Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 CFR 800 HO. High miles. Owned since new, plugs and reeds only things replaced. Power valves cleaned. Put about 500 miles on this winter, last weekend went for a ride, ran fine, loaded on trailer put a few gallons of gas in it for the next day. Next Day wouldn't start.
Took plugs out and sprayed some starting fluid. Nothing.

Put inside for 3 days. Pulled plugs pulled over and plugs sparking. Tried kill switch plugs stopped firing. Poured some fuel into engine nothing happened. Checked compression 130 each side.
What could have happened to cause it not even try to start? with a couple plugs out and pulling it over, it did seem like it was trying to ignite the fuel, but nothing else.

Help...………………….!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just dealt with a buddies '13 800RR, same thing ran last time, wouldn't start. Took off all panels to find the throttle cable adjustment, the cable must have stretched just enough to set off the safety switches. Adjusted the cable a bit tighter, runs like a top again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A lot of times, I have to hold my throttle open partially to get mine to fire--it pulled the same **** on me that you're describing when I first got it (new to me, a couple years ago) and the only way to get it to right itself was the hold my throttle wide open and pulled over like nine times and it went

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Check stator...they go with high miles and will produce spark in free air but not enough to spark efficiently when under pressure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check stator...they go with high miles and will produce spark in free air but not enough to spark efficiently when under pressure.
Thanks! I am finally going to go test it today. What exactly can happen to these in high mile sleds? I see that an OEM on is $700! Is it better/cheaper to have mine rebuilt? I see inexpensive ones on Ebay but I assume they are Chinese made?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have you checked throttle cable? I tightened mine up and it would not start. Loosened it back up and runs great again. Could be the stator but hopefully not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the Ohm test on the stator and it checks out. The service book lists doing a peak voltage output of it too, but doesn't list what those measurements are supposed to be. Then I am looking for the primary coil test too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I assume if the TPS is not working that it would at least start? It seems from what I read that it will go into limp mode…………. I am at my wits end! Anybody have an ECU that I could pay to borrow to make sure that isn't the issue????

·
Registered
739 Posts
You've never replied whether or not you checked/adjusted the throttle cable. See my previous post. The RR would not start until the cable was adjusted. Quick simple fix.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Look at the throttle body/engine end of the cable, there should be a bracket with a jam nut underneath, loosen it up and turn the body in/out, watch or have someone else watch the throttle paddle at the handlebar; tighten it, pulling the paddle in a little. If it gets out of adjustment from the cable stretching, the throttle safety switches won't let the sled start. The RR's adjustment was about a foot up the cable from the engine side, but I think the CFR's are like the Firecats right at the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
Trp97
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing