Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
So in all fairness, is that acceptable to have an RPM range that is unusable and also harmful to the engine? What percentage of buyers do zero clutch work and don't ride like the cops are chasing them, 70%, 80%? So for them, either find straight flat trails and open her up or open your wallets again. This just keeps getting better, so does the idea of a 4 stroke turbo in a blue procross chassis.
It is not, but you also have wonderful EPA to deal with. Betting side of me says will be taken care of by Mid Summer.just needs more fuel.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You say it is not, but yet sleds were sold this way. As per history, the clutching could have been better from the factory. You bet with your money, on a 6000, guess your gambling habits don't weigh much on this, unless it be to bang the drum...again.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You say it is not, but yet sleds were sold this way. As per history, the clutching could have been better from the factory. You bet with your money, on a 6000, guess your gambling habits don't weigh much on this, unless it be to bang the drum...again.
Little butt hurt? Just saying what my dealers mechanic told me. Torn between the 8000 Limited and the 6000 RR. Not drum beating what so ever. It sucks when an engine goes down. I've been pretty lucky. Only one in all my purchases (all Cat). 1998 ZL 500. Lost a crank bearing at 95 plus on the speedometer. Back in less than a week.

·
Super Moderator
9,173 Posts
So in all fairness, is that acceptable to have an RPM range that is unusable and also harmful to the engine? What percentage of buyers do zero clutch work and don't ride like the cops are chasing them, 70%, 80%? So for them, either find straight flat trails and open her up or open your wallets again. This just keeps getting better, so does the idea of a 4 stroke turbo in a blue procross chassis.
I understand and I agree with the sentiment in the first sentence. It isn't acceptable and needs to be fixed.
The rest of the rhetoric doesn't help.

I'm sure we would all love a perfect looking, perfect running, and perfect riding machine. One that works perfect for every rider might be a little tough. These forums would be dullsville if we all came on here and said my machine looks perfect, runs perfect and rides perfect. I'd love to say the same thing all day. The reality though, is like most products. There is room for improvement and sometimes it isn't obvious until something breaks.

I have a 20 ZR and it has the hiccup range. It didn't seem like a big deal. It was just annoying if you were in the speed range.(super slow cruising) That sled has about 6,000 miles now. Gas and oil are the only things needed under the hood. It has been a great machine. I ordered a 21 ZR expecting to deal with it in the same manner. It didn't take much riding to see there was a difference that didn't show up on the specs. The hiccup range was at a different speed, plus the sled ran completely different on top. The 21 had the hiccup at slightly higher speeds, which is closer to cruising/riding. It would be a lot worse with lower gearing.
It took awhile to narrow down the difference in clutching and get the 21 to run like the 20. I tried a number of variables with stock components and finally swapped primaries before I found the difference. It wasn't a simple task, but I figured it might help someone. During the process, I also discovered some remedies to make the sleds run even better.

I get the frustration with a sled that isn't running right or broke. I've had plenty of those over the years with various brands. Kicking, screaming and complaining didn't seem to fix things. Knowledge has helped. I have often found fixes in the forums. Sometimes we learn and figure out solutions together. These discussions can be a useful tool when we avoid the kicking, screaming, and complaining.

Reactions: ponycarfan

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
a
Little butt hurt? Just saying what my dealers mechanic told me. Torn between the 8000 Limited and the 6000 RR. Not drum beating what so ever. It sucks when an engine goes down. I've been pretty lucky. Only one in all my purchases (all Cat). 1998 ZL 500. Lost a crank bearing at 95 plus on the speedometer. Back in less than a week.
Not butt hurt at all, I didn't buy one. I'm a little bit picky about performance too and if I drop $15k I want something that runs out of the box. I don't expect to be buying parts that should have worked as new to begin with.

Rhetoric also would include predicting this will be fixed by mid summer one the snow has all melted.

·
Administrator
2,576 Posts
Not butt hurt at all, I didn't buy one. I'm a little bit picky about performance too and if I drop $15k I want something that runs out of the box. I don't expect to be buying parts that should have worked as new to begin with.

Rhetoric also would include predicting this will be fixed by mid summer one the snow has all melted.
😂😅😂

The bold coming from someone who likes triples.... is hilarious

modern sleds are infinitely better out of the box than anything from that era, let alone the zrts that left the factory jetted for -40f, and clutched way out in left field

·
Registered
29 Posts
a

Your ego isn’t as fragile as you think. Stop wasting energy defending it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
An EFI sled that self destructs is hilarious, unless you bought one expecting to ride it. I'm not defending my ZRT, which cost me much, much less to buy or own, or my fragile ego, ad hominem much? Should I change my name and buy a new 800 and wait for it to vomit up a piston?

·
Super Moderator
8,456 Posts
Yamaha’s 800 two stroke Mountain sled has their own fuel mapping, more refined; crisper ; no issues with lean down. Why doesn’t A/C remap using Yamaha’s fuel mapping? This lean down/ burn up issue is only happening when at trail speed to meet EPA standards, wondering if the Yamaha mapping would fix this lean down issue? Lean down is occurring at deceleration, 37% leaner on Mag. side! Another poster on site reminded me of a friend that works at a R&D department that works on all types of recreational and race vehicles, his dyno reports also states, at 4100-5300 rpm the engine is leaning down 29% more than necessary! Over short term use it will result in a engine failure and or decrease in engine longevity! I was informed by my A/C mechanic there is a fix coming, but when no one knows!
No it doesn’t. The mapping is exactly the same between the 2. The only difference in those sleds is one says Yamaha

·
Registered
623 Posts
No it doesn’t. The mapping is exactly the same between the 2. The only difference in those sleds is one says Yamaha
classo thread you started has gotten out of control, looked at one extended warranty with the full coverage I was looking for, just a little to pricey for me; going to keep searching. Might be a little time to get back to you, I’m working at home on a project on my drafting board for a M-X manufacturer in my spare time.... have to pay the difference on my new sled I just ordered; have to make some extra scratch! Chat soon dude!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, first time chiming in. Wanted to buy a new 800 sled and finding out late that there’s major promblems with this motor. My question is has AC even recognize the the malfunction? Have they reached out to the people who bought these sleds? Has anybody received any type of letter? And are they gonna do a recall on this motors. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hello, first time chiming in. Wanted to buy a new 800 sled and finding out late that there’s major promblems with this motor. My question is has AC even recognize the the malfunction? Have they reached out to the people who bought these sleds? Has anybody received any type of letter? And are they gonna do a recall on this motors. Thanks for any info.
No to all.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi J,
My 2018 ZR8000 137 recently had a complete mag side melt down, rod bearing, and destroyed the case also. I purchased the sled new, completely stock, always used CTEC oil, never hot, no noise or lights prior. I am a 50 year old rider and take very good care of my sleds. This is UNACCEPTABLE in a $13,000 + sled that I had hoped to ride for more than 1 1/2 YEARS!!! Only had 4,600 miles, and happened traveling down a nice trail at approx. 50 mph. I was riding with 10 other sleds and we all filled at the same gas station. It was only 9 months out of warranty, returned to the dealer for diagnosis... They can not say what the cause was, but I believe a combination of a lean condition and not enough oil to rod bearings, and other important areas. I don't believe this was a snow ingestion issue as I was on groomed trails all morning.
I patiently waited for 2 months for Textron/Cat to offer anything to help, and NOTHING!!! I tried numerous different routes thru the company. I am now looking at a long block to the tune of $3,500 + Install cost, remapping, etc. to hopefully avoid a similar issue in the future.
I have owned over 25+ Arctic Cats in the past 20+ years, and will NEVER buy a new one again!!! I currently own 3 other older Arctic Cats with higher miles and all run great!! Oh by they all have SUZUKI engines!!!
It is VERY obvious Textron/Cat is nothing like the prior company. I cant believe they would not at a minimum offered me a long block for cost!!! NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING!!!
I have bled green for 20+ years, and will now be looking at Ski Doo or Polaris as they have 3 and 4 year warranties on there 850's!!! This was not an easy decision, as this was my favorite cat prior to the ENGINE FAILURE!!!
Do I part out or throw another $5,000 at a new sled and hope I get lucky!!!! I will now send everyone I know considering a new 800-850 purchase to SKI DOO or POLARIS for their next purchase!
Good luck! I would not wish my situation upon my worst enemy!!!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Wanted to buy a new 800 sled and finding out late that there’s major promblems with this motor. My question is has AC even recognize the the malfunction? Have they reached out to the people who bought these sleds? Has anybody received any type of letter? And are they gonna do a recall on this motors. Thanks for any info.
@Jjustice Unfortunately, there are 3 factors that seem to be REALLY pi$$ing people off:
1. The fact that the 800 engine & clutching have been unpolished for so long since it's release and not corrected. There have been multiple issues related to fuel mapping, injectors, clutching, and general durability that have led to dissatisfaction with this motor
2. Poor dealer support
3. Lack of parts

So....for those hardcore 800 riders that put on lots of miles, there seems to be an unacceptable failure rate followed by inability to correct the issues. As a result, many folks (myself included) are steering clear of the 800 until Cat has a solution and corrects the issues that impact its performance & durability.

Hi J,
My 2018 ZR8000 137 recently had a complete mag side melt down, rod bearing, and destroyed the case also. I purchased the sled new, completely stock, always used CTEC oil, never hot, no noise or lights prior. I am a 50 year old rider and take very good care of my sleds. This is UNACCEPTABLE in a $13,000 + sled that I had hoped to ride for more than 1 1/2 YEARS!!! Only had 4,600 miles, and happened traveling down a nice trail at approx. 50 mph. I was riding with 10 other sleds and we all filled at the same gas station. It was only 9 months out of warranty, returned to the dealer for diagnosis... They can not say what the cause was, but I believe a combination of a lean condition and not enough oil to rod bearings, and other important areas. I don't believe this was a snow ingestion issue as I was on groomed trails all morning.
I patiently waited for 2 months for Textron/Cat to offer anything to help, and NOTHING!!! I tried numerous different routes thru the company. I am now looking at a long block to the tune of $3,500 + Install cost, remapping, etc. to hopefully avoid a similar issue in the future.
I have owned over 25+ Arctic Cats in the past 20+ years, and will NEVER buy a new one again!!! I currently own 3 other older Arctic Cats with higher miles and all run great!! Oh by they all have SUZUKI engines!!!
It is VERY obvious Textron/Cat is nothing like the prior company. I cant believe they would not at a minimum offered me a long block for cost!!! NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING!!!
I have bled green for 20+ years, and will now be looking at Ski Doo or Polaris as they have 3 and 4 year warranties on there 850's!!! This was not an easy decision, as this was my favorite cat prior to the ENGINE FAILURE!!!
Do I part out or throw another $5,000 at a new sled and hope I get lucky!!!! I will now send everyone I know considering a new 800-850 purchase to SKI DOO or POLARIS for their next purchase!
Good luck! I would not wish my situation upon my worst enemy!!!
@Loyal Cat Guy -- Most would agree that Cat seemingly took a step backwards after discontinuing Suzuki's engines. Frankly, I jumped ship to a '22 Polaris with their 4 year warranty. It pains me to do so, especially after owning 29 new Cats since 1990, but I'm unwilling to accept the risk of buying a new Cat given how short the riding season is. Textron has to draw a line somewhere in regards to warranty coverage, but being as they are aware of their issues, and how long they've been ongoing, I don't blame you for being upset.

·
Registered
623 Posts
@Jjustice Unfortunately, there are 3 factors that seem to be REALLY pi$$ing people off:
1. The fact that the 800 engine & clutching have been unpolished for so long since it's release and not corrected. There have been multiple issues related to fuel mapping, injectors, clutching, and general durability that have led to dissatisfaction with this motor
2. Poor dealer support
3. Lack of parts

So....for those hardcore 800 riders that put on lots of miles, there seems to be an unacceptable failure rate followed by inability to correct the issues. As a result, many folks (myself included) are steering clear of the 800 until Cat has a solution and corrects the issues that impact its performance & durability.

@Loyal Cat Guy -- Most would agree that Cat seemingly took a step backwards after discontinuing Suzuki's engines. Frankly, I jumped ship to a '22 Polaris with their 4 year warranty. It pains me to do so, especially after owning 29 new Cats since 1990, but I'm unwilling to accept the risk of buying a new Cat given how short the riding season is. Textron has to draw a line somewhere in regards to warranty coverage, but being as they are aware of their issues, and how long they've been ongoing, I don't blame you for being upset.
Quite certain that ALL manufacturers of 800 series engine’s have been having issues trying to meet EPA standards. Co worker purchased a Polaris Assault 850, and put on 7 whole miles on it and it blew up! Hearings horror stories of others 800cc that experience the same, seems to me that upon purchase the owner has to stay away from the stumble/bog/surging zone and drive the living B-Jebus out of it. Or as a few posts past mentioned that reclutching is one way to stay out of the danger zone, as well as remapping the ECU at the owners expense; now that is just not fair! Mountain sleds are exempt, no one rides a sled in the mountains even close to the danger zone; those sleds are ridden hard all day long...to the max baby! Maybe bringing back a revised and updated Suzuki 900 series engine is what A/C should be looking at doing in the future,doubt it would meet EPA standards but with the proper porting and intake timing this can be accomplished. I know... I worked at a M-X bike R&D department and brought back a 125 and 250 two strokes last produced in 2005, together in conjunction with the two engineers from the land of the rising sun we engineered a engine that meet EPA and the CEET test that was 8 times cleaner than the ‘05 versions. It’s only downfall is that the cylinder looks like Swiss cheese and has a bridged exhaust port,without proper warming up upon cold start catastrophic engine damage is bound to occur.

·
Registered
29 Posts
😂😅😂

The bold coming from someone who likes triples.... is hilarious

modern sleds are infinitely better out of the box than anything from that era, let alone the zrts that left the factory jetted for -40f, and clutched way out in left field
@Krom, Have you heard anything about an ECU flash from the factory? All of the talk about a flash or a recall or any update from Cat has dropped off, and it makes me wonder if there's anything in the pipeline.

·
Registered
260 Posts
@Krom, Have you heard anything about an ECU flash from the factory? All of the talk about a flash or a recall or any update from Cat has dropped off, and it makes me wonder if there's anything in the pipeline.
There never was a fix coming. If the epa would allow a fix it wouldve happend already.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am presently waiting for the dealer to get back to me after asking Arctic Cat for Customer Courtesy on fixing my sled. They said it through a connector rod... Ya... Okay... but what made it do that? I am getting a copy of their support request to Cat tomorrow and I will not rest until they do the right thing... Class action may be the way to go if they do not stand behind their products. I was even considering a small claims suit just to be a thorn in their side and hopefully let them put a $500 + an hour lawyer on it as it is now up to $35 000 judgements but I am not sure if that is possible as Textron's Ottawa location is permanently closed so I am not sure where I could have such delivered subpoena sent. Hopefully they will do the right thing? as I am sure hundreds or thousands of posts like these will not do Arctic Cat sales or the brand well in the long run...
If it's outside of warranty period they won't need any lawyer in a small claims court.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts