Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

looking for some real world feedback on this machine. Have always been a polaris guy but with not being able to find what i want and i have an opportunity to get one of these im looking for info on it. i havent had much luck finding any information on these machines and to be honest dont see them around here very often.

Reliability of the 700 motor? any issues with the atvs in general? any things that "need" to be done right away to prevent long term issues? Hows the suspension for long trail rides? How does it start in the winter (will be used for hunting/ice fishing/blading)? pros and con?

I currently have a 2011 sportsman 500 and its time to upgrade to something with EPS and efi. I have a polaris 850 picked out but the price is $12k and the price of this arctic cat is $9250 so thats what is making it more appealing also.

thanks for any help/info you guys might be able to offer.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
700 engine has proven to be bulletproof.

Reactions: xc_rider08

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
It’s no powerhouse, it would not touch an 850

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hey all,

looking for some real world feedback on this machine. Have always been a polaris guy but with not being able to find what i want and i have an opportunity to get one of these im looking for info on it. i havent had much luck finding any information on these machines and to be honest dont see them around here very often.

Reliability of the 700 motor? any issues with the atvs in general? any things that "need" to be done right away to prevent long term issues? Hows the suspension for long trail rides? How does it start in the winter (will be used for hunting/ice fishing/blading)? pros and con?

I currently have a 2011 sportsman 500 and its time to upgrade to something with EPS and efi. I have a polaris 850 picked out but the price is $12k and the price of this arctic cat is $9250 so thats what is making it more appealing also.

thanks for any help/info you guys might be able to offer.
The ride and handling is great with the Alterra. Plenty fast enough for most people but most would be fine on a 450 to be honest. Bullet proof motors.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,004 Posts
The 700 is a reliable machine. The Alterras have improved handling/rider comfort over the older style imo. I use mine almost every day and they start right up in cold weather.
If you don’t ride it every week it’s a good idea to keep it on a battery maintainer.
Most noticeable difference to me is the clutching, it’s smooth where the Polaris is jerky on take off.

The first thing I would check is the intake boot.

Next upgrade the suspension bushings.

You may notice the rear sway bar get squeaky after it gets dirty. That’s caused by dirt getting in the sway bar bushings. I removed mine for more articulation or you can keep them greased.
I have a bunch of videos on maintaining my Alterras that I hope help folks out with theirs.
There’s also a lot a info on the 700 here on the forums.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Some thoughts on my 2020 Alterra 700 TRV after 2500 miles:
Decent reliability and no frills- very functional. Service is VERY easy. That is huge compared to my Can-Am's.
The 700 is rock solid, and enough HP for most people. Yeah, it's not a speed demon, but just fine for 90% of the people.
Parts can be a challenge at times.
Handling is decent even in stutter bumps. Otherwise, I feel that the ride is subpar.
The gauge is pretty basic- but like everything else it is very functional.
The price point is great compared to comparable Can-Am's.

Summary- The Alterra is decent. It really doesn't excel at anything, but it also has very few weaknesses. It meets my needs for trail riding, and for trail utility work. I will likely keep it for 4 more seasons. With that said, I enjoyed my Can-Am's and Kawasaki Brutes a bit more. I like the Alterra better than my Hondas or previous Cats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your responses- ill check out your videos arcticfrost thanks!

Some thoughts on my 2020 Alterra 700 TRV after 2500 miles:
Decent reliability and no frills- very functional. Service is VERY easy. That is huge compared to my Can-Am's.
The 700 is rock solid, and enough HP for most people. Yeah, it's not a speed demon, but just fine for 90% of the people.
Parts can be a challenge at times.
Handling is decent even in stutter bumps. Otherwise, I feel that the ride is subpar.
The gauge is pretty basic- but like everything else it is very functional.
The price point is great compared to comparable Can-Am's.

Summary- The Alterra is decent. It really doesn't excel at anything, but it also has very few weaknesses. It meets my needs for trail riding, and for trail utility work. I will likely keep it for 4 more seasons. With that said, I enjoyed my Can-Am's and Kawasaki Brutes a bit more. I like the Alterra better than my Hondas or previous Cats.
thanks for your input! this is exactly what i was looking for. How fast does it go? Im not a speed demon and going fast doesnt thrill me, wrecked one to man times on a 4wheeler and dont need that ever again. lol Some of the roads in the hills are 55mph speed limits. now im not on them much but the last thing i want to do is be the guy holding up the show. my current polaris struggles to get to 55 and than it will have a terrible death wobble (bigger mud tires dont help).

when you change in 4 years, would u buy another cat or are u going back to can am/kawasaki?

for me this machine will more than likely be around for a long time which is why im looking at brand new vs used. my current machine i have had for 7 years averaging about 200 miles a year mostly being trail riding miles. the rest are ice fishing and blading the road in the winter.

than again im also tossing around the idea and maybe i should go look at a sxs like the rzr or something along those lines. too dang many options now days and they are all expensive. ha

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
You should also look at the Alterra TRV. I think the longer WB and 2up seating is nice. I have the previous model 700 , not Alterra, but it's been very reliable and I love the EPS. 3,000 miles and other than batteries, it's been great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i went and test drove one today. It wasnt the SE model as this dealer in town didnt have one one and all they had was the 700 eps (the se is located at a different dealership a couple hours from here). My first impressions were, clean looking, lots of ground clearance even with the factory tires, wow for room to do maintenance and such, winch mounting plate already installed. Dealer let me take it for a test drive, nothing crazy or anything as he is in the middle of town. lol

Pros:
-smooth acceleration/clutching- I couldnt believe how smooth the clutching was. No sudden jerks when taking off, power was right there at the crack of the throttle at any given time
-engine breaking- caught me off guard and i can see a real benefit to it when descending down a hill (current one doesnt have that)
-quite when running
-lots of space and room to work on the machine
-2" receiver hitch- now that its not completely necessary but at least i dont have to have a special one like i do for my current polaris
-power steering- i have been riding too long with out it.
-front toe hooks/tie down location

Cons:
  • the gauge cluster- seems like it hasnt updated and is stuck in the stone ages
  • the fuel tank filling location- im afraid that will be in the way for my wife riding passenger and will rub the backside of her leg (will have to have her with to try and verify that)
  • No Storage boxes- this is kind of a big one for me- there is nothing for storing anything other than the back box between the tail lights and the dealer didnt talk very highly of it. he said he wouldnt trust it and by the looks of the latching mechanism i wouldnt either. i do carry a few things on my current polaris all the time that at least i dont have to my extra stroage bags always installed on the machine

Undecided:
- mechanical 4 wheel drive- i have never seen anything like this. I feel like its a stone age product that might need consistent adjusting of the cable to get to lock in and out- but the other side of is there is nothign electrical about it and if it dont want to go in its gonna be more than likely and adjustment issue which is easy to fix
-seat- i didnt get to sit on it too long or go very for a ride, but the seat didnt feel as plush as my older Polaris one. in fact when i was sitting on the wheeler i felt high off the ground and narrower than my current set up.

all in all, i was rather impressed with the machine for never riding or seeing a newer cat in person. For the price point i didnt think was too bad for what your getting- this one was by no means a steal at $10,360 OTD. im undecided with what im going to do yet. i do want to go check out a new polaris also and will compare them side by side. i also want to take my wife with for the polaris and when we come back to look at the arctic cat again as her comfortability is important for all day rides.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
Get a trv you will love it and so will she. In some states it is illegal to have a passenger unless it is a dedicated two up machine. Way better ride, more stable in hill climbs and way more comfort for the passenger. You will never go back.
I installed elka shocks on mine and pretty happy and so is the wife.

Do they still make a TRV?

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow quite the set up u got going onthere in the front. hunting? or just trail cleaning? If u dont mind me asking what do u have into that set up with the winches, and bumpers and rear box?

I looked and they do have a trv listed on the website but neither of the dealers that i have looked at have any left and said they prolly not getting any more wheelers till spring of next year. :(

Get a trv you will love it and so will she. In some states it is illegal to have a passenger unless it is a dedicated two up machine. Way better ride, more stable in hill climbs and way more comfort for the passenger. You will never go back.
I installed elka shocks on mine and pretty happy and so is the wife.

Do they still make a TRV?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
TRV worth searching for. After owning a 700 Diesel and 700TRV, both with 2 up seats, could never go back . IMHO, the longer wheel base feels safer. My Diesel with Black Boar front box. Storage, LEDs. gun racks, etc. Even put a snorkel in the box on my TRV.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,004 Posts
Cons:
  • the gauge cluster- seems like it hasnt updated and is stuck in the stone ages
  • the fuel tank filling location- im afraid that will be in the way for my wife riding passenger and will rub the backside of her leg (will have to have her with to try and verify that)
  • No Storage boxes- this is kind of a big one for me- there is nothing for storing anything other than the back box between the tail lights and the dealer didnt talk very highly of it. he said he wouldnt trust it and by the looks of the latching mechanism i wouldnt either. i do carry a few things on my current polaris all the time that at least i dont have to my extra stroage bags always installed on the machine

Undecided:
- mechanical 4 wheel drive- i have never seen anything like this. I feel like its a stone age product that might need consistent adjusting of the cable to get to lock in and out- but the other side of is there is nothign electrical about it and if it dont want to go in its gonna be more than likely and adjustment issue which is easy to fix
-seat- i didnt get to sit on it too long or go very for a ride, but the seat didnt feel as plush as my older Polaris one. in fact when i was sitting on the wheeler i felt high off the ground and narrower than my current set up.
Here are some videos on how to use the gauges functions. There’s actually a lot of info on them.

For riding double we do occasionally have a passenger and the fuel cap doesn’t seem to bother them when riding. I never noticed it when riding as a passenger either.

I’m not sure on the model you looked at but Arctic Cat went to a different 4x4 system when Textron bought them with a trigger that engages the front with an open diff style 4x4 which essentially gives you 3x4. If you get an older one with the 4x4/4x4 lock switch those are the best and have true four wheel drive. I use the locker quite a bit on my Alterras. I think the Yamaha Grizzly is the only other brand to offer true 4x4 lock.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
wow quite the set up u got going onthere in the front. hunting? or just trail cleaning? If u dont mind me asking what do u have into that set up with the winches, and bumpers and rear box?

I looked and they do have a trv listed on the website but neither of the dealers that i have looked at have any left and said they prolly not getting any more wheelers till spring of next year. :(
If you get the trv cruiser model it comes with the bumpers and rear box. The rear box is a cat factory piece. I can easily take it off in 2 minutes. There is a factory flat rack for the rear. The front is all factory OEM pieces except the box. It is held on with cat quick release pins. Again 2 minutes to remove it.
We trail ride a lot in the Rockies. My wife doesn’t have good health so we need to be prepared. The chain saw helps clear trail and I have a bigger one for getting firewood, again quick release cat pins to remove.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys for the help and info. Ill do some searching and see what i can come up with. I didnt even know they made a diesel atv.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a question for you all. I was talking with the wife about all this to get her input and she just dropped something new one me. She asked me why we dont just get a sxs like the wildcat/rzr or something of that nature. I really had no answer other than idk, we have never ridden in anything like that so it would be something totally new. First thoughts were the width i didnt like. We have gone on a few trails that are family favorites that ime 99% sure a sxs wouldnt fit.

Have any of you had both? or had one or the other and decided to stick with or go back to the opposite? Now she has the wheels turning again and im off to do more research on those two items now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Here is a question for you all. I was talking with the wife about all this to get her input and she just dropped something new one me. She asked me why we dont just get a sxs like the wildcat/rzr or something of that nature. I really had no answer other than idk, we have never ridden in anything like that so it would be something totally new. First thoughts were the width i didnt like. We have gone on a few trails that are family favorites that ime 99% sure a sxs wouldnt fit.

Have any of you had both? or had one or the other and decided to stick with or go back to the opposite? Now she has the wheels turning again and im off to do more research on those two items now.
Well I find them boring on trail rides. Even the narrow width ones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts