Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been off the forum for a bit, but figured I’d share this here as well. Bought a 2020 1.3 qs3 holdover at my dealership for the wife/second sled. Doing the trail/grudge race build first. Once I get that where I want it, I’m gonna do a deep snow/off-trail build on same sled. Then switch between the two when needed. Episode 1. From crate to showroom to lift.... 0 miles. Goal for trail build is to make it as capable as possible on trails and roll 115 mph in good hard pack conditions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Episode 3. Got driveshaft and track installed. Went with 10t 2.52 drivers and hacksaw r 144x14x1 track. Found out that it’s wayyy too tight. Suspension won’t cycle properly with rear axle adjustment all the way forward.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Episode 4. Making it work...The rear axle wheel spacers have a protruding part so it stays aligned in the rail slot. But that also prevents the axle from moving all the way forward.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Episode 5. Gained enough adjustment/slack with spacer mod, but moving the rear axle that much farther forward causes the track to contact the rear of the rails. So a little bit of help was needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tension is now within spec and suspension cycles as it should. Will finish gears and clutching tomorrow night. This is a brand new track and brand new drivers. Will put some miles on and break in track before I stud. First pic angle kinda sucks. At 20lbs I have about 1 3/4 space between track and bottom of rails/hyfax. Second pic shows slack/droop with axle fully forward.

·
Super Moderator
9,018 Posts
Interesting build.

Bummer with the driver and track combo being so tight. I wonder how much that one will stretch? Maybe you can go back to the stock spacers after break in. The spacers are pretty cheap and those little tabs can make it easier to retain the axle.
I'm curious to see how you hit the speed goal. That's hauling with that length.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally done with initial set up. Gonna start breaking it in tomorrow after work. Curious to see what it pulls for mph in break-in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Interesting build.

Bummer with the driver and track combo being so tight. I wonder how much that one will stretch? Maybe you can go back to the stock spacers after break in. The spacers are pretty cheap and those little tabs can make it easier to retain the axle.
I'm curious to see how you hit the speed goal. That's hauling with that length.
Might end up going with an offset axle. Want 9in wheels in back. I’m sure the spacers are cheap. Didn’t look them up, but being a tech at a Cat dealer certainly helps when you are doing a build...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got some seat time today. Unfortunately we didn’t come across any trails smooth enough to do any top end pulls. I saw 107 on speedo and was still pulling very hard. Next time I am out I’ll do some gps pulls. I will say, that for being in break-in, I was very impressed. 30-100 is ridiculous for a stock 800. I have a 16 Zr 800 Ltd 137 that has a fresh top end and runs strong. All stock besides clutching and 2per bay carbide trail studs. It’s one of the strongest running stock zuk 800 I’ve ridden. That being said, the Riot absolutely embarrasses it. 30mph roll and by 90 the riot is ahead by at least 4-5 lengths. Possibly more. Cat should have made the 144x14x1 track an option for these sleds. Corners waaayyy better than you think it should. Can’t wait to get it fully broke in and really fine tune the clutching and gearing. I’m confident after a little seat time, that if geared and clutched properly, it will pull 115+ easily. 120+ on super hard pack/ice.

·
Registered
2019 ZR 8000 LE ES 137x1.25" studs, Dual 6", BD-xtreme: Billet Heads, Y-pipe, Blk OPS Can & V3R Reed
17 Posts
Any engine mods planned or just gearing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any engine mods planned or just gearing?
Gonna get the most out of it that I can with stock engine first. Then if I decide to do anything to the engine, I’ll know exactly what I gain from any engine mods. I am a firm believer in making work the best you can before adding any power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got the studs installed. Went 2 per bay to start. After riding it some, I think it’s enough. Was gonna go 3 per, but not sure it’s needed. 1.575 triggers in the 1in hacksaw gives a true 3/4in penetration. Almost out of break in. Have seen 110+ out of it already. It loves this track/driver combo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So...... Build number two is underway. Unfortunately I threw a pic through my front exchanger on my 16 ZR 800 and lost all coolant almost immediately. By the time temp light came on..... it was too late. So I was obligated to adopt our last Riot. 21 1.6. I have been so impressed with the wife’s Riot. The 21 will be getting the same track and drivers, but that’s where the similarities end. Hopefully we have enough season left to see how the two sleds stack up. The Riot is a very capable trail sled when set up right. The 21 will be a little more “aggressive” build. Stock turbo’s will be eating snow dust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts