Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like every time i head out for a ride in COLD temps. my 2wd/4wd switch is FROZEN!, before startin must use heat gun to defrost switch.
will be OK for a bit then freezes up during ride (wont switch between 2wd/4wd). tried WD40, wrappin heat pad around mount to draw out moisture,
still freezes bang your head . ANY SUGGESTIONS ?
(THE CATS LAIR HAS NO HEAT )

:beer_cheers:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Can you take the switch apart? If you can, get some light viscosity dielectric grease that will remain soft in cold temperatures and put as much in the switch as possible. Hopefully, it will keep water from entering the internals of the switch. When the weather gets hot though, the grease might run out. Check out the link below for cold weather ATV tips.

http://www.vernonmotorsports.com/index.cfm...5D061199188035A

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Check to see the actuator down on the front diff isn't frozen or hanging up that was the problem with mine, I took that apart and filled the boot with grease to keep it working right.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (trailhawk @ Jan 30 2007, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Check to see the actuator down on the front diff isn't frozen or hanging up that was the problem with mine, I took that apart and filled the boot with grease to keep it working right.[/b]

I think TrailHawk is right on it, I can't see it being the switch unless there is something seriously wrong/defective to allow that much moisture/water in it to freeze. When I lived in NH last year we rode all winter long in freezing temps and never ran into any issues and haven't seen any other cold winter riders mention this issue either. Wouldn't hurt to have your dealer look at it as well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
just had that problem with mine today. Went to switch it into 4x4 and the switch was frozen. The seal looks like it it a tatered.Took a heat gun and heated it up and got as much of the mosture out as possible.Work fine the rest of the day.I will find out tomorow.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 30 2007, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can you take the switch apart? If you can, get some light viscosity dielectric grease that will remain soft in cold temperatures and put as much in the switch as possible. Hopefully, it will keep water from entering the internals of the switch. When the weather gets hot though, the grease might run out. Check out the link below for cold weather ATV tips.

http://www.vernonmotorsports.com/index.cfm...5D061199188035A[/b]
:thumbsup: , took the switch apart ,dried it, filled it with dielectric grease NO more freezeup. NOTE- be aware of small spring under contact plate, mine poped out , after 1hr of searchin found it in my boot!!.

:super_happy: thanx Borat for the heads up :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
456 Posts
found a tare in my switch boot.Doahhh! Doubt it is a warentyable part.Does anyone know if the boot(cover)is a seperate part or is it just a one piece unit(switch and cover)?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4jfarmer @ Feb 5 2007, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
found a tare in my switch boot.Doahhh! Doubt it is a orientable part.Does anyone know if the boot(cover)is a seperate part or is it just a one piece unit(switch and cover)?[/b]
The part is probably a separate piece that slips over the switch toggle before the outer case is put on. A temporary fix would be to dry out the internals of the switch, apply dielectric grease inside then put a dab of silicone sealant around the outside of the toggle to create a new seal. Be careful not to get grease on the external parts of the switch otherwise, the silicone won't stick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts