Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Takes me 25-30 pulls to get my 98 ZR 500 to get running, then it runs fine/perfect and starts first pull when warm. Seems to me it should start easier than that first time when cold though. New to the ZR. Thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Perhaps your choke is malfunctioning. Needs a really rich mixture to start when cold.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thats nfg,when your throttle is closed your choke circuit can suck fuel into the motor,with 30 pulls you would be putting way too much fuel into the motor if everything is working right,i would be checking your choke adjustment or even the choke circuit within the carb to see what the problem was

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat lover @ Jan 14 2007, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my 500 starts 2nd pull every time. Even after I have drained and cleaned the carbs and primed the carbs it only took 3 pulls.[/b]
Somethings definitely not right then. It takes me 20-30 pulls and with a bad shoulder, it's not much fun. Once I get it started though, it runs perfect and starts on 1st pull everytime once warmed up....I just figured because it's 9 years old, it's gonna start a little rough. Just came back from the dealer too and they said it was good to go............???

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
When it is in the dealers place, it's nice and warm. I had a 98 & 99 ZR 500. 2 pulls at -20 and they were going. Like the above posts state, check the choke cables, etc. And I would look at the fuel pump also.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never had to pull on mine more than once to get it going. i would check the fuel filter and gas lines

·
Registered
473 Posts
are you using the choke when you start it the first time? just making sure that you are....

I would agree, problem looks like a simple choke problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
30 pulls to start?
sounds like someone sold you a ski-doo with Arctic Cat stickers on it.

my old ZR600 EFI started with no more than 2 pulls EVERYTIME. That EFI was the best.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
don't know if this'll cure yours, but some of the late 90's sno pros have a cold starting issue, let them sit more than 3-4 days, and it'll take quite a few pulls on them also,, gonna' pull my carbs and slightly enlarge the choke emulsion tubes to allow easier pull of fuel on choke (enrichening) circuit (approx .005''-.010'' larger) using wire drills

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could be that you are too lean on the pilot. I leaned mine out last spring (went down a size) but I forgot to rejet it this past fall. I had the same problem when I tried to start it one night at -20 with the choke fully on. It was very hard to start - but once it warmed up, it was fine. I then remembered that I still had the smaller pilot in from last spring - so I put my original pilot in and its fine now. Like sysanalyst said, they need a very rich mixture to start when cold and even with my choke on, it was still too lean.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On my 97 ZR440 I installed a primer.
Two pumps on that with choke wide open and it fires the first time. Knock the choke off to half for a minute or two then no choke until it warms up.
Just what I did.... I dunno
SDOG

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have u checked compression, Mabie your rings are shot and not giving you good compression when cold? My sled will start one pull with half choke, no matter what temp it is.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Choke was shot - figured it out. No wonder I was rippin' my shoulder outta joint............ ;) Thanks to all who responded......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts