Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck! I think you are going to need it on the all inclusive resort like warranty... lol... I was thinking about getting rid of this Riot with the 800 CTEC2 and possibly looking at a 600 as there doesn't seem to be as many issues with them... hate to give up the power but don't use it all that often anyway... I am kind of gun shy about riding alone now and want to mitigate the risk of being stuck out in the middle of now where as much as possible.
Classo,

I put on 1340 miles on my wife's new 2021 Sidewinder. 4 stoke beast. No issues whatsoever. I do too much solo riding to worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere because an engine is unreliable. This is the 3rd Yamaha she's had, my buddy bought the first one and he is still riding it. 2004 RX-1 7000 miles. We're using her 2013 Apex, 4000 miles as a back up, until something is done with the Riot. I did like my ACs and when the Riot did run; for it's brief life, it was incredible. Unless Textron is going to do the right thing by getting this engine to perform as it should and extending the warranties, I will more than likely trade brands, I have just lost confidence in Arctic Cat.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Classo,

I put on 1340 miles on my wife's new 2021 Sidewinder. 4 stoke beast. No issues whatsoever. I do too much solo riding to worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere because an engine is unreliable. This is the 3rd Yamaha she's had, my buddy bought the first one and he is still riding it. 2004 RX-1 7000 miles. We're using her 2013 Apex, 4000 miles as a back up, until something is done with the Riot. I did like my ACs and when the Riot did run; for it's brief life, it was incredible. Unless Textron is going to do the right thing by getting this engine to perform as it should and extending the warranties, I will more than likely trade brands, I have just lost confidence in Arctic Cat.
Yamaha’s 800 two stroke Mountain sled has their own fuel mapping, more refined; crisper ; no issues with lean down. Why doesn’t A/C remap using Yamaha’s fuel mapping? This lean down/ burn up issue is only happening when at trail speed to meet EPA standards, wondering if the Yamaha mapping would fix this lean down issue? Lean down is occurring at deceleration, 37% leaner on Mag. side! Another poster on site reminded me of a friend that works at a R&D department that works on all types of recreational and race vehicles, his dyno reports also states, at 4100-5300 rpm the engine is leaning down 29% more than necessary! Over short term use it will result in a engine failure and or decrease in engine longevity! I was informed by my A/C mechanic there is a fix coming, but when no one knows!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Didnt know Yamaha uses a different mapping on the two strokes does the dealer put in a different map its not dont at the factory?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Not sure if true, but stopped into my local dealer and the mechanic told me the biggest reason for the 800 issues is they are not being worked hard enough. Next to zero issues in the mountain sleds as they are constantly being pushed hard. Lack of snow and easy riding is causing the motors to run lean. He has been putting in more aggressive clutching and it has made a world of difference. It is a mapping issue. But hard to solve.

·
Administrator
2,576 Posts
Yamaha’s 800 two stroke Mountain sled has their own fuel mapping, more refined; crisper ; no issues with lean down. Why doesn’t A/C remap using Yamaha’s fuel mapping? This lean down/ burn up issue is only happening when at trail speed to meet EPA standards, wondering if the Yamaha mapping would fix this lean down issue? Lean down is occurring at deceleration, 37% leaner on Mag. side! Another poster on site reminded me of a friend that works at a R&D department that works on all types of recreational and race vehicles, his dyno reports also states, at 4100-5300 rpm the engine is leaning down 29% more than necessary! Over short term use it will result in a engine failure and or decrease in engine longevity! I was informed by my A/C mechanic there is a fix coming, but when no one knows!
That is not true at all, yamahaha has the same mapping as cat, hell the entire sled is the same as cat except for the decals....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not sure if true, but stopped into my local dealer and the mechanic told me the biggest reason for the 800 issues is they are not being worked hard enough. Next to zero issues in the mountain sleds as they are constantly being pushed hard. Lack of snow and easy riding is causing the motors to run lean. He has been putting in more aggressive clutching and it has made a world of difference. It is a mapping issue. But hard to solve.
Same engine TOTALLY different mapping! Mountain sleds run wide open all day long, they don’t run in the stumble zone. Zr6000 is correct, A/C mechanic explained the same thing to me. Yamaha’s mapping is more refined, watched reviews on T.V and I read a lot of snowmobile magazines all say the same thing; refined!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Same engine TOTALLY different mapping! Mountain sleds run wide open all day long, they don’t run in the stumble zone. Zr6000 is correct, A/C mechanic explained the same thing to me. Yamaha’s mapping is more refined, watched reviews on T.V and I read a lot of snowmobile magazines all say the same thing; refined!
Body work?

·
Administrator
2,576 Posts
That is wrong, and a lie.
Snowest retracted their typo/claim that yamahaha used different mapping. The mountain max is listed as an arctic cat sled for epa certification, and has the same certification as every other 800 cat engine...
Look for engine family M3AXY.794CWI in row 10 of the epa certification spreadsheet, where it lists the models that are covered under that family as
Riot X 8000, Riot 8000, ZR 8000, M 8000, NORSEMAN 8000, MP 800, M M 800
FWIW None of the AC mountain sleds are having an issue either.

EPA certification data is here:

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's why I questioned the 30hrs and only 600km earlier in this thread. Not being run hard at all.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
You got wrong info

·
Registered
623 Posts
I didn't say liar, I said the info you've got is incorrect.

Krom knows more about cats than you and I ever will.

Media has to get the story straight! Just passing on the info that I have read, and saw on the tube, don’t stone the messenger! Put yourself in someone else’s shoes before posting. Thanks dude!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Media has to get the story straight! Just passing on the info that I have read, and saw on the tube, don’t stone the messenger! Put yourself in someone else’s shoes before posting. Thanks dude!
I didn't stone anyone. Who's shoes would you like me to put on? The yammies have the same (including mapping) ctec 800 as the cats do and that my friend is a fact.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Already told you that snowest corrected their story, and posted the proof that you are wrong....
not sure why you are arguing
Never hear about the correction, and I also heard about in other media outlets. Excuse me for I’m not on Facebook or any other social networks, so I don’t get the information as quickly as you do. All I have is this site, and you have correct the info. Thanks dude! Not going to turn this into a thread like the oil discussion, I’m not arguing, just trying to tell you and others of what I heard; and you have corrected it. I’m not quite sure exactly what you want me to say? Thanks for the info that you posted Krom , good reading.

·
Registered
908 Posts
So we determined the mapping is the same but the clutching and clutches are of a totally different design?

·
Super Moderator
9,173 Posts
Please!
We are losing sight of the topic.
There is a range where you can hear the engine pinging/detonation with the current mapping. It drives me nuts to hear it and I worked hard to clutch out of the range.
Stock ZR sleds with the gearing and engagement will run in the annoying range at low speeds. It varies from year to year based on the tweaks to the primary. The 20 primary is in the range just off engagement. The 21 seems to be moving a little faster.
Riding style and gearing also affects how long the engine is in the rpm range. It is rare to see a sled in the mountains slowly cruising. The gearing also drives the sled through the lower rpm range relatively quick in deep snow conditions.

I would also like to note that Krom has given you good factual information. Facts are an important part of the discussion.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
So in all fairness, is that acceptable to have an RPM range that is unusable and also harmful to the engine? What percentage of buyers do zero clutch work and don't ride like the cops are chasing them, 70%, 80%? So for them, either find straight flat trails and open her up or open your wallets again. This just keeps getting better, so does the idea of a 4 stroke turbo in a blue procross chassis.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts