Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner of a 2021 ZR8000 RR

First Weekend threw Code P1324 (Knock Sensor?) A phone call to the dealer = dealer said bad gas
Second Weekend stumble, bog, hitting rev limiter when I would stab it after cruising with the family for a few miles? very annoying
Third weekend the same as the second- Not loving this sled
Fourth weekend riding with buddies at a much faster pace- Ran hot and constantly was looking at a blinking light looking for deeper snow off of hard packed trails on top of the Stumble, bog or rev limiter? Riding with a 2020 ZR8000 that ran 12-15 degrees cooler all day and he burned less fuel.

Starting to hate this sled

850 Miles so far and going to drop it off at the dealer today-

Anybody else having these issues? I have heard of the bog stumble but it feels more serious to me like the ECU is holding it back at times. Other times it runs great but never for a full ride.

·
Registered
2021 ZR 8000 Ltd, ATAC, Storm 150
138 Posts
I'm now around 700+ miles on my 21 ZR 8000 Ltd. I have not experienced the codes or overheating. I was just up north last week with -20s in morning with highs in -5° range with trails hard packed tight. Forgot to drop ice scratchers on 1st run and saw sled temp get to 150s. (If you don't have scratchers you will be sitting with every sled manufacturer 2 stroke there is along side of trail.) Dropped scratchers and temp dropped approximately 30°. Ran for 3 days with scratchers down and did not get above 120° much. Stumble/rumble/bog (strumbog) is more annoying than anything. Just had an epic 107 mile run yesterday on groomed trails in open fields. Fast ride, really had fun and sled was never really near the "strumbog" rpm range. Sled performed amazing and engine was crisp and fast. Hope you figure it out, this sled is a beast that handles awesome. Perhaps have dealer look into injectors. Have read a few with those issues? Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few times mine would hit about 73-79 Mph, not sure exactly what range RPM that is, and it will just flatten out (bog, Rev limit?) Let off for a second and it would run right past that area. Clutching seems okay with top RPM at 8200. I will try the scratchers, hard to believe they make that much of a difference. I have a 2014 Eltigre 6000 in the trailer that doesn't have the overheating issue near as bad as the new 8000. I have been on a 17' 7000 Limited for the last three years but have been missing the mid-range of the 800 two stroke. So far I am just not loving it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My wife's sled is the ZR 7000. Been a great sled too. There shouldn't be any issues at those speeds/RPMs Johnson260. "Strumbog" is between 4300 and 5200 ish RPMs. May really want to inquire with dealer about injectors. No experience here but have read about it on 21s. As far as scratchers go, huge difference. Just came from a 2016 ZR 6000 Ltd which ran around 20° cooler than the 21 ZR 8000. Both sleds drop approx 30° when scratchers are put down. Had Straightline Performance scratchers on the 6000. Currently running Duraflex on the 8000. Prefer the Duraflex at this point. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 21 8000 Limited did the cut out as you describe as rev limiter a few times. Comes back strong and seemed to quit doing it. Wasn't very often and I figured maybe warm/hot? Computer shut it down for a sec? The stumble I believe is a program issue at certain RPM's. Injectors? 21 Motors are seizing at a lower RPM including mine at 1100 miles. I do hope they figure it out and fix it right

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer said they would re-flash the ECU to the injectors. Apparently, they have seen a few and the re-flash cleans most of the issues up. Hopefully this will do the trick and new injectors are not needed as there are none available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up a set of ice scratchers when I dropped it off. Hopefully we get some northern Mi. snow very soon to keep the season going.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is this a new flash out there from Cat to fix the "strumbog"?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this a new flash out there from Cat to fix the "strumbog"?
[/QUOTE]

I do not believe so, I believe its the original factory flash. Dealer said they had to get the injector tag numbers off of it to re-flash it cleaned 90 percent of it up on his personal Riot. He did mention that if AC wants to change the tune they have to get it approved buy the EPA.

I was shocked that my dealer did mention the Precision Tune flash as he is a big believer in stock. Maybe, after warranty period I will think about the aftermarket tune for next season. That will give AC a chance to work the bugs out of the new 900? (wishful thinking)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably need to scan through the Riot threads to see what others are reporting. Maybe, moderators need to make a Ctec 800 thread instead of by chassis.

Thanks for the reply's so far I will ask better questions when I pick it up and report back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
When I bought my sled a few weeks ago my dealer said the same thing. In fact recommended to get the Precision tune as soon as I broke it in. He also has a 2021 ZR 8000 and said the tune was the best accessory he purchased.

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
I probably need to scan through the Riot threads to see what others are reporting. Maybe, moderators need to make a Ctec 800 thread instead of by chassis.

Thanks for the reply's so far I will ask better questions when I pick it up and report back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
500 Plus a clutch kit its only money.......I hope the re-flash just works

Thanks for pointing out the C-Tec only sub.....I missed it

·
Registered
138 Posts
I asked my dealer about having to do the clutch kit after I had the Precision flash. I was told if I wanted the full affect out of the flash to change weights on clutch to bring RPM down slightly to get full HP gain out of the flash. But, if all I was after was a crisper, smooth throttle response, it worked on his. I have read from others it may not work on all engine's but have not found any posts from those that had it done saying it didn't work either. Again this is what I was told as I don't know much about flashes myself, just sharing the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I asked my dealer about having to do the clutch kit after I had the Precision flash. I was told if I wanted the full affect out of the flash to change weights on clutch to bring RPM down slightly to get full HP gain out of the flash. But, if all I was after was a crisper, smooth throttle response, it worked on his. I have read from others it may not work on all engine's but have not found any posts from those that had it done saying it didn't work either. Again this is what I was told as I don't know much about flashes myself, just sharing the info.
Just got mine back from the dealer. They put a new engine in it. First one smoked a piston and other internal damage. Started out similarly running awesome then the knock sensor code on first ride . 2nd ride ended up towing it home. 106 miles. Dealer had originally told me probably bad gas. Ended up being bad injector. Supposedly the late build 21's have a lean spot in the mapping also. He had 3 at his dealership needing new motors. Mine is a 21 Riot X

·
Registered
212 Posts
A few times mine would hit about 73-79 Mph, not sure exactly what range RPM that is, and it will just flatten out (bog, Rev limit?) Let off for a second and it would run right past that area. Clutching seems okay with top RPM at 8200. I will try the scratchers, hard to believe they make that much of a difference. I have a 2014 Eltigre 6000 in the trailer that doesn't have the overheating issue near as bad as the new 8000. I have been on a 17' 7000 Limited for the last three years but have been missing the mid-range of the 800 two stroke. So far I am just not loving it.
Scratchers do make a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That totally sucks....I am a long time Cat rider and have had good luck with them for the most part.

1993 700 EFI seized with 1.4 miles on the clock. Been a happy customer since then until this one. Problems I have just take the fun out of the ride.

My theory is that Cat has the 800 tuned close to a race motor to compete with the 850 sleds. More problems showing up on the longer tracked Riots as it takes a little more HP. In my case I am 6'8" and 330 with gear on.

We have to run the fuel available to us can't always run race gas and not do we want to. I mention it because I was told bad gas too at first.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer. They put a new engine in it. First one smoked a piston and other internal damage. Started out similarly running awesome then the knock sensor code on first ride . 2nd ride ended up towing it home. 106 miles. Dealer had originally told me probably bad gas. Ended up being bad injector. Supposedly the late build 21's have a lean spot in the mapping also. He had 3 at his dealership needing new motors. Mine is a 21 Riot X
Thx for the update. Is there any way to tell if injectors are bad? Seems like it might be cheaper for cat to do a recall on injectors rather than smoke motors and replace everything?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts