclined but not so great with differentials. Can it be swapped or modified?

I have beat the hell out of it... Wether its going through creeks with 2-1/2' to 3' of water, rough terrain trails 40 miles long, climbing shelf rock or making my own paths through the woods. It's been a good machine. I just keep up with the fluid changes and try not to flip it. To explain how hard i am on it... First month of owning it i broke the right headlight, put a stump through the right fender well plastic, rolled it on shelf rock and broke the right rear fender plastic and sunk it in 3' of Missouri clay. I have owned this machine for 9 months. It's not my first atv and hopefully someday the wife will let me get the mudpro i want.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
there's a member on here that put 4.0 gears and the locker in one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eicivic @ Nov 12 2009, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah i know its just a 366 but its what i have to work with...

I have a 366 and i read somewhere that you could swap out the factory diff with a locking one. I haven't found any real information on it. What are my options, i am mechanically inclined but not so great with differentials. Can it be swapped or modified?

I have beat the hell out of it... Whether its going through creeks with 2-1/2' to 3' of water, rough terrain trails 40 miles long, climbing shelf rock or making my own paths through the woods. It's been a good machine. I just keep up with the fluid changes and try not to flip it. To explain how hard i am on it... First month of owning it i broke the right headlight, put a stump through the right fender well plastic, rolled it on shelf rock and broke the right rear fender plastic and sunk it in 3' of Missouri clay. I have owned this machine for 9 months. It's not my first atv and hopefully someday the wife will let me get the mudpro i want.[/b]
They are a helluva lot tougher than they appear. Other than rack deep water, running into trees, burying it in a sinkhole in the woods and accidentally going off a ten foot cliff, which scared the hell out of me cause I was expecting the worst during my brief freefall, but both me and the 366 came out unharmed. So yeah, I always ride it easy...atleast loading it in the trailer,lol.

I would definitely like to hear more about the locking diff. IIRC the 366 front diff doesn't share a common part# with any other cats w/locking diffs so I wouldn't know what to tell you about doing a swap or modification to the existing 366 diff. I'll do a search and see if I can find what Indiana is talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
username is FRANKP, he hasn't been on since july. i'll see what else i can search up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I dont have enough time now, but after some looking I know the Part# for the front gearcase housing is the same on the 366 and 650v2. Seems like it's a start in the right direction for now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I did some digging...seems like the 4.0'(or whatever gear you want) with diff lock will bolt in with just changing the inner cups out.

Like Indianna said, just search FRANKP and you can put the pieces together from there.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
i searched 366 diffs and on pages 13,14 and 15 he has some short threads about the swap. seems sanny helped him with info and the first set of diffs he did. basically i got that he just swapped in the 400-tcat diffs, and had to change the cv cup on the front left axle to mate with the locker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts