Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I have been absent from this forum for a while and was curious of your thoughts on the 2022 Alterra 600 and to see if there are any ride reviews. I have been brand loyal to Arctic Cat since 1999 having owned (5) AC atv's, my current being a 2012 Mud Pro 700 SE LTD. Here are my comments.

I am not overly impressed with the New 600 single. The engine has been re-designed which is great but the overall performance is still somewhat lacking. Arctic Cat is advertising 45 HP but where is that measured (at the rear wheel - I doubt it!). Personally I was hoping that they would take the twin powerplant out of their SxS and stick it in an ATV. That was I thought this new 600 was going to be. I dropped by my dealer and I had the opportunity to test ride the 2022 Alterra 600 and compare it head-to-head with a 2022 Polaris 570.

I am not a fan of Polaris having sworn 23 years ago to never by another one and I haven't. BUT the Polaris 570cc DOHC was an extremely impressive engine; buttery smooth almost like an electric motor but the power/torque was immediately on tap in any situation. I was super-impressed but not so-much-so as to purchase one (too many cheap build and unreliability memories). I rode along a farmer's field that had a steep slope ending in a row of trees at the bottom. I tried both quads down the hill with a sharp U-turn at the bottom and straight back up. The Polaris was so smooth and provided dependable engine-braking. I really like engine-braking and rarely touch my brakes when bush-riding my Mud Pro. Big surprise on the Alterra 600. I came down the same steep hill and let off the throttle and almost free-wheeled directly into the trees. There is no engine-braking on the Alterra 600. You may get a little if you continue to apply the throttle but back the throttle off and you need to reach for the brakes. I don't like this feeling at all. It may something to do with eliminating the one-way bearing in the old wet clutch (I believe the whole clutch assembly has been re-designed with many positive features but lack of engine-braking is a shame).

The Alterra 600 engine had more bite or snarl to it's performance. More sporty and a louder bark in the exhaust. It feels faster. The seat was quite firm and it felt like you were sitting on top of the quad. The Alterra 600 has impressive power but for trail riding I must admit that the Polaris's buttery smooth power delivery was unmatched. The Polaris was simply a joy to ride and so comfortable. I took the Polaris for (2) spins and the Alterra 600 for a shorter single ride. I lifted up the front composite rack on the Polaris that was held down by two cheap rubber straps and the whole assembly is cheaply made and easy to damage or brake (unfortunate). A firm wind would probably shear the tin metal hinges. The composite rack on the Polaris 850 twin is much stronger and better designed. The Polaris 570 is DOHC and in my opinion is the superior engine.

I don't like change for the sake of change and that is what the Alterra 600 reminds me of. The backward engine doesn't bother me much since it is a shorter exhaust away from your legs but I would guess the underside of seat would get hot. I see no real point to placing the gas tank on the bottom frame and the battery location is an absolute dumb idea. The battery is open to the elements and will be prone to mud buildup and moisture. The original battery location under the seat was easily accessible and super-protected from the elements. I always remove the OEM tools from the top of the tray and cut some of the plastic off the terminals location so I can quickly hook up a charger or get a boost. One of the dumbest things on the earlier quads was the headlight set-up with the bulbs and wiring exposed directly to mud off of the front tires. At least the new Alterra 66 addressed that with a newly designed enclosed headlights (finally - thank you AC).
Removing the electronic locker - truly a dumb idea and whoever came up with that cost saving farce should be fired. Can-am (with their Viso-lock) has finally recognized the need for a dedicated locker and now AC dumps theirs. Dumb.
In this digital age, the electronic display should be improved not revert back ten years to the old tear-drop display.
I do like the new 14 inch rims and the blue front bumper looks cool.
In my overall opinion (23 years worth), AC has "cheaped out" on the 2022 Alterra. Every year I keep hoping for something earth-shattering or at least inspiring and continue to be disappointed. Since I only use my quad in the Fall for grouse hunting I may look at the 2022 King Quad 750/500 or a Honda Rubicon 520 Foot-shift.

Take care. Please provide your ride experiences with the new Alterra 600.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I love where the Battery is now. I hate where it is under the seat, hard to remove and there is no place but where they put it now due to the much better in my opinion engine location. Love the new tank location and I doubt heat will be an issue on the seat as there is ample heat deflection tape in that location. The locker has been missing for quite some time. I have never seen anyone use it so that does not bother me one bit. I will be buying a base model 600 as soon as my dealer can get his hands on them. They are selling them faster than they are making them right now. I have ridden the 570 Polaris and pretty much hated it. Those 14 inch wheels will eat some power on the 600 Cat. and they usually take longer to break in than other brands.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,109 Posts
Hello - I have been absent from this forum for a while and was curious of your thoughts on the 2022 Alterra 600 and to see if there are any ride reviews. I have been brand loyal to Arctic Cat since 1999 having owned (5) AC atv's, my current being a 2012 Mud Pro 700 SE LTD. Here are my comments.

I am not overly impressed with the New 600 single. The engine has been re-designed which is great but the overall performance is still somewhat lacking. Arctic Cat is advertising 45 HP but where is that measured (at the rear wheel - I doubt it!). Personally I was hoping that they would take the twin powerplant out of their SxS and stick it in an ATV. That was I thought this new 600 was going to be. I dropped by my dealer and I had the opportunity to test ride the 2022 Alterra 600 and compare it head-to-head with a 2022 Polaris 570.

I am not a fan of Polaris having sworn 23 years ago to never by another one and I haven't. BUT the Polaris 570cc DOHC was an extremely impressive engine; buttery smooth almost like an electric motor but the power/torque was immediately on tap in any situation. I was super-impressed but not so-much-so as to purchase one (too many cheap build and unreliability memories). I rode along a farmer's field that had a steep slope ending in a row of trees at the bottom. I tried both quads down the hill with a sharp U-turn at the bottom and straight back up. The Polaris was so smooth and provided dependable engine-braking. I really like engine-braking and rarely touch my brakes when bush-riding my Mud Pro. Big surprise on the Alterra 600. I came down the same steep hill and let off the throttle and almost free-wheeled directly into the trees. There is no engine-braking on the Alterra 600. You may get a little if you continue to apply the throttle but back the throttle off and you need to reach for the brakes. I don't like this feeling at all. It may something to do with eliminating the one-way bearing in the old wet clutch (I believe the whole clutch assembly has been re-designed with many positive features but lack of engine-braking is a shame).

The Alterra 600 engine had more bite or snarl to it's performance. More sporty and a louder bark in the exhaust. It feels faster. The seat was quite firm and it felt like you were sitting on top of the quad. The Alterra 600 has impressive power but for trail riding I must admit that the Polaris's buttery smooth power delivery was unmatched. The Polaris was simply a joy to ride and so comfortable. I took the Polaris for (2) spins and the Alterra 600 for a shorter single ride. I lifted up the front composite rack on the Polaris that was held down by two cheap rubber straps and the whole assembly is cheaply made and easy to damage or brake (unfortunate). A firm wind would probably shear the tin metal hinges. The composite rack on the Polaris 850 twin is much stronger and better designed. The Polaris 570 is DOHC and in my opinion is the superior engine.

I don't like change for the sake of change and that is what the Alterra 600 reminds me of. The backward engine doesn't bother me much since it is a shorter exhaust away from your legs but I would guess the underside of seat would get hot. I see no real point to placing the gas tank on the bottom frame and the battery location is an absolute dumb idea. The battery is open to the elements and will be prone to mud buildup and moisture. The original battery location under the seat was easily accessible and super-protected from the elements. I always remove the OEM tools from the top of the tray and cut some of the plastic off the terminals location so I can quickly hook up a charger or get a boost. One of the dumbest things on the earlier quads was the headlight set-up with the bulbs and wiring exposed directly to mud off of the front tires. At least the new Alterra 66 addressed that with a newly designed enclosed headlights (finally - thank you AC).
Removing the electronic locker - truly a dumb idea and whoever came up with that cost saving farce should be fired. Can-am (with their Viso-lock) has finally recognized the need for a dedicated locker and now AC dumps theirs. Dumb.
In this digital age, the electronic display should be improved not revert back ten years to the old tear-drop display.
In my overall opinion (23 years worth), AC has "cheaped out" on the 2022 Alterra. Every year I keep hoping for something earth-shattering or at least inspiring and continue to be disappointed. Since I only use my quad in the Fall for grouse hunting I may look at the 2022 King Quad 750/500 or a Honda Rubicon 520 Foot-shift.

I have really enjoyed the 2016 Alterra 550 XTs you can see on my channel. I’ve also owned a lot of ACs over the years and coming from the a-body and b-body designs the Alterra was much better at handling and comfort. They have the locker which I’ve used many times. I don’t know why AC went to the trigger 4x4 thing like the Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and dropped the locker on the new models… because it worked great!
They even dropped the Havoc and a lot of other brands are coming out with UTVs now that sit between sport and utility like the Yamaha Rmax and Ranger General.
If you could find an Alterra 700 eps they are are super comfortable and handle great! Otherwise I would look at the Yamaha Grizzly 700 as it is very similar to Arctic Cat being fully independent suspension, has a locker and reliable eps, and a bulletproof engine like the 700 H1.
I’ve had the Sportsman 570 eps and like you said the engine is smooth and power is right there but Polaris clutches are not smooth enough for me! Lol!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am 50 years old, and new to Arctic Cat ownership. I've owned all the Japanese brands....three wheelers and 4 wheelers. My latest purchase is the Alterra 600 xt. I was pleasantly surprised with the smooth engine, great power steering and ease of maintenance. My only two dislikes are the freewheeling on downhills, and the rear suspension is harsh. The factory preload setting on the rear springs is already at its softest setting and cannot be set any softer. The freewheeling i can accept, but the rear shocks are not good.....hope aftermarket becomes available soon. If anyone else agrees or has found a solution please respond. I do like the cat, and would definitely buy another one.

·
Administrator
40,392 Posts

Reactions: ArcticFrost

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am 50 years old, and new to Arctic Cat ownership. I've owned all the Japanese brands....three wheelers and 4 wheelers. My latest purchase is the Alterra 600 xt. I was pleasantly surprised with the smooth engine, great power steering and ease of maintenance. My only two dislikes are the freewheeling on downhills, and the rear suspension is harsh. The factory preload setting on the rear springs is already at its softest setting and cannot be set any softer. The freewheeling i can accept, but the rear shocks are not good.....hope aftermarket becomes available soon. If anyone else agrees or has found a solution please respond. I do like the cat, and would definitely buy another one.
If you don’t do fast trail riding or tow heavy loads you could pull the rear sway bar out

I have two 550 Alterras and one I pulled the sway bar, the other I left it in. It is a smoother ride and softer on the one without it.
Or get Elka suspension, it’s a night and day difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2022 Alterra doesn't have a sway bar. Also, the shocks are mounted to the upper A-arm......they are specific to the 2022 Alterra 600

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
I loved my 15 while i had it but unfortunately over the years of watching cat they are no longer a company i would trust.. They forced dealers to sit on old inventory until just before they sold some dealers were sitting on new inventory that was 10 years old. They are going backwards in their tech and features. They ae starting to remind me of honda that has really done nothing over the years and just rely on their name. They lost a year of snow machine sales in Canada due to copywrite.. Dealers are starting to become far and few between in my area the cat dealers are a multi dealer and barley do anything with cat anymore. I think cat needs to sit down and bring back all their old machines and gain some footing in the market again... I may have purchased another cat if it was not for my local dealer, my above comments, and the fact they have nothing in the higher CC machines. I ended up getting a Can am 850 and do not regret it but i do miss my cat as it was a great machine i rode it hard and it did not start failing me until i had about 14000km on it. Parts took forever to get since i refused to deal with the local dealer and missed a whole summer of riding due to that...

·
Registered
2 Posts

My buddy has 3 Polaris ATV's: One 2017 450, one 2018 570 and a brand new 570. He bought the 450 new as well as the 2021. The 450 is a lemon. Numerous electrical issues and water is constantly getting into the clutch no matter how many times the gasket is replaced. The 2018 works fine. The new one has a rubber hose clutch vent that faces backwards and water gets into the clutch constantly with this new design as well. It is a stupid design. He took the flexible tube and jammed it up under the seat so water wouldn't get in. We are not fjording lakes, we just hit a few puddles and that all it takes. And don't get me started on idiotic battery placement on those Polaris atv's... I will say that the New Polaris 570 Sportsman is a very good looking rig. And the engine is strong. I own a 2015 XR 700 XT and it works great in water. All that atv has done since day 1 is work great. I have never had a problem with it. When I bought the machine I was warned by everyone not to buy it. Most of my friends ride Polaris, Can Am and Yamaha. I have had pretty good luck with Cat sleds, I wondered how I could have problems with their atv's? As far as the 2022 Alterra 600 goes I haven't ridden one yet but I not having a front diff lock wouldn't bother me, I have never used the one on my current XR. But Cat should offer one for those that want them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts