Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem with my 95 zr 580. The thing will run for a solid 10-20 mins then blows the 3 amp efi/ecu fuse... put a new one in runs for another 5 mins... throw another in and blows as soon as i turn the key. Once I bring it home and let it cool down it starts right up and the process starts all over again. I have replaced both voltage regulators along with my ignition and battery wires and it is still doing the same thing. Hoping somebody might know what is wrong with this thing as its still in really nice shape and is great when it's actually running right. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
170 Posts
that's a shame. something in the efi ecu circuit is shorting. I hope it's a wire.. check the circuit against the wiring schematic. if all the wires are ok. try stepping up the fuse a little. if the ecu is shorting its messed up anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you measure the voltage at that fuse when cold? Then check again when hot?
Also, to be safe, I would probably ohm the stator wires too.
how would i do that ? one end grounded and the hot gets poke in the fuse itself ....? can it be the fuel pump ? it works till fuse pops . also i dont see any light in the ecu flashing what so ever . thought it could throw a code but zero light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's a shame. something in the efi ecu circuit is shorting. I hope it's a wire.. check the circuit against the wiring schematic. if all the wires are ok. try stepping up the fuse a little. if the ecu is shorting its messed up anyway.
i put a 15amp fuse and it blew that one also. no light at all for flashing codes . thats the clue im getting for a bad ecu....not sure yet but im reading a lot and getting schooled big time on this machine lol .

·
Registered
170 Posts
not sure. if the fuel pump is running on that 3 amp circuit it could be that as well. you can ohm out a fuel pump pretty easy. if you get your hands on a schematic you can separate the circuit and find the short. if it's blowing a15 amp fuse fairly quickly it won't be hard to find

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure. if the fuel pump is running on that 3 amp circuit it could be that as well. you can ohm out a fuel pump pretty easy. if you get your hands on a schematic you can separate the circuit and find the short. if it's blowing a15 amp fuse fairly quickly it won't be hard to find
sled was dead in yard popping fuses left and right . soon as i plugged the tether switch it pops. left it till just now and with new fuse started right up and i zipped it in my garage . now im going to do what everyone said . in a warm garage . ugh. why does it start the next day ? it only runs for 20min till it pops the efi/ecu 3 amp fuse . i did have a 15 amp when i just rode it home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure. if the fuel pump is running on that 3 amp circuit it could be that as well. you can ohm out a fuel pump pretty easy. if you get your hands on a schematic you can separate the circuit and find the short. if it's blowing a 15 amp fuse fairly quickly it won't be hard to find
it is the 3amp fuse that pops . it says , efi/ecu. the fuel pump is on a 0 amp circuit . never popped . anyways dont know if this fixed it but i noticed the pto side plug wasnt working . tugged it a little bit and cam right off . put it back real tight and rod sled for 1hr no problems . very fast and spunky .hope the plug wire was issue but wont know cuz all the snow is melting now . gonna be 50 next week ugh lol thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is the 3amp fuse that pops . it says , efi/ecu. the fuel pump is on a 0 amp circuit . never popped . anyways dont know if this fixed it but i noticed the pto side plug wasnt working . tugged it a little bit and cam right off . put it back real tight and rod sled for 1hr no problems . very fast and spunky .hope the plug wire was issue but wont know cuz all the snow is melting now . gonna be 50 next week ugh lol thanks
15 amp

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't think a loose spark plug wire would cause a fuse to blow, however if it went quite a while before blowing a 15 amp fuse I would also have to assume it's not the ecm. have you checked to make sure there's no wires rubbed short anywhere? you can keep putting 15 amp fuses in it until the problem shows up but at sometime the stator will give as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
  1. 362527
    from the fuse panel in the lower right corner 3 amp circuit is red yellow wire. runs to the ignition switch then to the ecm. seems fairly simple. the short could be in your key switch or wire. beware there are other red yellow wires that have nothing to do with this circuit

·
Registered
170 Posts
I forgot to mention after the start switch this 3 amp circuit makes its rounds to all the safety switches. engine kill switch tss some light bulb. if your suspecting anything in the start/ safety switches you can connect the red yellow (before the key switch) to the black yellow (three prong after tss) with a jumper wire. disconnect the jumper to shut the sled off. see if anything shorts out or not with a3 amp fuse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
found more wires shorting on steering stem. someone before me has zipp tied wires to the moving stem tight and wore through wire . i was in garage and seen it spark when i moved handle bar while running . so happy to actually see it spark cuz now it is fixed and running for hours . only 3k miles on it . happiness again lol thanks !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no , snow is gone for now but i did have it running for 1hr in garage . i have heating element inside of bars . i cant find the exact replacement . they are like 2 inches long . i did a volt test on the wire and it is 6.2v . i really thought they were 12v. now im wondering if i put over the bar element that the 6 volt wont get hot enough . what ya think ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
6.2 v seems wrong. I'm just going off ther electric schematic up top.(which I'm only presuming is very close to yours) there is no 6v circuit from the stator except possibly one going to cdi. it could be lower voltage if it's not idled up enough. make sure you have a good ground where your checking it and all the engine, chassis, and voltage reg grounds all look good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i just checked again and the 2 yellow wires crimped to female end is 6 volts that power the thumb heater which works great and the internal plug type heating element that neither work but it is 6v. maybe the plugs run off 6v. i dont know if my new tape on bar heating elements that i just ordered will run off 6v . description says 12v power.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gotcha. I looked again at the stator schematic. I always figured everything from the stator was a 12v circuit. either way, it shouldn't be hard to find 12v. from the stator there are 4 wires. find out with your meter which one is 12v. .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts