Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few concerns about long term effects of 28'' mudlites. My wife (god love her) went out and put new tires all around on my bike for my birthday- I am running 10x12 on front and 12x12 on the rear. I have read all the posts about belt tightness and clutch kits, but at this point I am seeing not real power loss or effects. (I am aware of a higher RPM to get moving, but beyond that nothing else) With that said I gladly welcome any additional info- Thanks-

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
just watch the throttle. Dont pin the throttle when your in a mudhole and the tires are just spinning, also try to keep the tires straight with diff lock on, if you turn them to one side it increases the liklieness of breaking axles

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm running 26" XTRs on my 500 and I can't notice any type of loss. This past weekend, I stuck it through mud, water, rocks, everything . . . I hauled ass and sloshed through mud. They did well! Just don't go nuts! OF course, thats an extra 2"!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You will notice the power loss in reverse the most.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your right about the reverse; I have to hit the overide to get out of the deep stuff. The tires definitley have made a difference. I am getting thru just about anything that i need to. Going from stock to 28" is quite a jump, but all needed. The stock tires that were on there left something to be desired. (plus couldnt get them to hold a bead) I have a buddy out on the creek with 30" on an H1 - its a beast. I definitely dont think the 500 would push those well, but I think I am fine with the 28"

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would take the time later to get a clutch kit installed. This way you will recover most of the lost power due to larger tires especially in reverse. There are many options available for clutch kits for the 500.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I also have 26" on mine and only noticed a loss of power at top end which I am not concerned with. Mine are the XTR's and not the normal Lites

1 - 7 of 7 Posts