Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about the difference between type A and B motors that came in 72,73 Lynx 292s? I know how to tell them apart, but what is the real difference and is one more valuable?

thanks

·
Registered
624 Posts
The B engine has a bigger intake port than the A engine. I've been told that the port timing between the two is the same, but the port area between the actual port window and carburetor mounting flange is bigger on the B version. I've got several of both engines and I've been going to measure the port heights of an A and a B just to verify that they are the same, but haven't done it yet. As far as I know this is the only difference between the two. As far as value, guys that are building one lunger racers for the stock class would probably prefer the B model, as they're rated at 22hp. The A model is 20hp. But if someone is restoring a sled or if they're building a mod class racer that's going to be ported anyhow, I'd say their isn't much difference in dollar value between the two engines, IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats about right, but ive only seen the a rated at 19.5 and the b rated at 20 so im not all that sure, ive got both and i prefer the b as it has more power but like you said mod racers are ported anyway so.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It will say either 'A Series' or 'B Series' on the Kawasaki engine tag on the fan shroud.

Waldo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts