Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just blew my second belt in 900 miles... i mostly ride in low and only high on the roads... i have the black EPI secondary and light green primary spring... im wondering if there is a spec for clutch alignment like there is in sleds? is there some washers behind the secondary that properly align the clutch to the primary? im at a loss here.. ive never ever smoked the belt or nothing,, im thinking that maybe the primary spring is reducing the belt squeeze since i only have stock weights... i have never had the primary off, only the sec.. any input?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
might want to check the clutch faces for burrs that might be adding to the problem. something definately out of adjustment, should be getting alot more miles imo. is the belt shreadding or burning spots in it?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well from the looks of it , thru the belt exhaust snorkle, the belt looks shreaded.. the first belt actually blew because the secondary clutch broke and that blew the blet.. the looks as though it twisted itself and then tore up.. im tearing into it tonight, ill take pictures.. ill be sure to look at the clutch faces.. but as far as shims on the secondary to align it to the primary, i dont remember any..

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
might want to take into consideration the brand of belt that is now blown, some of the cheap-o dayco's were known for blowing apart but then again they were only 35 or so bucks. some are running the new one hpx? or something like that instead of the stocker or bf which are both good imo and from what i have read. might just have a crap belt that blew apart with no other problems.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, thats why when the secondary took out the first one , i bought the BF750(in sig) belt for the kawasaki dealer... they were puzzled when i said it was going on a cat, but i installed it, with a slight squeak at idle... im thinking that the primary spring might be to blame for reducing belt squeeze on top end.. im at a loss though if the spring isnt to blame.. i cant be dropping $93 bucks every 6 months on a belt...

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
also i believe there is a correct direction the belt needs to go on, writing faceing twards you so you can read it when installing? can't fully remember. top end i wouldn't think would matter because the belt is allready into the secondary creating it's own tension on the clutches, well either way good luck!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes kevin, i believe your are correct the wording is able to be read when you are looking at it... also, the engine and trans are solid mounting , so the belt isnt getting out of alignment, it either is or isnt... i cant wait to tear into and do some diagnosing.. i can already see a black ring around the secondary towards the top... also, has anyone had to change primary clutch bushings? the one in the movable sheeve that slides on the fixed shaft? that could be causeing some binding...

·
Registered
782 Posts
It does not matter the direction of the belt. It is just convention to put it on so you can read it, so that it will be reinstalled that way, and not reversed and ran in the opposite direction if removed for repairs. Make sure everything is good and clean when you reinstall it, I used break cleaner to clean the sheaves really good before installing

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well tore it apart tonight and the belt what torn in half and some/most of the belt was gone,,, all the little nubs at the bottom of the cover... i did find that one of the bolts that holds the primary clutch cover had broken off and missing, and that the bushings on the primary seem to be worn... the primary has some side to side movement/twisting... so i think i will try to get the primary clutch and the belt cover warrantied... but i am super shy about how long this belt will last.. i just ordered stock tires and im installing them to reduce the rotational weight... ill follow up in a couple of weeks.. but i wonder how many other V2s have primary bushing problems???? might be something to check out next time your quad is torn apart..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive already been there, done that when the secondary blew up and caused the belt to fail... even they said that ya, it would be warranty but CAT CARE denied it... so i have been buying the BF750 belts from the local Kawi dealer... im thinking of modifing the weights or buying weights from Speedwerx for more belt squeeze..

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Apr 26 2007, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
might want to double check your belt intake and exhaust, possibly belt is getting too hot and breaking apart?[/b]
And also look for what's left of that broken bolt.

BTW, I'm jealous, you got 900 miles and you are only on your third belt. I've got less than 500 and I'm on my fifth. And I don't include that Dayco that I tried(maybe 20 miles). I have several hard rides on this bf750 belt and it seems to be holding up much better than any. It doesn't seem to slip near as much as the 650 belt. Anyway, happy trails... or mudholes.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just put my new one in and wow does it squeal, i am gonna have to reshim again very loud while in gear and just setting there.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Bluechev, you may wanna leave it there and put on say 50 miles or so and see what that does. Mine squeeled very loudly at first as well, but shortly afterwards it got a lot better. Just needed to put a couple miles on 'er.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Are you doing belt break-ins?

Do you know there are two belt lengths used on the Kawi V2 engines?

The 700+cc V2s belts are slightly longer than the belt prescribed for the 650s.

If you use the 700+ belt size on the 650, may need to recalibrate primary clutch too, to get it spot on again.

The longer belt should be able to ride slightly higher in the secondary, so it's good for the heavier Cats and easier on the belt.

Belt dimensions for stock clutching, I think this is still correct information:

650 - L x W 33.563" 1.125"

700 & larger - L x W 33.375" 1.125"

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I have always used the shorter belts on mine. For example DAYCO HPX2217 instead of the listed for Cat HPX2218. I don't know if taking out my last shim would get me into spec on the longer (2218)?? Anyone run the longer belt?

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Apr 29 2007, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have always used the shorter belts on mine. For example DAYCO HPX2217 instead of the listed for Cat HPX2218. I don't know if taking out my last shim would get me into spec on the longer (2218)?? Anyone run the longer belt?[/b]
I've also used the shorter belts I guess... The stocker is still on the ATV since day one.

I have the HPX belt, I think it was the 17. I'll know for sure after I swap belts and re-calibrate the secondary.

Stocker still feels OK, doesn't squeak at idle anymore... It might with a re-shimming. I'll measure it once I have it off.

There's over 3000 miles on the stocker, still works so I'll just keep it for snow-plowing season and only use the newer belt for trail season.

I'm thinking I should get the other size belt anyway for tuning experimentation on the HPQ clutch.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am gonna give it a try next weekend, cant hurt anything, just put in Neutral when setting there. I was gonna go back with the BF belt, but found the stocker for 59.99 thought i would give it a shot. I am VERY hard on the belt always hammering the throttle and riding wheelies lol just cant help myself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts