Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,173 Posts
I'm curious about the motor that @Dave78 posted. The PTO piston failed in an odd manner. Hard to tell if that is actually a lean condition.
That appears to be a different problem vs. the wrist pin failures.

I can't simply divide this thread into two different threads, but we have two completely different problems in the same discussion.

Reactions: ponycarfan

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Are they really different though? I will agree that it is hard to tell from the pictures the exact failure mode on each of those pistons but both seem to be deteriorating from something, at 5000 RPM the crank rotates 83 times a second and the piston is stroking 166 times (up and down stokes counted as 2) every second. At 8000 RPM it is 133 revolutions per second of the crank with 266 strokes, to put it plainly damage happens extremely fast at that pace and a second or two an make a difference in the outcome. The one piston broke free of it's wrist pin which would definitely cause a catastrophic failure on the next revolution instantly destroying the case, if it had been shut down a few seconds earlier it may very well resemble the engine that did not suffer a ruptured case. I can agree two different outcomes but I am not convinced there are two different reasons.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Are they really different though? I will agree that it is hard to tell from the pictures the exact failure mode on each off those pistons but both seem to be deteriorating from something, at 5000 RPM the crank rotates 83 times a second and the piston is stroking 166 times (up and down stokes counted as 2) every second. At 8000 RPM it is 133 revolutions per second of the crank with 266 strokes, to put it plainly damage happens extremely fast at that pace and a second or two an make a difference in the outcome. The one piston broke free of it's wrist pin which would definitely cause a catastrophic failure on the next revolution instantly destroying the case, if it had been shut down a few seconds earlier it may very well resemble the engine that did not suffer a ruptured case. I can agree two different outcomes but I am not convinced there are two different reasons.
Are they really different though? I will agree that it is hard to tell from the pictures the exact failure mode on each off those pistons but both seem to be deteriorating from something, at 5000 RPM the crank rotates 83 times a second and the piston is stroking 166 times (up and down stokes counted as 2) every second. At 8000 RPM it is 133 revolutions per second of the crank with 266 strokes, to put it plainly damage happens extremely fast at that pace and a second or two an make a difference in the outcome. The one piston broke free of it's wrist pin which would definitely cause a catastrophic failure on the next revolution instantly destroying the case, if it had been shut down a few seconds earlier it may very well resemble the engine that did not suffer a ruptured case. I can agree two different outcomes but I am not convinced there are two different reasons.
classo perhaps you should talk to Market Place about the reliability of your sled, this type of issue should never have happened dude! Words of mention though, A/C is not the only manufacturer that has been having issues with their 800-850cc engines; ALL MANUFACTURERS are stumbling around in the dark trying to resolve short engine life/reliability issues and trying to keep EPA standards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
classo perhaps you should talk to Market Place about the reliability of your sled, this type of issue should never have happened dude! Words of mention though, A/C is not the only manufacturer that has been having issues with their 800-850cc engines; ALL MANUFACTURERS are stumbling around in the dark trying to resolve short engine life/reliability issues and trying to keep EPA standards.
Great idea... but I am going to wait and see if I get a reply from Arctic Cat's VP before doing anything as I want to give them the opportunity to do the right thing...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I applaud you for giving them the time to do the right thing. In a large company it may take a while to get to the right person. I just hope that they will give the proper response. I agree that they should take upper management out on a 100 mile wilderness night ride at -20 degrees. If they are so proud of their sleds, it shouldn't be a problem, should it? (that may also have them consider a windshield option)

·
Registered
623 Posts
No one builds a good windshield anymore. It must sell more helmets....
Classo and captainruss, you dude’s are right, give A/C some time to respond. A/C is a large corporation, it takes time for a response from them; however it should not drag out too long. I hope for A/C’s sake their not saying “ if we wait long enough the complainant(s) will just fade away” I don’t like to say this, but someone in this world is going to blow the whistle on this reliability issue; won’t be me; but eventually it will come out. And I’m going to say this again, ALL MANUFACTURERS are having fuel mapping issues of their 800-850 series engine’s that are being trail ridden, not just A/C!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well I just heard back from Arctic Cat and they offered to cover the cost of all parts but not the labor... So it will cost me about a $1000. Still not completely happy but I appreciate their good will gesture as it could of been much worse if they would of denied me completely for being a few months out of warranty.

The dealership mentioned that they only warranty such repairs for 45 days... So now I am asking how does that work if there is no snow to be able to test it regularly within the 45 days? That being said... is it possible to schedule the work not to be done until December of 2021? lol... We will see what they have to say...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
With a 45 day warranty April to June you might as well build it yourself and save the coin. I'd bet they wouldn't take that deal though, dealer would squeal like a pig.

I say this as I set in my shop next to a tractor engine that should have already been back in the tractor, so don't pay me much heed. In all fairness though i been riding snowmobile. I know not everyone wants greasy fingers and skinned up knuckles, most of those guys ride a different brand though, lol. Glad they offered that much at least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I just heard back from Arctic Cat and they offered to cover the cost of all parts but not the labor... So it will cost me about a $1000. Still not completely happy but I appreciate their good will gesture as it could of been much worse if they would of denied me completely for being a few months out of warranty.

The dealership mentioned that they only warranty such repairs for 45 days... So now I am asking how does that work if there is no snow to be able to test it regularly within the 45 days? That being said... is it possible to schedule the work not to be done until December of 2021? lol... We will see what they have to say...
Hi Classo,
I have a 2018 ZR8000 Limited purchased new. Never overheated, CTEC oil, no issues or lights. It recently melted down at about 60 MPH on wide trail. Mag side issues similar to yours had only 4,600 miles and 9 months out of warranty. No luck yet with dealer or Cat. I have not made it by the first person at customer service yet. Would you be able to share some Cat contacts that may help?
Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
With a 45 day warranty April to June you might as well build it yourself and save the coin. I'd bet they wouldn't take that deal though, dealer would squeal like a pig.

I say this as I set in my shop next to a tractor engine that should have already been back in the tractor, so don't pay me much heed. In all fairness though i been riding snowmobile. I know not everyone wants greasy fingers and skinned up knuckles, most of those guys ride a different brand though, lol. Glad they offered that much at least.
classo, one option is to purchase some extended warranty, a bit pricey but worth it; gives you a piece of mind knowing you won’t be totally on the hook for a large repair bill. Beware of some warranties like the one that I purchased, in small print; in legal jargon; going to make this easy to understand. Customer is liable for paying for any shop labour occurred to investigate what the issue is. So in other words I’m on hook for the tear down, salesman did not discuss this with me at the time of purchase; like really bogus dude! Most extended warranties want you to purchase it before the first year warranty expires. I’m like totally impressed with A/C replacing your engine dude! Didn’t think that they would actually help you out, I’m presuming that A/C is actually trying to save their reputation; as they should. Kind’ov a bummer that you’re still going to have pay out of your pocket for shop time, but I guess it’s better than getting a slap in the n..s with a frozen moccasin!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Hi Classo,
I have a 2018 ZR8000 Limited purchased new. Never overheated, CTEC oil, no issues or lights. It recently melted down at about 60 MPH on wide trail. Mag side issues similar to yours had only 4,600 miles and 9 months out of warranty. No luck yet with dealer or Cat. I have not made it by the first person at customer service yet. Would you be able to share some Cat contacts that may help?
Thanks
Some user who saw my story in this forum was kind enough to help me out with a name... via a totally separate post for privacy reasons... He asked me not share the contact or tell anyone where I got it... I also had to do the leg work to figure the contacts email address and I had all my photos and pages and pages of comments of others with similar problems from Facebooks groups that I posted in as collateral... I also think that I was lucky because the sled was 2020 with only 30 hours... a lot less than yours... Hopefully the person who helped me will see your post as well and they may decide to do the same for you... I am sorry but I feel I have to honor their request to me and not share the name I got... Best of Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
classo, one option is to purchase some extended warranty, a bit pricey but worth it; gives you a piece of mind knowing you won’t be totally on the hook for a large repair bill. Beware of some warranties like the one that I purchased, in small print; in legal jargon; going to make this easy to understand. Customer is liable for paying for any shop labour occurred to investigate what the issue is. So in other words I’m on hook for the tear down, salesman did not discuss this with me at the time of purchase; like really bogus dude! Most extended warranties want you to purchase it before the first year warranty expires. I’m like totally impressed with A/C replacing your engine dude! Didn’t think that they would actually help you out, I’m presuming that A/C is actually trying to save their reputation; as they should. Kind’ov a bummer that you’re still going to have pay out of your pocket for shop time, but I guess it’s better than getting a slap in the n..s with a frozen moccasin!
I watched a Market Place special years ago... more or less saying stay away from extended warranties and since have never even considered such... but after this experience I may think twice... lol...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some user who saw my story in this forum was kind enough to help me out with a name... via a totally separate post for privacy reasons... He asked me not share the contact or tell anyone where I got it... I also had to do the leg work to figure the contacts email address and I had all my photos and pages and pages of comments of others with similar problems from Facebooks groups that I posted in as collateral... I also think that I was lucky because the sled was 2020 with only 30 hours... a lot less than yours... Hopefully the person who helped me will see your post as well and they may decide to do the same for you... I am sorry but I feel I have to honor their request to me and not share the name I got... Best of Luck!
Thanks I understand. Hopefully can work something out as I have owned 25 Cats throughout the years, and am trying to stay loyal.

·
Registered
623 Posts
[/QUOT
I watched a Market Place special years ago... more or less saying stay away from extended warranties and since have never even considered such... but after this experience I may think twice... lol...
I have to find a different vendor of extended warranties, traded in my ‘19 Zr 800 for a ‘22 Zr 600 RR spring order today, warranty is not transferable to my new ride. Going to take some time to find a better extended warranty that has full coverage, perhaps one that includes lodging, transportation and food reimbursements, asking a lot; but my extended warranty on my car has all of the above mentioned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I have to find a different vendor of extended warranties, traded in my ‘19 Zr 800 for a ‘22 Zr 600 RR spring order today, warranty is not transferable to my new ride. Going to take some time to find a better extended warranty that has full coverage, perhaps one that includes lodging, transportation and food reimbursements, asking a lot; but my extended warranty on my car has all of the above mentioned.
Good luck! I think you are going to need it on the all inclusive resort like warranty... lol... I was thinking about getting rid of this Riot with the 800 CTEC2 and possibly looking at a 600 as there doesn't seem to be as many issues with them... hate to give up the power but don't use it all that often anyway... I am kind of gun shy about riding alone now and want to mitigate the risk of being stuck out in the middle of now where as much as possible.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Good luck! I think you are going to need it on the all inclusive resort like warranty... lol... I was thinking about getting rid of this Riot with the 800 CTEC2 and possibly looking at a 600 as there doesn't seem to be as many issues with them... hate to give up the power but don't use it all that often anyway... I am kind of gun shy about riding alone now and want to mitigate the risk of being stuck out in the middle of now where as much as possible.
I have a auto extended warranty with the listed above coverage, for I don’t see that I won’t be able to purchase one for my sled. Traded in my ‘19 Zr 800 for a spring ordered ‘22 Zr 600 RR yesterday, I no longer have confidence in the reliability of the 800 series engine’s from ANY manufacturers. 600RR will be cheaper to insure, fuel used daily goes down, my need for speed with a big bore has been subdued; age; and my love for just trail riding over long distances ; I just don’t need to be going Mach 2 anymore with my hair on fire no longer! Let you know what warranties I find in the future classo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I have a auto extended warranty with the listed above coverage, for I don’t see that I won’t be able to purchase one for my sled. Traded in my ‘19 Zr 800 for a spring ordered ‘22 Zr 600 RR yesterday, I no longer have confidence in the reliability of the 800 series engine’s from ANY manufacturers. 600RR will be cheaper to insure, fuel used daily goes down, my need for speed with a big bore has been subdued; age; and my love for just trail riding over long distances ; I just don’t need to be going Mach 2 anymore with my hair on fire no longer! Let you know what warranties I find in the future classo.
I hear ya... Much appreciated!

61 - 80 of 119 Posts