Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this A/C brand new, I should have done more homework. :angry: The forward gears are gone and reverse barely works. Seems that high idle engagement tears out the dogs and shifter forks. Not a very good "automatic". So I'm stuck with a payment and a ATV that is worthless. I was thinking " whats to break, its an auto. The wife can ride it. These are not beginner machines, not for experts either. The beginner doesn't know high idle from shinola and the expert not happy with the slug.
I took it to the dealer, they quoted 8 to 9 hours to repair it @ $80 an hour plus parts. Pass. I am unemployed and it is Christmas. I found a shop manual and it looks like I have to drop the rear axle, drive shaft then disassemble the tranny. The mechanic told me that the input shaft bearing looks to be bad and I should replace it, collateral damage. The thing is fouling plugs and is hard to start, the starter motor is going bad. The carb spills fuel when it sits. Oh the left front rotor is warped Gosh looks like Korea builds some real POS products. The dealer says AC is the thing up North. These units can't take the Texas trails, they handle poorly, they don't like being ridden over rough trails. They roll over with the slightest bump at slow speeds. It doesn't take much to bend the bars or the brush guard.

So what I need is any short cuts to pulling this unit apart. It looks fairly straight forward. Any parts that like to fall out of the tranny when you crack open the case in the frame? Any idea on how I can fix the warped rotor? The starter :bang your head: whats the deal here? brushes and bearings or the bendix turning to scrap?

·
Registered
216 Posts
From what you describe, and from what I know on engines and drivetrains, I cannot see how you cannot proceed without opening up the case. Perhaps you will find a somewhat easy fix to the problem, but you won't know beforehand.

Whatever you find, I suggest that you weigh the costs of replacing whatever is broken vs. what it would cost to fix.

Remember that whatever you do, you do NOT want to throw good money after bad.

Decide for yourself if the total cost of getting the bike running is worth the money.

This rule applies in anything IMHO. In the past, as a Service Advisor, I saw many people dump thousands of dollars into vehicles that were not worth the money.

Remember whatever you decide that at some point, dumping more money into anything is just a lost cause. At some point you have to cut your losses.

In other words, don't be the person that pays a lawnmower shop $300 to replace a broken crankshaft in a $150 lawnmower! my2cents

·
Registered
224 Posts
OK first things first. The fouling plugs is a good indication of a high idle. This isn't the quads fault. Hard to start issues also come from spark plugs fouling. You also said the carb is overflowing. This sounds llike the float height. This can also lead to fouling plugs as too much fuel is being fed. Now when it sits you should turn off the valve to the fuel line anyways.You are correct the transmisssion can give wear from the gears grinding also from a high idle condition. Also if you throttle to it to fast when changing from reverse to high and don't let the dogs engage that also can cause it. You have to ease into the throttle until you make sure the gears have changed. You know this by the click of the gears. If you do it to fast then it is a clunk. Then you can throttle it as much as you want. If you don't know a high idle condition you should be able to tell that your transmission isn't shifting correctly from the grinding and it will also bind up not allowing you to shift. Now as far as the labor, they are ripping you off. The complete rebuild of a 250 transmission is 2 hours. For just sh*** and giggles let's say three at the most if they have never tore into one before. It sounds like there is two issues that caused your problem. One the dealer let it go with a high idle(presuming you didn't change it). The other someone with inexperience riding the quad that didn't notice any issues until it was too late. Actually these are considered very much beginner units. They are the smallest in the line-up for adults and an automatic so that the inexperienced rider does not have to shift gears while riding. If you are going to fix it yourself new plug, adjust float height, adjust idle and these should help you avoid future transmission issues. Oh and it sounds like the countershaft not the gears. On one more note just for future not saying this is how you ride or what happened. If you jump these 250's you have to let off the throttle when you land or the jolt can snap the countershaft. Hope some of this helps you for the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts