Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i am new to cats but certainly not new to the vintage sled world. I am getting a Lynx all fixed up this summer for my 9 year old son. Just wondering if someone has the jetting specs along with carb size for these little 292's. I have never done a mik conversion on a single and have heard stories about the fuel foaming in the float bowl due to the vibration, but I know guys run them in the one lung races up here with no problems. Any help on this? I was thinking about a VM-30???

Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
495 Posts
_F111: I tried a 32 on my 74 292 Lynx but could never get it to run long enough to get an accurate reading.My problem was the carb intake adapter would split or crack after a short ride.I tried original Cat,Polaris and aftermarket ones and they all did the same thing.I never tried a brace up to the carb from below to help with the vibration problem though.I did check all my motor mounts and they were all good.I now have a 36mm Mikuni diaphram butterfly carb thats works perfect.Bolts on like a Tilotson so no worries about rubber mounts.It uses the plunger type choke just like the float Mic's.I purchased it on E-Bay very cheap.It was NOS.The only # thats on it is X3.I wish I could find a few more of them but have had no luck even finding literature on these.I would think a 30mm is a bit small for the 292.Thats a pretty big piston in there!!!! :lol: Doug

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you can find a carb adapter for a '74 292 Lynx you can bolt a 38mm carb boot to it and run a 38 Mikuni. I've got one on my Lynx and it works great. I can't give you the setup off the top of my head right now. In my case I got really lucky. I bought a set of three 38mm Mikunis off E-bay, and bolted one of them up to my 292. It started on the second pull and sat there and idled perfectly! I think I ended up taking the main jet down about two sizes, but I can't remember right now what that is either. I may be getting it out to do some one lunger grass dragging. If I pull the carb apart to clean it up I'll PM you the setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can find a carb adapter for a '74 292 Lynx you can bolt a 38mm carb boot to it and run a 38 Mikuni. I've got one on my Lynx and it works great. I can't give you the setup off the top of my head right now. In my case I got really lucky. I bought a set of three 38mm Mikunis off E-bay, and bolted one of them up to my 292. It started on the second pull and sat there and idled perfectly! I think I ended up taking the main jet down about two sizes, but I can't remember right now what that is either. I may be getting it out to do some one lunger grass dragging. If I pull the carb apart to clean it up I'll PM you the setup.
If you found the set up for it I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me I bought a 292 I'm planing to put it on a go-kart but we don't have the carb or any electronics it would help if you could tell me everything I need to get it going like a wiring harness or anything

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you found the set up for it I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me I bought a 292 I'm planing to put it on a go-kart but we don't have the carb or any electronics it would help if you could tell me everything I need to get it going like a wiring harness or anything
Man, I sold that sled years ago! I couldn't even make a guess as to how it was set up. Seems like it was off a Polaris triple, but no idea what model. All I can remember is I fought with both Walbros and Tillotsons trying to make them work. I bolted the 38mm Mikuni on and the jetting was almost perfect right off the bat. A couple of main jet changes and it ran great and never gave me a problem afterward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man, I sold that sled years ago! I couldn't even make a guess as to how it was set up. Seems like it was off a Polaris triple, but no idea what model. All I can remember is I fought with both Walbros and Tillotsons trying to make them work. I bolted the 38mm Mikuni on and the jetting was almost perfect right off the bat. A couple of main jet changes and it ran great and never gave me a problem afterward.
I was woried that adding a 4stroke carb to a two stroke engine would cause oil problems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts