Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened on the 23rd of January. Cruising at 50mph and it just died. Coasted to a stop. Engine would not turn over with pull or ES. Towed about 10 miles. Waited for an hour for my friends to come back with the trailer. Hand strapped it on to my trailer, that took about an hour. Dropped it off at the dealer. PTO side cylinder and piston totaled. Cat came back and said they are having a rash of faulty injectors. Dealer replaced everything on the PTO side but Cat refused to change out the MAG side injector, which seams very stupid. Rode the sled 3 hours before this happened. There were not any signs. No hesitation. No bogging. No nothing. Just coasted to a stop. Got it back this past Friday. I have put 70 miles on it since I got it back. No issues so far and God willing it stays that way. Been riding cat for 40 years and I'm not gonna change now. Needless to say I was extremely shocked and disappointed when it happened. It is only my second new sled from Cat, my first being an '88 ElTigre' 6000. My dealer was pretty quick on the turn around and I really appreciate that. Many comments on my Youtube video of others with the same issue.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks!! Hope its fixed and gives you thousands of trouble free miles
Thanks. It is fixed and running great.🙂

·
Registered
2021 ZR8000 137 Limited ATAC
15 Posts
I have about 250 or so miles on my '21 and with all these reports I'm worried......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Almost exact same thing happened to my 21 Limited except I had almost 1100 miles on it. Cruising 40 to 50 mph. Engine running cool and just coasted to a stop. Goes in Monday so we shall see.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost exact same thing happened to my 21 Limited except I had almost 1100 miles on it. Cruising 40 to 50 mph. Engine running cool and just coasted to a stop. Goes in Monday so we shall see.
Sorry man. Sucks!

·
Registered
2021 ZR8000 137 Limited ATAC
15 Posts
yikes!!! Well I suppose if it happens to mine I’ll have it warrantied and a for sale sign stuck to the front of it..... it is just about spring order time anyways......

·
Registered
138 Posts
yikes!!! Well I suppose if it happens to mine I’ll have it warrantied and a for sale sign stuck to the front of it..... it is just about spring order time anyways......
I just don’t understand WHY these injectors are not TESTED by the manufacturer, BEFORE A/C purchases them! What?the cost would be how much more? Two measly bucks for testing, guess A/C would rather spend thousands in replacing just one power plant; times how many engine failures this year alone. It doesn’t make sense NOT to test this critical part in the system! Just one mans option.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don’t understand WHY these injectors are not TESTED by the manufacturer, BEFORE A/C purchases them! What?the cost would be how much more? Two measly bucks for testing, guess A/C would rather spend thousands in replacing just one power plant; times how many engine failures this year alone. It doesn’t make sense NOT to test this critical part in the system! Just one mans option.
I'm hoping Bosch comes out with them so I can take the **** ones out, set them one fire and smash the **** out of them with sledge hammer.

Reactions: William Stern Jr.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm hoping Bosch comes out with them so I can take the ** ones out, set them one fire and smash the ** out of them with sledge hammer.
Yah, but the ones in the sleds right now are so airodinamic and streamlined, they fly so well into the trash bin! Anyone know of a premium, high quality injector for the snowmobile industry? Bosch is a good quality, but do they make them for snowmobiles, does Rotaxi put them on their motors?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yah, but the ones in the sleds right now are so airodinamic and streamlined, they fly so well into the trash bin! Anyone know of a premium, high quality injector for the snowmobile industry? Bosch is a good quality, but do they make them for snowmobiles, does Rotaxi put them on their motors?
Meant aerodynamic, dan’g phone! Didn’t proofread before posting reply! 😳

·
Registered
35 Posts
Happened on the 23rd of January. Cruising at 50mph and it just died. Coasted to a stop. Engine would not turn over with pull or ES. Towed about 10 miles. Waited for an hour for my friends to come back with the trailer. Hand strapped it on to my trailer, that took about an hour. Dropped it off at the dealer. PTO side cylinder and piston totaled. Cat came back and said they are having a rash of faulty injectors. Dealer replaced everything on the PTO side but Cat refused to change out the MAG side injector, which seams very stupid. Rode the sled 3 hours before this happened. There were not any signs. No hesitation. No bogging. No nothing. Just coasted to a stop. Got it back this past Friday. I have put 70 miles on it since I got it back. No issues so far and God willing it stays that way. Been riding cat for 40 years and I'm not gonna change now. Needless to say I was extremely shocked and disappointed when it happened. It is only my second new sled from Cat, my first being an '88 ElTigre' 6000. My dealer was pretty quick on the turn around and I really appreciate that. Many comments on my Youtube video of others with the same issue.

I heard it was just the riot 800's that were going bad, dealer told me to stay away from the 800 for this reason. he had a 2019,2020 and 2021 in shop all with injector problems and blow engines

·
Registered
160 Posts

Any explanation from cat about not replacing the injector? Have they been singled out as a problem in all sleds? Just asking hope u get back riding, expensive sled seems cheap not to replace an injector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I heard it was just the riot 800's that were going bad, dealer told me to stay away from the 800 for this reason. he had a 2019,2020 and 2021 in shop all with injector problems and blow engines
Not just Riots - it's an engine problem.

Not being an engineer or much of an engine guy at all, I'd like to speculate: Universal problems with the 800 C-Tech2 injectors, which may or may not involve both cylinder designs, are not the same as the current 2021-only issue that some Riot, ZR and Blast owners describe.

That's my opinion, and it's based on this observation: It seems like all OEM's have had problems with injectors, and the problems vary. Maybe all of the Cat 800's source injectors from the same supplier, and maybe that's a problem. Maybe, just speculation, their tolerances aren't what they should be and that ultimately resulted in the more widespread 2021 injector issue.

I would say, based on the frequency of reports online, if I were Cat I'd be calling Bosch to switch suppliers.

We probably wouldn't be talking about this at all if Cat went a little richer in their fuel mapping, but they can't do that because of EPA certification.

This is actually nothing new. The original carbed Polaris 800 Liberty was a ticking time bomb because of main bearing issues. When Polaris put EFI on that motor, they had problems with that, as well. We're looking at a motor with a reputation that Polaris managed to squeeze a couple of decades out of. Ultimately, the only way to truly resolve those problems was to move to a completely different engine design. Ski Doo has also had their share of issues. A quick Google search netted me a lifetime supply of articles and discussion board posts on 800cc reliability issues from Polaris and Ski Doo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any explanation from cat about not replacing the injector? Have they been singled out as a problem in all sleds? Just asking hope u get back riding, expensive sled seems cheap not to replace an injector.
He told me the 2019 was there for it's third set of injectors, 2020 blew both pistons at the same time and 2021 was three weeks old blew one side.

·
Super Moderator
9,026 Posts
Yeah, the 2019 Riots were terrible. Every single one has been pulled from the market. :whistle:

It would help to stick with facts and potential prevention.
It's not even clear if they are over or under fueling. The random terms like blew both pistons etc. could mean a number of different failures. Melted down or lean burn down makes sense and helps give some direction.
I'm wondering if anyone knows a simple test for injectors? Maybe a simple ohm reading across the leads? I have no clue what the spec should be on these.

It would make sense to have it be a random injector issue. Have a 20 with 4,653 miles and a 21 with a little over 2,170 miles. Old lady miles too. (114.4 and 53.8 hours respectfully) ;) Do the math and you'll get the joke. Anyhow, a potentially bad production run injector should have shown up by now on those sleds. The things have injected a roughly combined total of over 700 gallons. I'd have more concerns over those wearing out from this point forward.

@2002ZR800CCE thanks for posting. Facts can lead to solutions.

Reactions: ponycarfan

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yeah, the 2019 Riots were terrible. Every single one has been pulled from the market. :whistle:

It would help to stick with facts and potential prevention.
It's not even clear if they are over or under fueling. The random terms like blew both pistons etc. could mean a number of different failures. Melted down or lean burn down makes sense and helps give some direction.
I'm wondering if anyone knows a simple test for injectors? Maybe a simple ohm reading across the leads? I have no clue what the spec should be on these.

It would make sense to have it be a random injector issue. Have a 20 with 4,653 miles and a 21 with a little over 2,170 miles. Old lady miles too. (114.4 and 53.8 hours respectfully) ;) Do the math and you'll get the joke. Anyhow, a potentially bad production run injector should have shown up by now on those sleds. The things have injected a roughly combined total of over 700 gallons. I'd have more concerns over those wearing out from this point forward.

@2002ZR800CCE thanks for posting. Facts can lead to solutions.
They took my 2019 from me and would not give my money back, them Bastards! Ha ha!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not just Riots - it's an engine problem.

Not being an engineer or much of an engine guy at all, I'd like to speculate: Universal problems with the 800 C-Tech2 injectors, which may or may not involve both cylinder designs, are not the same as the current 2021-only issue that some Riot, ZR and Blast owners describe.

That's my opinion, and it's based on this observation: It seems like all OEM's have had problems with injectors, and the problems vary. Maybe all of the Cat 800's source injectors from the same supplier, and maybe that's a problem. Maybe, just speculation, their tolerances aren't what they should be and that ultimately resulted in the more widespread 2021 injector issue.

I would say, based on the frequency of reports online, if I were Cat I'd be calling Bosch to switch suppliers.

We probably wouldn't be talking about this at all if Cat went a little richer in their fuel mapping, but they can't do that because of EPA certification.

This is actually nothing new. The original carbed Polaris 800 Liberty was a ticking time bomb because of main bearing issues. When Polaris put EFI on that motor, they had problems with that, as well. We're looking at a motor with a reputation that Polaris managed to squeeze a couple of decades out of. Ultimately, the only way to truly resolve those problems was to move to a completely different engine design. Ski Doo has also had their share of issues. A quick Google search netted me a lifetime supply of articles and discussion board posts on 800cc reliability issues from Polaris and Ski Doo.
In my area polaris 850 liberty's have been blowing up quite often, 4 in my area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cat does a lot of stupid things! Like don't put scratchers on a 14,000.00 sled! Come on cheap river falls, take more vitamins!!:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts