Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about AC's line up for 2022? Think I'll be in the market for new sleds next year and I want a 4 stroke... but not necessarily spend $18,000 on the Thundercat. I don't need speed (I'm old), but I like how they drive.
ATAK on the the Riot X and Power Steering on Thundercat. This is what was presented to the dealers today....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ATAK on the the Riot X and Power Steering on Thundercat. This is what was presented to the dealers today....
Thanks, any idea if\when they'll have other updates? Since there isn't any mention on their site of the 2022 lineup, maybe they are going to announce theirs alongside Yamaha's release?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Awesome, thanks ZR6000. I was on their site, but didn't notice that link. Am signed up now.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Looks like the 7000 is dead. So next sled I buy will be a Viper, or God forbid, a Doo. My Doo buddies would roast the s*$% out of me after all these years

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
AC created the 4-Stroke market and now seems to have turned it's back on those of us that bought in.

I keep wondering if I would be happy with a 600. Not much in the way of Yamaha dealers around here, I just don't know if I could go Doo even though they have the best selection of engines IMHO.

K.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I too feel that AC has turned its back on us that bought in for a number of reasons For me, I want a quiet sled like the T660 Turbo, would buy one in a heartbeat, but I don't make a market big enough for the AC of today. LOL

AC no longer has the vision of the likes of Chris Twomey who may have saved Yellowstone Park from being closed to any and all snowmobiles by asking AC technical folks to come up with a 4 stroke snowmobile, and then gave the first 4 strokes sleds to park rangers. The following years and further development of 4 stroke snowmobiles made the 4 stroke sled market. Unfortunately the market may not have been big enough to be sustained by a large corp like Textron that might have a little shorter vision.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I agree with everything you said. The old AC was small enough to take calculated risks. I suspect Textron want's slam dunks now if it's going to invest any time/money. The thing that drives me nuts is AC is building selds with the engine I would want, they just leave the factor with the wrong stickers on them. It doesn't seem like it would cost them much to add a ZR 7000 back to the line up, especially with their build to order model.

I'm torn, I bleed green. My family has been on nothing but cats since 1970 (OK, two exceptions, one of which was a year you couldn't by a Cat). That being said there's nothing in the AC lineup that does anything for me. Zero Touring machines, even their offerings in the 600 Trail range is pretty sparse.

Yamaha makes the most palatable machine I guess with their Viper. Doo's ACE engines are awesome though, a friend has a 900 and loves it. Polaris has a ton of models but no engines that really do much for me.

I don't know, I wasn't buying a new machine this year anyway. The TZ1 still gets the job done really well, my T660s have been very good to me though they do feel old now. The two non-turbos I have in my fleet are perfect for my kids.

K

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I'll buy your 660's.........I want to own 20 of them just so I can keep my 2 running forever.;)

Had to wash two after we got home from a trip today so they all came out for a quick bath. ;-) There's a 660 Bearcat on the premises too thought it's not "mine" (club machine, I drove it home from the dealer in '03 and it's stayed with us since).

I had every intention of "Snow Checking" a F6 Nightfire in the spring of '03, went to the AC show (remember when they used to do that?) and there sat a T660 Turbo Trail. I have very little doubt if I had bought that F6 it would have moved on a few years later for something newer. The old Turbo will probably stay here forever now, I like it that much. The TZ1 and the '05 Touring (second from the left) are the primaries now as I have two 10 year olds. The '02 Trail is my Mother's though my son has now laid claim to it. First modern production 4-Stroke and first production turboed snowmobile, kind of cool.

K

·
Registered
109 Posts
I remember the first time I saw a 660 (don't remember turbo or not) at the dealer and I was blown away at how huge and heavy I perceived it to be. Very complicated looking too. I just shook my head and walked away. By today's standards they now look absolutely normally sized. Things just keep getting bigger. Also have a Kawasaki 750 turbo and owned a turbocharged Piper plane for a long time. Also a Fiat turbo spider.......back in the day. You can't have a 4 stroke without a turbo IMO.......nothing there.....

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Back in late 2005 I had every intention of buying a new Pantera. Not realizing Cat discontinued it, my next choice in that sled configuration was the T660. Now my choice was black or silver and turbo or non turbo. Ended up with a black turbo touring. I really love that sled and I am hard pressed to even sell it. My boys learned to ride a sled on that one. Clutching was so smooth for them. I was relegated to my 93 Pantera.
The T660 has to last me as Cat doesn’t have a sled that I like anymore.

Reactions: ickyoldman

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have 2 600's currently. Use so little oil that it would cover you extra expense. Super crisp, good on fuel and bullet proof. Would own nothing else.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Back in late 2005 I had every intention of buying a new Pantera. Not realizing Cat discontinued it, my next choice in that sled configuration was the T660. Now my choice was black or silver and turbo or non turbo. Ended up with a black turbo touring. I really love that sled and I am hard pressed to even sell it. My boys learned to ride a sled on that one. Clutching was so smooth for them. I was relegated to my 93 Pantera.
The T660 has to last me as Cat doesn’t have a sled that I like anymore.
Not sure how they are north of the boarder but down here they're old enough to be not all that valuable (well, this year they saw a bump but I don't expect that to last). The Touring's hold their value a bit better but the last two years I saw Turbo Trails like mine sit at $1500 all winter. It's worth more to me than that not even factoring in any sentimental nonsense. :)

I have 2 600's currently. Use so little oil that it would cover you extra expense. Super crisp, good on fuel and bullet proof. Would own nothing else.
Listening to new 2-Stokes all weekend made me wonder if I could go back. For me it was the smell more than anything. My eyes used to burn after a day on the trails. I also like how they've mellowed the sound (geeze, I'm becoming an old man). I think if I was in the market for new I would give it consideration, I would prefer a 7000 though.

K

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Not sure how they are north of the boarder but down here they're old enough to be not all that valuable (well, this year they saw a bump but I don't expect that to last). The Touring's hold their value a bit better but the last two years I saw Turbo Trails like mine sit at $1500 all winter. It's worth more to me than that not even factoring in any sentimental nonsense. :)
About a month ago there was a 2006 T660 Turbo Touring exactly like mine for sale. Excellent shape and miles was reasonable. They wanted 7500 CDN which is just under 6000 USD. Cheap compared to what guys were getting for their early 2000's 2 up sleds. One guy on the fishing forum I belong to had to pay 5k for a 99 polaris 2 up. It was set up as an ice fishing sled but, 5k!!!!!!

·
Registered
921 Posts

Listening to new 2-Stokes all weekend made me wonder if I could go back. For me it was the smell more than anything. My eyes used to burn after a day on the trails. I also like how they've mellowed the sound (geeze, I'm becoming an old man). I think if I was in the market for new I would give it consideration, I would prefer a 7000 though.

K
Once warmed up, there is no smoke, smell.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ickyoldman- I am like you---I now have three T660 all touring, 2 turbos, 1 non turbo. If another one comes on the market and I see it as a reasonable deal, either I will buy it or I have a brother who has 2 T660's and also looking. My son might also be looking--- now has a family and a one up 2stroke is not so friendly for 4 and 1 year old.. We are shopping for the same machines LOL.
I too worry about parts to keep my favorite machines running. (a 07 T660 turbo touring, just over 1K miles was on market listed for $6995 at a used sled dealer- lasted a day, ) I was tempted but that was overpriced, at least for me.

Got to admit, the T660 still has quite following. enjoy reading about others who like the machine, and info that is shared on this site!!

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Last year I could get a Touring Turbo for $2000 USD all day long. Heck I paid $7,500 for my '04 Trail BRAND NEW (before taxes and studding, cover etc), I seem to recall the only "Trail" machine that cost more that year was the ZR 900. I guess I was Mr. Money bags that year. :)

People are nuts. Then again a ZR 6000 starts at $12,000 USD so....

K

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I like my ZRT alot too but it sits down low like them 660's, my knees wouldn't take that kind of ride for the miles we bomb out anymore. I have grown to like my procross a great deal for the rider position.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I like my ZRT alot too but it sits down low like them 660's, my knees wouldn't take that kind of ride for the miles we bomb out anymore. I have grown to like my procross a great deal for the rider position.
No doubt about it. My TZ1 is WAY more comfortable than the old ZR chassis machines. That's what I meant when I said it felt "old". I did put risers on my Turbo which helped a lot, it's still not "rider forward" though.

I think most of us T660 nuts like the engines more than anything.

K

21 - 40 of 82 Posts